Shaw Gateway: Issues & fixes - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 198 (permalink) Old 2013-01-15, 08:24 PM

Location: Calgary, AB ShawGateway & 3 Portals, Shaw 1TB Expander, Sony 3D KDL-46HX729, HTSF470, 2 BDPS580
Chevy - I'm very happy with mine. I didn't need 6 tuners, but with a wife and 2 kids I had to have it for the server function of being able to watch any recorded show on any of our TVs. I also have a portal next to my desktop PC with a 1080 26" widescreen monitor that gets me by when they hog the 2 big TVs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 198 (permalink) Old 2013-01-15, 11:33 PM

Chevy

As Jetranger suggests, there are still some things that can use improving but overall the system is quite solid. I'm very pleased with it.

I agree also, that once you've had the 6 tuners it's damn near impossible to go back to my Pace unit or any other for that matter. Man I hated all the conflict errors I used to get with the Pace box. (Took some work to shuffle recording times around to make things work. Now, not an issue, well, mostly. Yes, even with 6 tuners, I've had it complain about conflicts on the very odd occasion.)
post #78 of 198 (permalink) Old 2013-01-20, 08:12 PM

Yesterday we bought a third portal, replaced a 3-way splitter with a 4-way (that I obtained at a "local" Shaw retail store), then installed the portal without powering on, then called Shaw, and in about 20 minutes of conversation and reboots, we had the new portal in service and everything else still works great.

Two of the portals are connected to TVs via HDMI and one is connected via composite to our old Toshiba tube TV which we've now moved to the basement (after installing our new Sharp 70" in its place upstairs Wow!).

This morning I noticed that when I powered on the two HDMI-connected TVs, the Shaw logo was prancing around their screens, but when I powered on the Toshiba there was a program in play, which brings me to my question. Is there any way to force a particular portal to go into sleep mode (assuming that that's what happening when the screensaver appears) before turing off its TV?

Thanks.

post #79 of 198 (permalink) Old 2013-01-20, 08:19 PM
Veteran

Location: Calgary SonyTVs, ShawXG1 Gateway & 5 Portals, 2x Harmony One
You can press 'Stop' and this will bring up the 'screen saver' but I'm not sure why you would want to do this. It will have no affect on the power consumption of the Portal or do anything else, really.

If you can then do rather than not. You're your own worst enemy. They're parking their car over there.
post #80 of 198 (permalink) Old 2013-01-20, 09:41 PM

I figured that if no progam was playing, then there would be less "traffic". But this is just an incorrect assumption, I guess.

I tried your suggestion of hitting the stop button and, sure enough, this brought up the screen saver on the Toshiba. Thanks for that, JR.

I still wonder why the screen saver starts on the two HDMI sets while regular programming remains displayed forever on the Toshiba (again, connected via composite), however. I'd guess it has something to do with the two-way communication via HDMI, while composite is probably a one way street.
post #81 of 198 (permalink) Old 2013-01-22, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Premium Supporter

The current discussion on fan noise has been split into its own thread:
www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=159282
Cheers,
downbeat
post #82 of 198 (permalink) Old 2013-01-22, 09:01 PM

i have had a few issues again lately such as tuning to a channel and it say to contact shaw or subscribe to recieve this channel . For a channel we get in fact a week or two ago it was for avery channel everytime for a few days straight.
Also we have had a few instances of freezing for a few minutes which is a small bug but at this point in time should have been ironed out. The wife still kind of wants to go back except for the option of recording so many things at once sometimes and of course the time/financial investment so far.
Any news on what the next update will bring ? bug fixes, new options or features?
post #83 of 198 (permalink) Old 2013-01-22, 09:37 PM
Veteran

As per Post #2 and others of this thread, this is NOT a discussion thread. It is supposed to be just for reporting issues and fixes when they are found. Discussion of problems of any kind should go in the current code version thread.

If you can then do rather than not. You're your own worst enemy. They're parking their car over there.
post #84 of 198 (permalink) Old 2013-01-23, 01:00 AM

yikes, sorry, just thought of it while i was here.
though i did report an issue, just not a new one!?
post #85 of 198 (permalink) Old 2013-01-23, 02:28 AM

Location: Maple Ridge, BC, Shaw Cable, DCT6416 III, Samsung PN50C550 50" Plasma, Harman-Kardon AVR247
Tonight I've been having issues with the portal not receiving the remote signals where it wouldn't react to anything no matter what. Then it would all of a sudden start behaving only to stop again a few minutes later. I'll try power cycling since that seems to be the SOP. Or should I say POS?

My User Name has NOTHING to do with the NHL package!
post #86 of 198 (permalink) Old 2013-01-23, 02:33 AM
Veteran

Did you try new batteries in the remote?

post #87 of 198 (permalink) Old 2013-01-23, 03:42 AM

cafebrad, there's nothing to be sorry about. You did report your issues, after all, and limited discussions have been allowed from what I see. What really got you the evil eye was your last sentence, which asked questions about the next update. For news about any upcoming update, it's always best for people to read the last couple of pages of the thread concerning the most recent code update and to ask any questions about it there (even that might be considered OT if we're being dogmatic about things, but it is allowed). Currently, that thread would be this one: Shaw Gateway: Code Update 7.0.4 info
post #88 of 198 (permalink) Old 2013-01-23, 08:16 PM

Location: Maple Ridge, BC, Shaw Cable, DCT6416 III, Samsung PN50C550 50" Plasma, Harman-Kardon AVR247
The batteries are brand new out of the box so, while possible, I think it's highly unlikely that that's the problem.

I cycled the power before going to bed and when I turned my tv on this morning it didn't have a connection. So I had to manually reconnect it.

At this point I'm think of taking the whole system back, if I can. (it's just barely 30 days since I bought it and barely 2 weeks since it's been set up). It's been a terrible experience since day one and simply not ready for the big time.

(That last paragraph probably belongs in the "Gateway prepurchase questions" thread.)

post #89 of 198 (permalink) Old 2013-01-23, 08:23 PM
Veteran

You did make changes to the arrangement after the installer left, yes? There's a good chance that is the cause of your problems. Did you confirm with Shaw about how you have it connected now?

All of this should be in the main thread.

post #90 of 198 (permalink) Old 2013-01-23, 10:52 PM

Well, the question is now moot. I just got off the phone with Shaw and they will accept the return. He did suggest, however, that I get a DCX-3400 and not a DCX-3510 since it doesn't have the new guide (which was on my bad list but wasn't the main complaint). I'll check them both out before deciding.

But at least I can say that I'm pleased with the customer service which isn't something you hear every day.

Anyway, hopefully that will be the last you hear from me for a while since I generally only come here to whine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in