Long wait times waiting for Gateway support - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 2011-09-10, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Long wait times waiting for Gateway support

Yikes that sounds bad... Time to setup a 2 hour call back
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 2011-09-10, 12:09 PM

Location: Chilliwack Mountain, Shaw Gateway & 3 Portals, Samsung UN60D8000, BenQ HDDLP, Denon AVR-1712
Presently on the phone waiting on Shaw Support, recording said 10-17 minute wait so I elected to stay on line rather than elect for the call back, well it's been an hour 10 and counting , lesson learned!
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 2011-09-10, 12:28 PM

Is that the wait on the regular line, or the Gateway specific support line?

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 2011-09-10, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

I have had the "your wait time is 40 minutes" and then waited 3 hours and was cut off with a busy signal... beep... beep... beep... at least it didn't say "our office is now closed" though

Good point Flash604, I have used the Gateway support number posted somewhere in the forum and it was a lot faster.
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 2011-09-10, 12:30 PM

Location: Chilliwack Mountain, Shaw Gateway & 3 Portals, Samsung UN60D8000, BenQ HDDLP, Denon AVR-1712
Now I am pissed after an hour and a half of waiting for a tech, one comes on and asks if I need a digital box, I said no, I am having problems with my Gateway system, he says ok, hold on a minute, next thing I know I am transferred to Customer Service and I am waiting again.
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 2011-09-10, 12:32 PM

Sorry to hear reboot...hope they can find the root cause and eliminate this irritant once and for all. If you are not satisfied with the resolution, perhaps, may be a good idea to escalate up the Shaw food chain... you paid a premium expecting a premium service and you had been helping Shaw trouble shoot as well.. my 2 cents
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 2011-09-10, 12:42 PM

But if he's not calling the Gateway support number, then once he gets through it's perfectly reasonable to expect that the tech might not be Gateway trained and that he would then need to be transferred to the correct line.
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 2011-09-10, 12:46 PM

I am on the 855 dedicated number
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 2011-09-10, 01:36 PM

After 2.5 hours finally got someone who didn't transfer me, he said I did all the troubleshooting that could be done and is sending a tech out to my place (sometime) next Friday, could not give me a specific time, so does that mean I wait all day in the hopes of someone showing up

This is not good, I sure as hell am glad I kept my old PVR (with all it's series recordings intact), so my wife still loves me
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 2011-09-10, 03:02 PM

Thanks for your thoughts Reboot. I may hold my decision to see how Shaw responds to frustrated customers like you regarding the gateway.

If I am in your shoes, after having paid a premium for the technology, I will be equally frustrated and if I am not satisfied with the resolution, I may take the following steps (some may not agree).. provided nothing has been previously signed to acknowledge that this gateway is a beta test.

1) Firstly, I have to decide when is my tipping point (enough is enough) and think what I wanted to achieve by escalation, ie do I want some form of credits to compensate me for my time and grief? If so, how much credit and equivalent to # of months rental fees....or ask for a lump sum credit on the gateway for not being able to use for a week.. waiting for tech

2) Then, if the problem is still unresolved in a couple of days, if I am in your situation, I will ask for the CSR to speak to his/her manager. I will give the manager a few days to work through and if I am not satisfied, I will ask for the next level up manager.. and I will firmly state to the mid level managers that I will keep going up to CEO if need be until it is resolved and I get the compensation I wanted or send a tech by Monday for example.

3) If I still can't get it resolved after going thru the above, I will give them a heads up that as a paying consumer, I have every right to ask a third party to act on my behalf and seek help from Better Business Bureau and consumer advocate in media such as CTV until it is resolved and my consumer rights are respected

Hope it will not come to that........ :-) All the best...

Last edited by Ric01; 2011-09-10 at 03:33 PM.
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 2011-09-10, 04:36 PM

From further troubleshooting with Gateway Support it would appear I have a failed Gateway box, it just keeps cycling itself so I will get a new box Friday losing all previously recorded programs. That sucks but fortunately I have everything I will lose recorded on my 6412 PVR

Retired, Gateway fan, motorcycle is insured, time to get away from the TV!
post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 2011-09-11, 01:32 AM

@Ric01 - I used to be that person you would talk to if you demanded the CEO for one of the 3 top computer manufacturers in the world... I was as high as you could go. I'd have to say that I'm not sure if you'd get too far with your plan; I was a customer advocate and compensated the customer when they deserved it; but something breaking and it being fixed as per the warranty did not qualify. If you wanted a product to be guaranteed to never break or need service of any sort, you would be paying tens of thousands for it minimum. There is an agreement already in place as to what will happen if something breaks, its called the warranty, and like most it states if something doesn't work they will fix it, nothing more. You do not automatically deserve compensation due to down time or "grief", nothing works perfectly and I do not get cheques from Microsoft when Windows has an issue or Ford if my car is in the shop. Compensation might be in order if they didn't fix it after an extended period, but we're talking about an issue that just started today. Even if they can't fix it on their first attempt, that still is something that happens and is not worthy of compensation, though you might get something minor to appease you. I think if you read the legalize of any standard warranty you will find that all this is covered right within the warranty, which you agree to by not immediately returning the product for a refund once it is given to you.

FYI - I also used to handle the BBB cases, and in a situation such as you describe, I would respond that we did everything as required by the warranty and then the BBB would close the case unless the consumer could prove otherwise. I also don't think the media would be too interested in a story of "My XXXXX broke and it took them a couple of tries to fix it"; the stories I see them cover is when warranties are totally ignored or issues go on for 6 months.

Just my 2 cents worth, but from the point of view of someone who has learned every little detail of warranties and dealt with customers who's issues were every point along the seriousness scale.
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 2011-09-11, 11:16 AM

I am satisfied that Shaw did what was expected, in fact I am very satisfied that anyone I dealt with did an exemplary job in trying to help me with my issue. The only knock is the very long wait times that Shaw appears to be addressing with the hiring of CSR's in many areas of BC.

post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 2011-09-11, 06:39 PM

Thanks Flash604 for your views. Happy to hear that Reboot is satisfied with the resolution of his problem.

I suggested compensation because during my last cable outage, I presented my case to Shaw and a manager agreed (after some investigation) to refund me two weeks worth of cable fees when I experienced intermittent outage for two weeks and could not benefit fully from my cable subscription due to network interruption. I was satisfied with Shaw's credit at that point and did not escalate any higher. This was not for gateway as I am not a gateway user yet but is leaning towards one.

While I agree with Flash604's view about the limitation of warranties etc, I did qualify in my previous post that escalation and asking for compensation may not be agreeable by everybody and is not everyone's cup of tea.

The point I was trying to make was that if a consumer is frustrated, he/she has every right to let the corporation and its managers be aware so that if it is a systemic company-wide problem experienced by multiple users in a short span of time, the senior leaders can have the opportunity to fix it then to experience an exodus of subscribers to the competition :-)

I am leaning towards the gateway instead of other competitor's technology after seeing that reboot has been taken care of by Shaw
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 2011-09-12, 01:46 PM

Regarding long wait times, I have a question that begs an answer. Shaw schedules 4 hours for a Gateway install, the average takes about 1.5-3 hours depending on complexity and installation issues. What happens with the "left over time"? I have a Gateway Box replacement scheduled for next Friday, a simple swap of equipment, you'd think they could schedule this in some of the spare time between Gateway installs? Just makes me wonder

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in