CFL/ Grey Cup 2010 discussion - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-06-03, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

CFL/ Grey Cup 2010 discussion

Who says the CFL is dead in Canada?

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Columnists.../14233431.html
Quote:
Selling 17,500 Grey Cup tickets in a four-hour span on the first day the sale was open to the general public and following that up by selling 4,241 more on Day 2 to push the total to 52,747

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-06-03, 12:40 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Labour Day Classic in Regina sold out in 16 minutes

Quote:
It didnít take long for the Saskatchewan Roughriders to sell out the 2010 Labour Day game against the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

Single-game tickets for the CFL contest on Sept. 5 were sold out in 16 minutes Tuesday. Individual tickets for the Ridersí nine regular-season games went on sale for the first time Tuesday morning.
http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...770/story.html

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-06-04, 01:35 PM
Veteran

The game in Moncton sold out very quickly as well. I was hoping to get tickets a couple days after they went on sale, and when I looked into it, the game was already sold out.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-06-04, 02:32 PM

Personally, really jacked about Empire Field ... bought Lions season tix for the first time since the 90's.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-06-04, 02:44 PM
Member #1

Quote:
Who says the CFL is dead in Canada?
It's interesting how it's so strong in the West but not in the East. In Toronto, Guys I know could tell you every Baseball, hockey and NFL fact you could ever want to know, but draw a blank on CFL.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-06-04, 04:56 PM

Strong everywhere in Canada but Toronto is how I'd phrase it. Montreal's in the East. There is definite interest in the Maritimes (and somehow the CFL needs to get a franchise there). Interest in Canadian football is very strong throughout the entire province of Quebec.

The league needs to figure out how to re-establish itself in Toronto. The lessons learned in Vancouver and Montreal about restoring interest need to be applied in Toronto, but with patience and a long-term plan as opposed to looking for a quick fix.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-06-04, 05:38 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Hugh, Hugh, Hugh... Toronto != "The East"

The CFL is doing fine, and Grey Cup Week contributes a lot of bucks to the host city's economy. Eastward Ho with expansion, CFL!

Regarding Toronto, as long as there is enough fan support to allow the Argos to continue existing I don't really care whether some or most Torontonians find the team or the league to be not as popular as the NFL and its teams. It just doesn't matter to me except that it would be really bad for the CFL not to have a team in such a big city, such as if an NFL team ever moved in.

On another note, I'd like to see how the Tabbies will do if that new stadium in Hamilton finally gets green lighted.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-06-08, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Grey Cup 2010 in Edmonton sold out in record time...
http://tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=323969

Quote:
The Edmonton Eskimos announced on Monday that all tickets for the 98th Grey Cup are sold out, just one week after going on sale to the general public.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-06-08, 01:39 PM

As long as the Alouettes can pull another Grey Cup final like last year, I am all for it.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-06-08, 03:23 PM
asd

Gotta agree with Billy, as long as Als win like last year, but I like their loss the year before better -- Stamps fan, of course.

Maritimes seem too small for even CFL but HRM is quite a bit bigger than Saskatoon or Regina. I don't know if I'd drive the 1 hour commute from Annapolis Valley, unless it was Halifax vs. the Stamps, but it wouldn't be -30 in Halifax, unlike Regina.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-06-08, 05:21 PM
Veteran

The general thinking on expansion to the Maritimes is that Moncton is the place to go because it is the "centre" if you will. There is no problem for people in Fredericton and Saint John, and very little for those in Charlottetown and even Halifax. If Moncton had a CFL team, I'd probably go to a few games a year, mostly afternoon ones.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-06-08, 05:54 PM
asd

I'm from away so I'm not likely touching the local pulse but Halifax is the only city of any size to house even a CFL team here. Get Haligonians noses out of joint and it strikes me as a no go for a CFL team.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-06-09, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

With the deficits this province (Nova Scotia) and city (Halifax Regional Municipality) are running there is zero chance of Halifax getting a CFL size stadium in the next decade.

The only window of opportunity was the Commonwealth games and that got shut down as the province did not want to have an Olympic sized debt (see Vancouver) at the end of the day.

I am CFL-lover, and have my ticket to the Moncton game... but the tax base can not absorb the costs associated with building a facility that will only be fully utilized 10 to 25 days a year. (The Extra 15 dates from rock concerts and University Football)

The city's priority is to build a new hockey rink and convention centre to replace the Metro Centre.

Quebec City seems to be a more logical choice, especially if they get a Winter Olympics. The will need to create a facility/ expand Laval PEPS to host the opening ceremonies and this would be a great chance for building a CFL sized stadium.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-06-12, 11:43 AM

2012 cup in Toronto

Speaking of poor attendance in Toronto. It was finally announced Toronto will hold the 2012 cup. There are still tickets available.
http://www.argonauts.ca/article/gc-t...010-argos-2012
Story from Feb 5 2010
http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl...rgos_grey_cup/
On another note How will you stop the cries of bush league when Toronto plays BC this year. The same guy owns both teams.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-06-12, 12:35 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by haystack
On another note How will you stop the cries of bush league when Toronto plays BC this year. The same guy owns both teams.
"Bush league"... the same used to be said when there were the Roughriders and the Rough Riders in the same league. If I felt like mudslinging I usually would respond with the reminder that the Baltimore Colts were moved with no public notice IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT to Indianapolis, and with other such bush league examples from NFL lore, and on and on the mudslinging would go. The simple answer is that you can never stop it. I could care less so I don't bother now.

David Braley is a devout and loyal CFL fan, and his personal actions over the years have given new life to the TiCats, the Lions, and the Argos, all from his own wallet. Nothing bush league about that.

Tags
cfl , grey cup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in