Question about beds & brand name - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 2009-05-20, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Question about beds & brand name

Hi, I'm looking to buy a queen size bed, and I was wondering, how important is brand names? A local store is selling a queen size pillow top set for $475 taxes in (includes the built in top layer memory foam), and has 450 or 460 coils i think he said. The brand is "Natural Rest". I can't find any information on google, but I wonder how important brand names are with beds. Can anyone shed thier opinion? I'm on a limited budget, but I also don't want to cheap out since a bed is an important investment.

Thanks
-Kevin

Sharp 46" Aquos 1080p (LC46D62U). Shaw Motorola 6416 III PVR. Pioneer HTP-2800 Surround Sound. PS3 & Wii.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 2009-05-20, 01:28 PM

If you can't find it on the net, then it must be a pretty small company. Brand names are important, but at this price point I am not sure you are going to find big differences in quality or 'quantity'.

A more important issue would be the health of your back. Do you wake up with a stiff or sore back in the morning? How comfortable is the bed in question. You will be spending 8 hrs a day for the next 10 years on this bed, it may be worth sampling the next model up to see how it compares.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 2009-05-20, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

would you guys say that it would be wiser to spend 900 on a brand name serta/sealy/simmons vs a generic $450 bed?

Sharp 46" Aquos 1080p (LC46D62U). Shaw Motorola 6416 III PVR. Pioneer HTP-2800 Surround Sound. PS3 & Wii.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 2009-05-20, 11:54 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
It would probably depend on the generic. When looking at beds, many factors come into play:

- how soft/hard does it seem to you - or your significant other.
- when you move on one side, does it affect your SO on the other side
- how does it feel after a few minutes in the store
- some products are very warm (foam) do you like warm or cool
- Etc.

I no longer purchase box springs. Almost 30 ago I made a box out of plywood and 2x6 and covered it with an older fitted sheet. That way I can spend a lot more on the mattress. We have an Obus Forme mattress purchased from Sleep Country when they had their annual sales (not sure if it's available any more - I'm taking about the entire mattress, not just a topper). Watch for the annual sales as there are significant savings on certain products.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 2009-05-21, 01:05 AM

Yep a bed is one thing not to cheap out on. It's a good idea to skip the box spring and get a high end mattress, I never understood the point of a stupid boxspring... a piece of plywood accomplishes the same thing. When shopping I hate how the companies make it so hard to compare or price match, every store has a different name for the same damn mattress.

A cheaper brand could have problems with the foam layer becoming lumpy/misshapen, not to mention squeaks, sagging, all manner of problems that can make a good nights sleep impossible. Test a few of the higher end name brand ones, even if the "no name" feels as good, it probley wont feel that way for long.

Epson EX71, Tosh HD-A2, Denon AVR590, Athena P4100, Infinity P362,C250,P162. RCA L42WD22, Pio VSX1016, Athena LS50
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 2009-05-21, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

ok thanks for the advice everyone! if the boxspring makes no difference, i may get a used one (or a bedframe that doesn't need one, and then spend more on a better mattress)

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 2009-05-21, 01:49 AM
Veteran

The thing I would be most skeptical about the lower priced bed you were looking at is the built in memory foam topper. Proper memory foam is actually fairly expensive stuff, and if it isn't a high enough density (5.3 lbs per cu. ft), then it will start to break down fairly quickly and you will be left with a lumpy built in topper. The coil number should be fine (anything above 400 is apparently good enough for a queen size).

My wife and I have also just been looking for a new mattress. After a few months of research and trying out what seems like a gazillion beds, we ended up forking out for a memory foam mattress. It is supposed to arrive first week of June - can't wait!

Good luck with your choice.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 2009-05-22, 02:27 AM Thread Starter

I read that the mattresses with built in foam are inferior to regular mattresses in which you simply put a foam on top, because the ones with the built in foam cannot be flipped and this wear out faster. What do you guys think? I'm thinking of buying a normal type bed and buying the foam separetely so that i can flip it every couple months. I know i've had regular beds and they last many years, maybe the ones with the foamy top are designed to wear faster so that people buy beds more often? What do you guys think?

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 2009-05-22, 07:55 AM
Veteran

The thing about mattresses is you can never really tell if it's going to be comfortable while you're trying it out in the store. I would buy a mattress from a reputable store that will take the mattress back, no hassle, if you're not happy with it. Sleep Country, at least they did, have a 30 day return policy. We bought a mattress from them several years ago and it started hurting my back after a few weeks, we were over the 30 day period by a couple of days but they gladly exchanged our mattress for another one, no hassles and even free delivery. Been happy ever since with the new one.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 2009-05-22, 11:06 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuvhandles View Post
I read that the mattresses with built in foam are inferior to regular mattresses in which you simply put a foam on top, because the ones with the built in foam cannot be flipped and this wear out faster. What do you guys think? I'm thinking of buying a normal type bed and buying the foam separetely so that i can flip it every couple months. I know i've had regular beds and they last many years, maybe the ones with the foamy top are designed to wear faster so that people buy beds more often? What do you guys think?
I don't think this is quite right. The high end memory foam beds (visco-elastic foam) actually have much longer warranties than regular style mattresses. ie. Tempurpedic has 20year pro-rated warranty vs the standard 10 years. I must admit though, that I don't put much stock in this as I think it would be pretty hard to get a company to honour a warranty after 10 plus years. Also, the solid memory foam mattresses don't need to be flipped or rotated. Just plunk em on your bed and leave em. That is one of the supposed benefits of viscoelastic foam - it retains its form after you get off. It does break down over time, but very slowly depending on the quality/density of it.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 2009-05-22, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuvhandles View Post
ok thanks for the advice everyone! if the boxspring makes no difference, i may get a used one (or a bedframe that doesn't need one, and then spend more on a better mattress)
When you buy your matress, ask if they have a mismatched box spring. You may get a better price.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in