Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums - View Single Post - O/S 7,8 or 8.1 - Best Monitor Brand
View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 2014-09-22, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
matt4x4

I'm upgrading my desktop computer. Its not that old (bought in 2007 or 2008), I went out and bought a LG 27" LCD Widescreen, plus some cheap speakers, beats the stupid pod speaker I had.

So originally I was looking at upgrading ram (from 4gb to 8gb) and a SSD but both are too expensive. Keeping the 4gb ram which is plenty. Will probably just go 350-500GB 7200rpm or 10krpm sata. And partition the HD to a Windows O/S (either 7, 8, or 8.1) and Linux (to give it a try). I believe there's a way to boot from one or the other. If theres a cheap graphics card I will throw that in, beats the onboard one I have, which the benchmarks rate as pretty low.

That Laptop idea is an interesting thought, I would do that in a heartbeat if there was a way to "extract" the new O/S on the laptop and install it on the desktop. I must admit I had that thought myself a couple years ago, but everything is "attached" or "signed" to each other. I would get a new laptop and get rid of my old one with the battery shot, the old laptop is good for music downloads and such, keep the junk off the desktop.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome