Class action: Get $20 for electronics bought between 1999 & 2002 (including PCs) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 2015-02-23, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Class action: Get $20 for electronics bought between 1999 & 2002 (including PCs)

Canadians to get money back for overpriced electronics as part of $80M class action settlement
Quote:

Close to $80 million was recovered for Canadians and Canadian entities who bought electronics containing DRAM between 1999 and 2002. Be it computers, printers or game consoles, no receipt or proof of purchase is required to claim the minimum $20 compensation by filling a simple form at www.themoneyismine.ca (CNW Group/themoneyismine.ca campaign)

If you bought an electronic device between 1999 and 2002, then you almost certainly paid too much for it. Now Canadians can get their money back simply by filling in a form on themoneyismine.ca. No receipt or proof of purchase is required to claim the minimum $20 compensation.

Consumers, businesses and other entities are finally getting a fair deal following a multimillion-dollar settlement of many class action lawsuits against several manufacturers who were allegedly fixing the price of dynamic random access memory (DRAM, pronounced "dee-ram") used in nearly all electronics, including computers, printers, personal digital assistants (PDAs), MP3 players and video game consoles.

The Canadian lawsuits alleged that the defendants were fixing the price of DRAM between April 1, 1999 and June 30, 2002, thereby inflating the cost of DRAM and most electronic devices.

The class action lawsuits were settled out of court: nearly $80 million in settlement funds were obtained for the benefit of all Canadians who bought electronics during this period.

To make sure Canadians know about the money they are owed and how easy it is to collect, the four law firms leading these class actions are launching themoneyismine.ca campaign. Its objective is to ensure as many Canadians as possible claim what they are owed.

"It's a great outcome for Canadian consumers," said J.J. Camp, Q.C., partner at Camp Fiorante Matthews Mogerman. "We've made it easy for them to get their money back. I also think it's an opportunity for all Canadians to show that they want healthy competition between consumer product companies."

This is the first competition class action awareness campaign of this magnitude in Canada.

Who is eligible for compensation?
  • Canadians and Canadian entities who purchased DRAM or electronic devices with DRAM between April 1, 1999 and June 30, 2002 are eligible. Canadians 18 and older can fill in the form to request money. Households must file as a unit.
Which products qualify?

Most electronic devices use DRAM, including:

• Computers and servers
  • Printers
  • Personal digital assistants
  • Graphics cards
  • Video recorders and digital decoders
  • Video game consoles
  • MP3 players
  • Computer based point-of-sale systems
Compensation will also be paid respecting purchases of DRAM chips or modules for personal use, for manufacturing purposes or for resale.

How do I request money?

• All households, businesses and other entities who bought DRAM or electronics with DRAM during the time period in question are entitled to $20 without receipts. Just sign up at themoneyismine.ca.
  • If you bought several electronic devices, you might be entitled to recover more money. Some documents might be required depending on the size of your claim. Just sign up at themoneyismine.ca and identify the products you purchased. Any documents that show your purchases or that we can use to calculate your purchases are enough. Some examples are copies of accounting records, credit card statements, or computer purchase budgets. A calculator is available on the website to help you work out the value of your claim.
How much can I get back?

• The minimum amount you can get back is $20. If you bought several electronic devices containing DRAM, you could get more back.
  • For example: a small business with 25 employees could have a claim worth several hundred dollars.
For more information
TL;DR: Canadians households that purchased PCs, DRAM or electronic devices with DRAM between April 1, 1999 and June 30, 2002 can get $20 back. Note that you get a minimum of $20, not $20/device. If you bought 1 DVD player, the value of the claim is 25 cents, but they will send you a cheque for $20.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 2015-02-23, 05:20 PM
txv
Veteran

How can i be sure that this isn't some scam to collect personal information?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 2015-02-23, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

The press release was issued through newswire.ca (first link), which is the primary press release firm in Canada. It was also advertised on TV.

You could verify the law firms involved actually represent the class action if you wanted to be sure.

All they are collecting is the name and address to send the cheque. If they wanted that info, they could get it from the phone book.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 2015-02-25, 02:30 AM
tux

I remember hearing something about the alleged price-fixing, maybe about 10 years ago. Considering that the purchases in question were 13-16 years ago, I'm surprised that it's still working its way through the legal system.

According to the website, there's $79.47M less legal fees available for settlement, half to consumers. In order to claim more than the base amount of $20, you would need to have purchased more than 4 computer-equivalent units during the 3 year period, and kept a receipt or other record of the purchase. Nearly every type of RAM is included in the class action.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 2015-03-25, 01:01 AM
txv
Veteran

Has anyone gotten money back yet?

WARNING: The HVAC information I provide is not based on field experience and DOES NOT constitute professional advice.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 2015-03-25, 11:57 AM

Based on the FAQ on the claim website, cheques are expected to be sent out in fall of 2015.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 2015-03-25, 02:22 PM

I keep receipts for just about everything, but purge when warranties run out.
Would it be acceptable to turn in the actual electronics???, because I doubt any of them are worth more than $20 each now(or 25 cents for that matter )!!! PLUS the bonus would be it cleans out the basement!!! A win win.

If Life is a Highway,...then why is there no end to this dirtroad?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 2015-03-25, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Just to be clear, it's NOT $20/device. Most retail consumers wouldn't be eligible for more than $20. For example 80 DVD players = $20 or 4 computers = $20. The site has a calculator.

And no, the lawyer does not want your obsolete electronics.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 2015-03-25, 02:49 PM
Veteran

I looked at the calculator and entered some products. At the most, I might be eligible for up to $35 but then maybe not. The memory of just exactly what I purchased 15 years ago is a little fuzzy. The receipts are long gone.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 2015-03-25, 03:01 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
I have not bothered with this because it just isn't worth my time for $20 that I may get at some future time. I wouldn't risk my submitted information getting into the "wrong hands".

There are lots of coupons, etc that I could download from the web, but I also don't because I don't want my information in their hands. I do deal with a few "trustworthy" corporations where I have an ongoing relationship. Basically, I try to minimize my exposure on the web and in the cloud. I'm not "in the phonebook."

Other people may not agree with this philosophy, and that's fine, if they get enough benefit.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 2015-12-21, 10:03 PM
Veteran

Got my check today!

So did 880,000 other people.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 2015-12-21, 10:16 PM
Veteran

^^^^
I got mine on Friday.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 2015-12-22, 10:16 AM
Veteran

Got mine and e-deposited it.

LONSat
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 2015-12-22, 12:40 PM

I got the email Dec 18 but no check yet.

Tags
class action

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in