Shaw Gateway installation using Cat5 (ANSWER: Not yet possible) - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-02-08, 09:02 PM

To be honest I would probably say no. If there was ever a problem with the cat6 I could be held accountable for ruining the wire while I was running it. I am not saying you would say that, but some people would. Also, there is extra time in running and securing 2 wire as opposed to one. We get paid by the piece and not hourly, so we wouldn't be making any money for the extra time it takes. Also, we do not have any wallplates that would work for that cat6 line.

I am a Shaw Employee. However, I am not posting on behalf of Shaw, and my posts are not official statements.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-02-09, 11:50 AM
Veteran

Location: Calgary SonyTVs, ShawXG1 Gateway & 5 Portals, 2x Harmony One
I'm sure they would consider running it for a fee. I used to install big dish satellite systems and, later, small dish systems and I can tell you it's far less work to pull a single coax than it is to pull even just two cables, of any kind.

As you mention, the liability of possibly damaging the less robust Cat5/6 is more than enough reason not to want to have anything to do with it.

If you can then do rather than not. You're your own worst enemy. They're parking their car over there.

Last edited by Jetranger; 2012-02-09 at 11:55 AM. Reason: offending post removed
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-02-09, 11:57 AM

I would suggest that you would probably have a happier customer, it you just did it anyway and explained what your limitations (tie-ing up and no plate ect)

Really it would be no sweat for you, you are putting the coax in anyway..

Just out of curiosity. what would Shaw say if I wanted them to run MY coax..not yours? (for your services of course) (lets say residential only)
Something like this:
http://www.smarthome.com/868241J/2-C...x-Cable/p.aspx
( I realize that that is overkill, but still)

(I take care of a very large Shaw system...we own everything from the fiber node on (node is Shaw owned) ...about 1500 drops and growing.)

Jet, I too have run many miles of cables, and installed many different types of LV systems (CATV. CCTV. SAT. MMDS, Sound, LAN, Secutiry, card access, ect (15 years of it))
The addition of another cable is minimal at best..Liabilty could be explained before starting..

Last edited by CowtownBiomed; 2012-02-09 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Added reply to JET..

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-02-09, 02:52 PM

I have seen those wires before, without the fiber. Some new homes use them. The quad shield coax is a bit of a pain to get our connectors onto, but can be done.

Shaw's best practices is to not use any other equipment other than the one that they have tested. This ensures proper compatibility and quality. Shaw can not guarantee that the services will work using wiring or equipment that they have not been able to test. Shaw spends a lot of time and money to ensure the quality of their products. If a customer wants their own wiring placed, they are always able to contact an electrician or other party to run those wires.

This is what I have been told for the last 12 years that I have been doing this job. If corporate has changed their minds on this, that is their prerogative (spelling?), but I have not been told otherwise.

I am a Shaw Employee. However, I am not posting on behalf of Shaw, and my posts are not official statements.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-02-09, 03:58 PM

Of course the ol "Case of beer" routine works too...wink wink, nudge nudge...
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-02-09, 07:55 PM

A nice and friendly customer definitely helps get those above and beyond extras done. If they are snarley fromt he get go, then not so much

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 2015-11-20, 04:55 PM

This seems to be an old thread, but i have question about this issue. Shaw sold me a very good cable and phone deal. I was prepared to switch from Telus to Shaw. However, when it came time to install, the intaller wanted to run coax to my TV. I told him that I have perfectly good cat5 running through the house and I was not about to let him drill holes through custom cabinets to get the TV deal. I was informed that the whole house PVR needed a coax. Can someone please confirm if this is still the case. I read in this thread from about 3 years ago that a new code release for these boxes would enable use of Cat5.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 2015-11-20, 06:00 PM

Nope, the Gateway and all of Shaw's boxes still needs cable to each TV.
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 2015-11-21, 01:06 PM
Rookie

Hmmmm now this was a fun trip down memory lane... I liked the claim that DLNA WOULD be "in the next code release"...
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 2015-11-21, 03:42 PM
Veteran

Location: Calgary SonyTVs, ShawXG1 Gateway & 5 Portals, 2x Harmony One
Yes, I am still trying to get an answer from the Competition Bureau on my complaint about the failure to deliver on all of those promises.

I don't believe the current iteration of the Gateway system will ever utilize network cabling but there is a chance the next version will. That, of course, is yet to be seen and we all know Shaw is terrible at keeping their promises.

If you can then do rather than not. You're your own worst enemy. They're parking their car over there.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 2015-11-21, 11:12 PM
AFF

I wonder what the reasoning is for not allowing ethernet connections. I know it works just fine. I guess that explains why you guys can't use the media streamers either.

Tags
ethernet , gateway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in