Shaw Gateway: Issues & fixes - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 198 (permalink) Old 2011-09-20, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Premium Supporter

Exclamation REMINDER

This is not meant to be a discussion thread — just a list of issues for quick consultation. If you have an issue that you think needs to be added to the list, please leave a quick reply here. I'll amend the main list with your replies from time to time. If you wish to discuss a problem, please see one of the links below.
Cheers!

WHERE TO DISCUSS

Main discussion thread (after April 2012 firmware rollout)
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=153175

Adding external drives
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=142528

Gateway promotions (new subs only)
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=144468

Wait times for Gateway support
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=145274

If these threads do not cover your topic, you are welcome to start a new thread within the Shaw HDPVR forum.

Last edited by downbeat; 2011-09-21 at 02:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 198 (permalink) Old 2011-09-21, 05:40 AM
Rookie

IR blaster system disabled on Shaw Gateway portal

Anybody know what the timeline is to have this basic feature enabled?
Shaw installers were just by and installed the PVR Gateway and 5 Portals. I asked them to place the portals in the cabinets but they informed me that the portals needed to be placed outside the cabinets in order for the remotes to work because the IR blaster system is disabled. I have spent over $10,000 wiring our home properly so I can hide equipment and don't have to see wires dangling. Not having this enabled is disappointing especially because it is such a basic and common thing to have working. Please advise.
post #18 of 198 (permalink) Old 2011-10-10, 02:07 PM

I would like to see

Hopefully this is the right thread.

I would like the ability to program a regular timed recording. For example PART of a newscast but only once a week. Currently if you try this it will record every day.

I also do not find it easy to search frame-by-frame. Possible but not easy.

Please move this if it is in the wrong place.

post #19 of 198 (permalink) Old 2011-10-12, 03:41 PM

Exclamation Portal Panel Dimming

And while I'm at it ...

The dimming range on the portal front panel is also ridiculous!!

It should have four settings:
  • HIGH (FULL ON)
  • MEDIUM (SAME AS THE CURRENT DIMMEST SETTING)
  • LOW - BARELY VISIBLE !! <<<==== THIS IS THE CHANGE REQUIRED
  • OFF
The current lowest brightess setting is WAAAYYY TO BRIGHT for a projector environment!!

Someone at Arris/Shaw should look at the "dimmest" settings used by Yamaha on their AVRs/digital sound projectors for a clue.

CAVU
92-inch Infocus Theatre
post #20 of 198 (permalink) Old 2011-10-14, 12:14 AM

Here are some of the most recent issues (not simple User Interface / Getting used to new buttons problems) that need attention.
I have personally had problems with the top half of the items listed below, but the lower half of the list has been posted by many other users on this thread.

• Channel logos are missing from numerous channels
• Program listings are non-existent for 232 Food Network HD (Currently shows 232.1 TBA)
• ‘Sound Effects’ do not work in Dolby Digital mode
• Programs recorded back-to-back on the same channel can NOT be overlapped by 1 or 2 minutes … at least one of the programs will not record (Possibly can be saved by power cycling the Gateway)
• The sleep / timeout screensaver for an ‘unchanged channel’ should be selectable as ON / OFF / 2 Hours / 4 Hours / 6 Hours
• The ‘paused TV’ / ’no-movement on a menu’ screensaver needs a setting like the Moto/Pace PVR’s (1,2,3,5 mins)
• We need IR Receivers to be activated, so people can hide the portals and use the “IR Bubble” … does anyone actually need an IR Blaster on their PVR? (What are you SENDING a signal to? We need to RECEIVE a signal from the remote)
• Channel Grid guide is randomly missing blocks of channels occasionally (e.g. scrolling up will show 200,201,202 … then a blank area of 6 channels, then 208,209 etc)
• The ability to detect "New" shows vs "repeats". Repeats are being recorded, even though the record options are set to "First run only". This is likely a guide supplier issue, but regardless requires more attention to detail.
• Watching a VOD can cause problems for other portals on the system at the time of viewing
• Channel Grid guide is slow to display and update
• Channel List guide is sometimes slow to display
• Some glitches in the performance of skip and replay.
• Some people are still missing the first minute or so of the episode – Still some timing issues.
• If you try to extend a recording that is in progress (because you notice the program going long), ‘extend’ doesn't work.

