Shaw Gateway: Issues & fixes - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 198 (permalink) Old 2011-11-24, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Premium Supporter

Exclamation REMINDER

This is not meant to be a discussion thread — just a list of issues for quick consultation. If you have an issue that you think needs to be added to the list, please leave a quick reply here. I'll amend the main list with your replies from time to time. If you wish to discuss a problem, please see one of the links below.
Cheers!

WHERE TO DISCUSS

Main discussion thread (after April 2012 firmware rollout)
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=153175

Adding external drives
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=142528

Gateway promotions (new subs only)
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=144468

Wait times for Gateway support
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=145274

If these threads do not cover your topic, check for loose threads on the Gateway, otherwise you are welcome to start a new thread within the Shaw HDPVR forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 198 (permalink) Old 2012-01-21, 09:23 PM

Just my issue experience: I attempted to record two shows (+2 minutes pre-record, +5 post-record) and ended up with one hour-long show being truncated to 10 minutes, and one two-hour long show being truncated to 15 minutes, though appeared to start taping AFTER the shows stopped.

Looking at the PVR now, I have two copies of each show, the two above, and "duplicates" that are closer to the actual running time (though I have yet to view the programs).

This could be related to the recording overrun / consecutive taping issue noted previous in the thread.

Other minor annoyances:

- When scanning through the channel listing (not the guide mode), the portal will sometimes skip back to channel 2 (though I'd been browsing in the 200s).

- Guide sometimes takes 5 seconds or so to update from a blank state.

- The second fast forward speed will sometimes hang on the initial frame before starting (typically when pressing fast forward twice, in rapid succession).

- Displayed program info is sometimes for the previous program.
post #33 of 198 (permalink) Old 2012-01-21, 11:05 PM
Veteran

Location: Calgary SonyTVs, ShawXG1 Gateway & 5 Portals, 2x Harmony One
+1 for the last 3 items in your list.

If you can then do rather than not. You're your own worst enemy. They're parking their car over there.

post #34 of 198 (permalink) Old 2012-01-22, 05:08 PM

I will also +1 those last 3 items. I just altered all my series to start 2 mins early and end 5 mins late. Hopefully i don't have the same issues.
post #35 of 198 (permalink) Old 2012-01-24, 12:49 AM

Is it my imagination or does channel entry on the portals seem really slow in responding.
For example, if I press 2,1,1,OK it seems like half the time it misses one number.
It does the same thing on two of our portals so it's not just one that is insensitive.

So far my satisfaction level is MUCH lower than the Motorola PVR we gave up.
Hope the next firmware is a quantum leap forward.
post #36 of 198 (permalink) Old 2012-01-25, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Premium Supporter

It's been mentioned elsewhere in the HDPVR forum that up conversion to 1080p with the box is a bad idea. A known issue yet to be addressed, apparently. Use some other resolution in the meantime.
post #37 of 198 (permalink) Old 2012-01-25, 08:32 PM

You can have 1080p selected as long as 1080i is also selected. This will allow 1080p vod. The jitter and shutter should not be there as long as 1080i is also selected.
Or so I am told

I am a Shaw Employee. However, I am not posting on behalf of Shaw, and my posts are not official statements.
post #38 of 198 (permalink) Old 2012-01-27, 01:36 PM

A couple days this week my child was sick at home. Grandma was babysitting.
I left the TV on for them to watch. On both days Grandma said she shut it off after a few hours because the screen filled with some characters. Grandma doesn't read English and has no tech knowledge. At first I thought it was some kind of screen saver from my TV but she said it happened on the other TV as well one day.

Does anyone know what this could have been? I thought maybe it was the "problem with network" message I saw once before but that doesn't sound right because what she describes would have filled more of the screen. Does the Arris have some kind of screen saver that pops up after a few hours of inactivity?

Thanks
post #39 of 198 (permalink) Old 2012-01-27, 01:50 PM

Yes, there is a form of screen saver if the portal detects no activity for somewhere around 3 hours. The screen will blank out and various sized Shaw logos will float down the screen. There is currently no way to turn this off or adjust how long before it times out.
post #40 of 198 (permalink) Old 2012-01-27, 07:08 PM

Please keep things on topic folks.
Deleted several OT posts

I have a photographic memory, trouble is most times the lens cap is on.
post #41 of 198 (permalink) Old 2012-02-11, 08:27 PM
Rookie

music display

i only have the song name showing with gateway

is there a fix
post #42 of 198 (permalink) Old 2012-02-11, 09:15 PM

Re "Song Name", it's a known issue under "Other",

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...14&postcount=1

Hopefully they work this out for the next update.
post #43 of 198 (permalink) Old 2012-02-18, 05:34 AM
Rookie

Add to the list

I would really like the progress bar to disappear when hitting pause, frame advance, slow motion etc. One of the reasons to use Pause, is to examine the detail of a great hockey goal or golf shot. Often, the progress bar gets in the way. Let it reappear when Play is pressed.
post #44 of 198 (permalink) Old 2012-02-18, 07:18 AM

That would be nice, in the meantime the "clear" button does the job.

Sony KDL-55HX750, (Shaw Gateway,4 portals) , Sony STR-DN1000, Sony BDP-S590, Logitech Harmony 650
post #45 of 198 (permalink) Old 2012-02-18, 01:14 PM
Veteran

Location: Calgary SonyTVs, ShawXG1 Gateway & 5 Portals, 2x Harmony One
Yes, 'Pause', 'Clear' then Frame Advance does the trick. I'd like to be able to move the graphic either to the very bottom of the screen or the very top.

If you can then do rather than not. You're your own worst enemy. They're parking their car over there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in