Shaw Gateway: Issues & fixes - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 198 (permalink) Old 2012-09-06, 04:44 AM
Rookie

New feature suggestion:

A link in another thread pointed me here to ask (wish) for new features - if I'm here in error, my apologies...

My wish: My Wife, both of my Daughters and I each have a portal and a television for our private use (as well as a tv in the family room) and all of us add programs to the PVR. I'd like to see Folders added to the PVR list - one for each installed portal that would hold the programs recorded from each portal. This would clear up the God-awful-mess of programs that builds with multiple users.

I'd prefer allowing every user full use and control of every program in every folder, but I can't imagine password protection of folders would be a difficult addition either.

Please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 198 (permalink) Old 2012-09-06, 01:09 PM

I like that the number keys can be used to input letters in the search section.

I'd like to see the addition of them also working when in "PVR" view. Rather than me hitting CH Up/Down to scroll through to find the show I want, why not allow the number keys to jump to those letters sequentially. If I want "Stargate" I hit 7, 4 times to arrive at the S section. 2 twice for B and so on.
post #63 of 198 (permalink) Old 2012-09-11, 03:06 PM

New Feature Suggestion

I understand that this is the place for suggesting new features for the Gateway devices. So here's a couple of mine. If anyone knows a way to currently get the same functionality on the Gateway units please let me know.

There were two features on my old PVR that I miss dearly:

1) Manual recordings - I mean here the ability to create or edit a scheduled recording where I can specify the channel, start time, end time, and the frequency (once, daily, weekly, Monday - Friday). This is required in so many different scenarios:
You need to add more than 90 minutes extra (playoff hockey can easily go longer than 90 minutes).

You want to record a specific program on a specific channel at a specific time and you want this to repeat indefinitely. My kids and I like to watch the animated Star Wars the Clone Wars. The new episodes air on Teletoon Fridays at 8:30pm, however Teletoon often plays old episodes just before and after the new episode and the episodes are often mislabeled causing the wrong time slot to appear as the new episode. I don't need the PVR to be “smart” here and record the wrong thing, I know when the program airs.

During the Olympics I often knew what channel was going to show an event I wanted, but it couldn't be determined exactly what time or for how long the particular event would broadcast. The easy way is to set a manual timer on that channel that spans the whole period that might show the event (say 8:00 am to 3:00 pm). The current way requires me to record a bunch of slots in the guide back to back. This is not only very time consuming to setup, but since each of the time slots had a different tittle and description in the guide, it ended up in the PVR list completely disorganized.

With many sporting events you may know exactly when the event is playing even though the guide doesn't (or couldn't) know. For example TSN adds a Milos Raonic tennis match at the last minute (this has happened a few times), or how about the US Open final being moved from to Sunday to Monday at the last minute.
These are just a few examples of why manual timers are needed (I seem to consonantly find more).

2) Use the number keys to jump a specific number of minutes forward or back. On my previous PVR you could press the number 5 key and '5' would show on the screen, press the skip ahead (or back) key and you jumped ahead (or back) 5 minutes, the '5' then cleared from the screen and the skip ahead/back keys worked "normally" again.
This is great to skip commercials when you know a channel is using a set commercial break time of say 2 or 3 minutes.

If you are watching a sporting event and you know the intermission is 20 minutes long you press '2', '0', skip ahead and your there.

I find this much better than using fast forward or rewind in most cases because I can basically do a quick search with a few jumps to find exactly what I want in a long program. Jump ahead 30 minutes. Too far? Jump back 15 minutes. Not there yet? Jump ahead 10 minutes. Still a bit too far? Jump back five minutes and you're pretty much where you want to be.

If you're trying to back a program up by say 5 minutes for someone who just joined you, they don't want to have that five minutes spoiled by watching the program in high speed rewind.
Give me more options and I will find a way to solve problems myself. Try to rely solely on the "smarts" of your programming and you will eventually manage to aggravate everybody.

post #64 of 198 (permalink) Old 2012-09-11, 08:08 PM

Gromit

I have been regretting the lack of manual recordings over the past few months with the Olypics and The Women's U20 World Cup. As you say the times are not certain or are subject to change before the event. I have in fact been forced to schedule recording by the out-of-date or incorrect guide data. Then I forget to check whether it has changed and find that a change in the guide wipes out the previously recorded shows for that time or I have to assemble a list of the segments of the recorded events and order them by time. Very, very frustrating.

I had been intending on posting that I wanted to see the Gateway add a manual recording capability like the Shaw Motorola PVRs but hadn't got around to it until I saw your posting.

