Canada post phasing out door delivery. Cost of stamps skyrocketing [POLL] - Page 7 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
View Poll Results: How do you receive lettermail?
Mailslot/Mailbox at door 48 47.06%
Mailbox on street 11 10.78%
Community Mailbox 39 38.24%
Post Office 3 2.94%
Rented PO Box 1 0.98%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #91 of 112 (permalink) Old 2014-01-19, 06:29 PM
Rookie

I receive mail through a community mailbox (CMB) and I'd prefer it over door-to-door delivery anyday, if only for security. Sure, there are always stories of CMBs getting broken into, but a set of locked boxes on your street is safer than an unlocked mailbox on your house when you're not home from work until late in the afternoon. At least I know the mail isn't there for anyone to take like it would be on a home box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 112 (permalink) Old 2014-03-17, 03:11 PM

How is this going to with packages that don't fit in a community box??

Pretty much the old mail I really need is stuff from ebay/amazon. What I'm afraid of is being forced to use a more expensive service (eg UPS).
post #93 of 112 (permalink) Old 2014-03-17, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byebye_cable View Post
How is this going to with packages that don't fit in a community box??

Pretty much the old mail I really need is stuff from ebay/amazon. What I'm afraid of is being forced to use a more expensive service (eg UPS).
Like what happens now when you're not home to sign for or pay for taxes & duties, pick it up at your local post office.

post #94 of 112 (permalink) Old 2014-03-17, 03:50 PM
Veteran

I always get packages in the community mailbox... they have special compartments for bigger packages.

I guess for the biggest packages that won't fit, your nearest postal outlet will have them.
post #95 of 112 (permalink) Old 2014-03-17, 03:52 PM
Veteran

@byebye_cable: You'd be surprised what can be fit into the parcel compartments of a community mail box. If it's oversized then it will be sent to the nearest post office. At least that's what they do in PEI.

One thing I'm noticing in all this discussion here and in other places about the changeover to CBs is a lot of what ifs (parcels, seniors, snow clearing, security/safety etc.). In fact these boxes are SOP in many parts of the country. All these issues have already been settled. They're just red herrings thrown up by those resistant to change. Once you get the boxes they quickly become part of your way of life. You check them on your way out or back. Some visit their box every day. Others once or twice a week. Seniors who have mobility problems may get a neighbour or friend to pick up the mail just as they now do to help with their shopping. The boxes are no big deal.
post #96 of 112 (permalink) Old 2014-03-17, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsure View Post
I always get packages in the community mailbox... they have special compartments for bigger packages.

I guess for the biggest packages that won't fit, your nearest postal outlet will have them.
How could there be a special compartment for bigger packages - wouldn't everyone have access to it??
post #97 of 112 (permalink) Old 2014-03-17, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Each community mailbox will also contain two parcel compartments, both of which are big enough to fit 80 per cent of the packages mailed in Canada, the corporation says.

Residents who have a package inside the parcel compartment will be able to access it with a key that's left inside their individual box. That key can be returned in the outgoing mail slot, Canada Post says.
Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/canad...#ixzz2wFxNrVVy
post #98 of 112 (permalink) Old 2014-03-17, 06:35 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by byebye_cable View Post
How could there be a special compartment for bigger packages - wouldn't everyone have access to it??
If you have a package in one of the special compartments the key to it will be in your mailbox and you post the key back in the mail slot once you have claimed your package. If the package is too large or the special compartments are full it will be at a post office. Saying that, where I lived in Calgary was near to the mail box and sometimes the postal worker would leave packages that didn't require a signature on the doorstep.
post #99 of 112 (permalink) Old 2014-04-01, 02:36 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
I had totally forgotten that the price of stamps was going up on March 31st when my wife went to mail our Income Taxes and to bring home some stamps on March 29th. They would not sell any stamps to her, only mail out the Taxes. (Perhaps it was only the permanent stamps they would not sell, since she purchased 10 permanent stamps today, at the new price obviously)

We don't send much mail, so this has almost no effect on us. Bills are all "pre-approved" to Visa or the Bank. But this will probably put an end to my wife's habit of sending Christmas cards.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #100 of 112 (permalink) Old 2014-04-01, 04:45 PM
Veteran

Overlooked in this price change is that there is also a massive increase in the price of mailing international mail. You'll pass out when you see the numbers at the Canada Post website. A total ripoff.
post #101 of 112 (permalink) Old 2014-04-01, 05:05 PM
Veteran

$2.50 to post a letter overseas and $5.90 for an oversized envelope or postcard. A short time ago, it cost me over $10.00 to mail a small envelope within Southern Ontario and it arrived at the destination a day late. The same envelope arrived from China containing a $0.99 cable with free shipping. The same item could be mailed in the US for a $4.00 flat rate. Canada Post is digging its own grave by overcharging for services.
post #102 of 112 (permalink) Old 2014-04-01, 05:55 PM

After the last strike a few years ago, we all went to email invoicing, and with the new postage rates, I guess we will stick with that, mailed a 9 x 12 inch envelope today. was 1.34 now 1.85 quite the jack up in prices.
post #103 of 112 (permalink) Old 2014-04-22, 10:21 AM

Another service affected by the new price hikes are free deliveries from the likes of Futureshop, Amazon etc. Anytime I ordered something online with free delivery, it usually took 2 days to get to my door, sometimes it was even in the next day. Now, my last two orders have taken a minimum of 6 business days. It seems to stay stuck in Richmond B.C. for a day or two, maybe even three, then goes to Mississauga and gets held back there for a day or two and then finally makes its way to Ottawa/Gatineau and goes out for delivery.
post #104 of 112 (permalink) Old 2014-04-22, 10:51 AM
Veteran

Ha, makes a change as we on the west coast usually have to wait 6-10 days for free delivery to come from out East. I suppose it depends on where the product originates from, as when I order from Amazon and the item is in Richmond, delivery is within 48 hours.
post #105 of 112 (permalink) Old 2014-04-22, 04:34 PM
Veteran

@hamstercaster: I don't see what the new PO price hikes have to do with your complaint. Maybe FS and Amazon now stock more products in Richmond for their own reasons. Amazon has been shipping some of my Blu-rays from Richmond for some time now starting with Out Of Africa last Oct. as well as from more frequently used Mississauga location. At the most it adds one day to the delivery time. I live in PEI by the way so you'd think that a shipment from BC would take considerably longer.

For the record: Order shipped from Mississauga - 3-4 days. Fastest ever - two days during Christmas rush. Order shipped from Richmond - 4-5 days. All using their free shipping over $25.00 policy which actually promises delivery in 7-8 days. (Who needs PRIME?). Obviously I don't have any complaints.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in