Shaw Gateway: Installation and setup discussion - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 453 (permalink) Old 2011-09-28, 04:10 PM
Veteran

Location: Calgary SonyTVs, ShawXG1 Gateway & 5 Portals, 2x Harmony One
Cudtz, Just to be clear; Did you do this or was it done by the Shaw tech? I ask because it sounds like you did it after the tech was there but I'm not sure. You have so many posts and they seem to indicate you changed it again after the tech left.

If you can then do rather than not. You're your own worst enemy. They're parking their car over there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 453 (permalink) Old 2011-09-28, 09:21 PM
Rookie

Just a quick update:

Looks like when shaw swapped my orange backlit remote for a white backlit one they offloaded someone else's problem to me... I went and got one of my other remotes, entered in the tv code 11423, and volume and power worked. Made sure the same code was entered in the "new" white backlit remote and it doesn't work.

So I guess I get to make another trip back to Barlow trail shaw office...
post #48 of 453 (permalink) Old 2011-09-30, 12:29 PM

@ Reboot - My gateway is quite quiet. It is sitting right under my portal below my tv. How loud is your gateway? What noise is it making?

I am a Shaw Employee. However, I am not posting on behalf of Shaw, and my posts are not official statements.

post #49 of 453 (permalink) Old 2011-09-30, 12:58 PM

Location: Chilliwack Mountain, Shaw Gateway & 3 Portals, Samsung UN60D8000, BenQ HDDLP, Denon AVR-1712
@cdncableguy, it is not unlike having a PC running, you hear the drive and the fan, not loud, but I really like not having any noises at all . With all my equipment in a cabinet in the garage feeding the media room it is great. My wife and I are avid readers and it is a bonus to sit in an acoustically silent atmosphere. I guess loud was not accurate, it is just much quieter without it in the room

Retired, Gateway fan, motorcycle is insured, time to get away from the TV!
post #50 of 453 (permalink) Old 2011-09-30, 02:29 PM

Location: Chilliwack Mountain, Shaw Gateway & 3 Portals, Samsung UN60D8000, BenQ HDDLP, Denon AVR-1712
Note to Shaw Champ

Had two Portals added this morning, everything went well and the Portals are both configured with the latest software and working as designed.

Note to Shaw: I had both rooms set up with the HDMI cables etc. ready for the install, to my surprise the technician took all the cabling that came with the Portals (power cord, HDMI cables etc.) that I purchased . To me this is theft, everything that came in those boxes belong to me, I paid for them. I only noticed this after the two techs left.

post #51 of 453 (permalink) Old 2011-10-03, 01:48 AM

For you Harmony One (or Harmony 1000 owners) here is how to setup the Shaw Portal Device.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
----- ADDING THE DEVICE

--> Devices
--> Add Device
Device:
--> Video Recorder
--> PVR
Manufacturer:
--> Shaw Cable
Model:
--> MP2000

**Note: After adding the device, you should go to
--> Device (e.g. Shaw Portal / PVR)
--> Settings
--> Confirm infrared commands

This will help you find a more complete match for the Shaw Portal remote.

If you do the above step then the only infrared commands you should have to learn are:

PVR --> List (MyDvr)
VOD --> VOD (VideoOnDemand)

Enjoy your Gateway guys.
post #52 of 453 (permalink) Old 2011-10-03, 01:27 PM
Rookie

Gateway install done

We had the gateway and two portals and internet 50 installed on Friday. A bit of mix up with the order and had to wait around all day but tech did finally arrive late afternoon and had it all running in 1.5 hours. He was in a rush though and certainly did not want to do any extra wiring. Gateway box is in the den with the internet modem - seems OK there. Portals at the two TVs. A speedtest on the net50 showed expected results.

First impressions of gateway:
- hd guide/menu is modern and nice
- picture quality is very good
- menu is confusing at first when coming from the old motorola pvr
- lack of feedback when setting up series recordings is esp. confusing
- channel changing is a bit faster than motorola but not like Optik from what I've heard - but we use the down arrow and get the menu bar for more rapid looking around now - that is very fast

Problems: - I may need to post this on another forum

- the worst issue is audio drop outs - does anybody hear this? Every minute or so there is a blip in the audio (drop out like) but no corresponding drop out in video [using hdmi out to a Yamaha receiver that switches our hdmi sources to the Panasonic TV - we have no audio drop outs with our PS3, Netflix box (WD TVLive), or old motorola box (was not hdmi though)]

- I really liked how with the dual tuner motorola pvr you could swap back and forth between the two tuners (both with buffers) and essentially watch two shows (or look for a new show during commercials of the other). I can't find an easy way to do this with the gateway (even though it has 6 tuners).

Happy so far (except for audio dropouts) but overall it will take some getting used to.
post #53 of 453 (permalink) Old 2011-10-03, 03:02 PM

Wow, I must be incredibly daft, I have loaded and installed several different codes to my Harmony 900. I still can't get the skip button to work properly, it skips ahead and back 15 minutes which is a bit too much when commercial break jumping. Is there somewhere simple easy instructions on training a 30 second command? Is there a Harmony forum somewhere that I have missed? I have attempted to reprogram the skip function several times as per the Harmony instructions and still no 30 second skip.
post #54 of 453 (permalink) Old 2011-10-03, 03:38 PM
Veteran

dsouth, you need to change the setting in the Gateway. I believe it is set for each Portal so keep that in mind if you find it different in other rooms. There are two ways to skip so make sure you are not confusing them. One is adjustable, the other is not.

If you can then do rather than not. You're your own worst enemy. They're parking their car over there.
post #55 of 453 (permalink) Old 2011-10-03, 03:41 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalal;
I can't find an easy way to do this with the gateway (even though it has 6 tuners).
Just use the 'last' button, between the Vol - and Ch - keys. It switches between tuners and will do more than just two, with buffers.

post #56 of 453 (permalink) Old 2011-10-03, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck7 View Post
For you Harmony One (or Harmony 1000 owners) here is how to setup the Shaw Portal Device.

Manufacturer:
--> Shaw Cable
Model:
--> MP2000
Wow - this is news - is this a more complete device map than the Moxi that was originally suggested\recommended by Shaw?
post #57 of 453 (permalink) Old 2011-10-03, 05:46 PM
Veteran

There wasn't a listing under Shaw for the ARRIS system before so this should be a good foundation to work from now that they are listing it. As previously mentioned in the original thread, the IR codes are the same for the MOXI system but for some reason there are a few keys that don't seem to work and need to be 'learned' from the original equipment remote to the Harmony.

post #58 of 453 (permalink) Old 2011-10-03, 06:02 PM

The Shaw remote works fine on my Sony TV and Sony Surround, turns both off and on, but for some reason none of the codes will work on my Yamaha receiver , it will turn it on but can't find a code that will do both .

I like using the Harmony one, but my wife hates it so the original remote is for her use, but she won't like having to push a button to turn off the sound (between you and I )

post #59 of 453 (permalink) Old 2011-10-03, 06:27 PM

Hi Jetranger
I've checked that setting several times, the Shaw remote pops the show ahead perfectly, the Harmony however insists on skipping 15 minutes no matter how I try to teach it.
post #60 of 453 (permalink) Old 2011-10-03, 08:16 PM
Veteran

See the PDF below. This is how I have my Harmony One set up.

I have the Gateway set to skip 30 seconds and then the non-adjustable 15min jump forward and back is on the Up and Down arrows at the top of the remote.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf My Gateway Remote Setup.pdf (264.8 KB, 983 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in