Gateway and 3 Portals, Samsung FP-T6374 TV, Panasonic DMR-E80, Denon AVR-3808, Sony CX777ES
post #65 of 198 (permalink) Old 2012-09-12, 12:17 PM
Veteran

Location: Calgary SonyTVs, ShawXG1 Gateway & 5 Portals, 2x Harmony One
I believe manual time and channel recording as well as program reminders are coming soon. Shaw is getting close to the end of the major bugs list and more of the 'requested' features that really should have been there from the start should start being added in subsequent code updates.

If you can then do rather than not. You're your own worst enemy. They're parking their car over there.
post #66 of 198 (permalink) Old 2012-09-12, 02:23 PM

Jetranger

Thanks for the post. As I said, I hope manual time by channel recording is added to the Gateway as I find that the lack of of it turns out to be very annoying at times of big sporting events such as the Olypics or World soccer tournaments. Unfortunately I will not be holding my breath waiting for it as Shaw is notoriously slow at adressing many of their problem or new feature issues.

Gateway and 3 Portals, Samsung FP-T6374 TV, Panasonic DMR-E80, Denon AVR-3808, Sony CX777ES
post #67 of 198 (permalink) Old 2012-09-14, 12:36 PM

Thanks for the info Jetranger,

At least it's nice to think that manual scheduling is on the developer's radar.

Of course once you start scheduling longer recordings you need more efficient ways of moving around those recordings (hence my feature request no. 2 in the post above ).
post #68 of 198 (permalink) Old 2012-09-24, 02:22 AM
Rookie

Question Shaw Gateway

I could be wrong, but i think i Remember the following is listed on the website as being available in SPRING 2012....Obviously that has passed....

Coming in 2012
Get connected - Wi-Fi enabled, the Shaw Gateway Experience can act
as a Wi-Fi router. You’ll be able to access your Internet
connection from anywhere in the house.

Share everything
DLNA technology will change the way your home
network works. Access your computer and web content,
share photos, MP3s and more.

Do we know that this is actually coming this year??? According to their website.
post #69 of 198 (permalink) Old 2012-09-24, 06:19 PM

Seeing as my wifi router is pooched, i now hope too that they get the DLNA/Wifi stuff working quickly..
post #70 of 198 (permalink) Old 2012-09-25, 12:17 AM
Veteran

Given there are still 3 full months left in this year, there is a good chance we will see them turned on before the end of it. It's sure been a lot longer than we expected or than they had thought at one time. I do hope it is worth the wait once it does get activated.

If you can then do rather than not. You're your own worst enemy. They're parking their car over there.
post #71 of 198 (permalink) Old 2012-09-26, 11:23 AM

lol, ya I guess they could kind of save face to some degree, if it was running by Christmas.
At least then they could say "we did get it going in 2012"

I'm not going to hold my breath though..
post #72 of 198 (permalink) Old 2013-01-06, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetzy View Post
A link in another thread pointed me here to ask (wish) for new features - if I'm here in error, my apologies...

My wish: My Wife, both of my Daughters and I each have a portal and a television for our private use (as well as a tv in the family room) and all of us add programs to the PVR. I'd like to see Folders added to the PVR list - one for each installed portal that would hold the programs recorded from each portal. This would clear up the God-awful-mess of programs that builds with multiple users.

I'd prefer allowing every user full use and control of every program in every folder, but I can't imagine password protection of folders would be a difficult addition either.

Please?
How do you stop each other from deleting a show after watching not knowing whether the rest of the family has seen it? Must be frustrating.
post #73 of 198 (permalink) Old 2013-01-15, 02:08 PM

I originally had mine in my bedroom, which doubles as my living room.

It's since been banished to the storage room behind my fridge.
post #74 of 198 (permalink) Old 2013-01-15, 07:27 PM

Hi all,

I'm thinking of getting one of these units and wondering if they're all right to get now. I', currently with bell sat service, but I use shaw for home phone and BB50 internet.

Thanks,
Chevy
post #75 of 198 (permalink) Old 2013-01-15, 07:32 PM
Veteran

Generally speaking, the system works as it should. It still has some bugs but there is another update coming next week. If you care to read through the main thread; Shaw Gateway: Code Update 7.0.4 info (See Post #1), you will get a better idea of what people are dealing with these days. Only you can decide if you are willing to accept the shortcomings but I would bet that once you have had 6 tuners to record from at the same time, you won't ever go back to anything else.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in