Can anybody think of non-UI issues to add to this list?
Does anyone have any fixes / ideas for any of these items that others do not know about?
post #21 of 198 (permalink) Old 2011-10-21, 03:00 AM

add to the list,

noticing audio sync issues on various channels, HD and non HD.. sometimes its ok and other times its quite bad, a second or 2 off sync. power cycle doesnt seem to help when its out of sync.

am i the only person with this problem?
post #22 of 198 (permalink) Old 2011-10-25, 07:41 PM
Member #1

From post /1

Quote:
This is not meant to be a discussion thread — just a list of issues for quick consultation. If you have an issue that you think needs to be added to the list, please leave a quick reply here. I'll amend the main list with your replies from time to time. If you wish to discuss a problem, please see one of the links below.
As noted, discussion posts will be removed. This thread is strictly meant to be a laundry list of issues.

Please see
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=145709

to discuss Gateway use and how to do certain things.

post #23 of 198 (permalink) Old 2011-10-29, 04:19 PM

post iS2 issues

UI:
- Recorded shows still showing red (recording in progress) AFTER show has completed recording. Show recorded properly and plays fine. 3 of 30+ recordings showing this way today.

non-UI:
- Often enough to be annoying a show loses audio when skipping backward or forward, then play. The only way to recover audio is to pause, then play. Sometimes pause->play has to be repeated but mostly restores audio after one try.
post #24 of 198 (permalink) Old 2011-11-02, 10:38 AM

Was listening to Galaxy station, enabled "guide" and Galaxy's overlay with song info remained on screen until guide deactivated and reactivated.

My main portal is hooked to audio in sig. I have Audio setting to Dolby. Many times now I've noticed the receiver displaying PCM and portal giving beeps and clicks during menus. Checked settings, and yes it's still on Dolby, exit settings, unpause program and receiver reports Dolby is 3/2.1 and working again. :/

And I'll just throw in:
1) the missing blocks of stations coming and going, and yes I have removed unsubscribed stations from the list and don't care to add them back as a fix. VERY ANNOYING!!!! Identified last July and still not resolved.
2) audio sync on occasion.

Thanks for maintaining this list.

Sony KDL-55HX750, (Shaw Gateway,4 portals) , Sony STR-DN1000, Sony BDP-S590, Logitech Harmony 650
post #25 of 198 (permalink) Old 2011-11-11, 02:04 AM

Update since my Oct 29 post, I have not experienced audio loss in more than the past week and no completed recorded shows are showing as red. Gateway system is working great, I have no pending complaints for recording TV.
post #26 of 198 (permalink) Old 2011-11-11, 12:20 PM

Errror: Badly Formed Request (P002) VOD access

Big problem with VOD. I have had the error: Badly formed request (P002) show up when I select VOD. Shaw says it's an issue, but I don't see much of anybody else complaining about it. I guess the only fix is to order VOD online and then it automatically starts working for a few days and then goes back to the error badly formed request when trying to access it off the gateway menu.
post #27 of 198 (permalink) Old 2011-11-15, 03:22 PM

I too have had issues with the blocks of listings just missing, usually 233 to 240, just not there although I subscribe to them. Also when I have Galaxy on, it only shows the song title and not the artist.
Also at times picture freezes and guide doesnt go back to current channel when you look through guide.
post #28 of 198 (permalink) Old 2011-11-15, 07:25 PM
Veteran

Location: Calgary SonyTVs, ShawXG1 Gateway & 5 Portals, 2x Harmony One
The guide doesn't go back to 'current channel' unless you press 'Menu', once or twice. This is a 'feature', not a 'defect'. Once you know about it and understand it, it is actually quite handy.

If you can then do rather than not. You're your own worst enemy. They're parking their car over there.
post #29 of 198 (permalink) Old 2011-11-19, 01:26 AM

Location: Edmonton,Shaw HD, Hitachi 42"; Sony KDL40Z4100B , Gateway + 3 Portals
recent issues

Hi,

Seems like there has been some issues the last few days. Global no longer appears on ch 211, and I have missed several recordings that I have set up.

Anybody else noticed anything weird last little while ?
post #30 of 198 (permalink) Old 2011-11-20, 12:34 AM

Location: Edmonton,Shaw HD, Hitachi 42"; Sony KDL40Z4100B , Gateway + 3 Portals
^

Blade did not record on ch 240, even though it had a green circle or some such image on the guide which indicates it should have been recorded !

Now 211 has the global logo but pn the guide it says CITVDT(CITV-DT).

Not sure why I've had such luck lately.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in