New Firmware for Gateway in Employee Testing now (now Live) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 2015-06-03, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Location: Calgary SonyTVs, ShawXG1 Gateway & 5 Portals, 2x Harmony One
New Firmware for Gateway in Employee Testing now (now Live)

Well, after a long wait, we are getting a shot at another Firmware update, pending employee testing, of course. I haven't heard any details of what might be in it yet but there's definitely no chance of the once promised DLNA being activated.

More as I find out just what's in the works.

If you can then do rather than not. You're your own worst enemy. They're parking their car over there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 2015-06-03, 01:46 AM

I doubt that shaw would do this since it mentions using DNLA in the description but it would be nice if this thing got supported ARRIS : Placeshifting Transcoder MS4000
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 2015-06-03, 05:57 PM

DNLA was promised over 4 years ago. If it hasn't happend by now, it's never going to happen.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 2015-06-03, 06:09 PM
AFF

I don't get what the hold up is. dlna works just fine on the gateway.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 2015-06-03, 08:14 PM

To paraphrase Shaw employee from years ago: "DLNA may work on Gateway just fine, but it doesn't work just fine on Shaw network". Or something to that effect. They blame a lot of things on their infrastructure, and how TV and Internet side are integrated on their side.
Now, we may counter with "DLNA is completely internal to our home network, so what does it have to do with your infrastructure", but they respectfully disagree. And since they hold all the cards, we get no DLNA on Gateway. I shouldn't say "we" because I'm not their customer any more.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 2015-06-09, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

OK, to quash any speculation regarding DLNA; it will "NEVER" be activated with Shaw, or so I'm told.

And now to get us back on thread topic; I got to see some of the 'improvments' in the 'new code' being tested and while it's always nice to have things 'work as they should', there is little of substance in the update. They have added some 'artwork' to go with the program descriptions and there is more 'metadata' in the info section too. The other 'improvements' are things that should have worked properly from the beginning, like smooth FFWD and REW, etc.

Still no 'date and time' recording option. I am still waiting for that one as I need it to capture Nascar races that get rain delayed, sometimes as long as past midnight. I can't just set EVERY program after the scheduled finish as that is just too much of a pain to watch later when they do run long.

Now, one thing I did find interesting is that Shaw is also apparently testing some new Gateway hardware. I don't know what that means for all of us current owners but I'm sure it won't be good.

If you can then do rather than not. You're your own worst enemy. They're parking their car over there.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 2015-06-09, 05:33 PM
Veteran

For the 'recorded tv' list does it allow both folders and date sorting? Right now it's one or the other not both. Very frustrating. What I mean is folders for each show sorted by last recorded, not alphabetical (you know, like every other DVR on the planet including their own DCT-3400 and the app for the Gateway).
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 2015-06-09, 06:10 PM

I miss the LIVE event tag from my old PVR, which automatically asks if you want to extend the recording.
It would also be cool if they enabled the ethernet ports; because wired ethernet is always better than wifi.

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 2015-06-09, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

faston, I'm not sure but I'll see if I can find out about the 'sorting'. I miss that too. I don't always remember to use my iPad mini and the app.

post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 2015-06-22, 02:59 PM

Jetranger do you know what what new gateway hardware they are testing ? I can't see anything that Arris has to follow up on the existing gateway and lots of providers seem to using the dcx3600 . the recent acquisition of Pace also seems to be narrowing the field
Arris Sets Pace in Set Top Boxes | EE Times
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 2015-06-22, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Sorry sherds, I don't have any details on what the equipment might be. I was hoping someone else might know and fill us in. I would think that, like anything these days, it will be a 'newer and better' version of what we have now.

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 2015-06-22, 04:14 PM

If Shaw is staying with the Gateway system then they might shift to the MG2402
http://www.arrisi.com/product_catalo...TS_05JUN13.pdf
It has moca 2.0 as opposed to moca 1.1 in the current gateway i believe .Not sure if this might help the dlna controversy .
It also look like it has more ram and a faster processor.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 2015-09-17, 04:04 PM

Gateway Firmware Update

Received it last night. Being rolled out Sept 2 to Sept 25, 2015 .
Details here.
https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-5671

Andy K.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 2015-09-17, 04:43 PM

Old style Guide seems quicker and the blank entries are only there for a split second.

Still no folder option in PVR sort by date.

Andy K.

Last edited by andyk; 2015-09-17 at 09:00 PM. Reason: added search options reference and correction
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 2015-09-17, 11:56 PM

Guide is much slower tonight. Blank entries are taking 3-4 seconds to fill. Still better than it was.

Andy K.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in