Shaw Gateway: Adding External Drives - Page 42 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #616 of 639 (permalink) Old 2015-07-01, 07:19 PM

I have 4 shows recording simultaneously and the LED on the enclosure is flashing away. I am able to view them as well.

Why I had to format it on another Gateway for 90 minutes to get it to format on mine in 25 minutes will just have to remain one of the great mysteries of Shaw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #617 of 639 (permalink) Old 2015-07-18, 01:52 AM

I just thought I'd post my experience in case it helps anyone.

I had a Gateway system installed a couple weeks ago and today I added a 3rd party expander consisting of a Vantec Nextar CX enclosure and a WD10PURX drive (1TB Western Digital Purple Series). I figured the 'surveillance' spec on the Purple drive should serve it well as a DVR drive.

I plugged it in and expected to see the notice pop up to format, but nothing happened. After a couple reboots, I hopped on a chat, knowing that Shaw wouldn't help specifically with the 3rd party drive, but I only asked if I needed a 'code' sent to my box to activate the expander option. The tech said no, it should be ready to go so I tried unplugging/replugging he expander and Gateway a couple more times.

Finally the option to format showed up. I let it format for a while and then the Gateway appeared to lock up and reboot...when it came to, I was again without an expander detected. Several more reboots and still no joy.

Finally, after reading through almost all of the posts here, I decided to reverse the cable and wouldn't you know it, the format option came up. I formatted, and everything seems to be working normally now.

I know the eSata cables are not 'directional' but there are now at least two reports on this thread of reversing the cable. I had unplugged and replugged the cable a few times (from each end) while trying to get the expander to be recognized so I don't think a bad connection could be to blame?

Yet another in the long line of Shaw mysteries.

Anyways, happy to have it working.
post #618 of 639 (permalink) Old 2015-07-31, 05:13 PM

It has been a month and everything continues to work well. 24 hours of HD and it hasn't gone over 2%.

I had definitely suspected the cable when I had all my problem. I took the cable off my 1 TB Shaw drive and kept the ends orientated expander to expander and gateway to gateway. After I got the expander to work with my neighbour's Gateway I went back to my original cable which worked fine so I ruled out the cable.

Firmware was a possibility but I doubt my firmware would have been out of sync with my neighbour's box for two weeks.

As stated, just another in the long line of Shaw mysteries. I suspected that there was something wrong with my Gateway but since it worked well with the 1TB Shaw sanctioned expander I would have a tough time convincing Shaw of it.

post #619 of 639 (permalink) Old 2015-12-11, 02:13 PM
Rookie

Using a Velicity Elite 2.0 USB enclocure

I've looked all over (including a 40 page thread on this forum) and can't seem to find a specific answer to my questions.....

I currently have an ARRIS Gateway (3 portals) with a Velocity Elite 2.0 USB (purchased about 7 years ago) and a WD 1TB (I believe Green) drive. As I am now 89% full, I would like to increase the space as much as possible however I have a few questions....

1. What is the largest HDD I can put into the Velocity enclosure. Ultimately, I would like to insert a 6 TB drive if possible.

2. If the Velocity can't handle a single 6 TB drive, is it possible to "daisy chain" two Velocity enclosures together? For example, if they can handle up to a 3TB drive, can I put one in each enclosure, connect them, them connect them to the Gateway?

2. I also have a DNS 343 NAS with 6 TB of storage I could possibly use, has anyone been able to connect one of these successfully to their Gateway?

Thanks in advance for any advice you are able to provide.

Cheers,
Dean
post #620 of 639 (permalink) Old 2015-12-11, 02:58 PM

Is that USB only? If so you can't use it with the gateway, only esata works.
post #621 of 639 (permalink) Old 2015-12-11, 03:37 PM
Rookie

Sorry, no, it also has esata
post #622 of 639 (permalink) Old 2015-12-11, 06:02 PM
Rookie

The enclosure is currently hooked up to the Gateway with a 1TB drive, I really just need to know if the Velocity Elite can handle a 6 TB Drive? If not, that is the largest drive I can put into it?
post #623 of 639 (permalink) Old 2015-12-11, 10:38 PM
Veteran

Here it indicates 750GB so don't know how to answer that!

Velocity Elite Series V2 2.5in Enclosure, USB 2.0 at Memory Express

On the same site the USB 3 and version 3 indicate 3TB so I doubt 6GB.
post #624 of 639 (permalink) Old 2016-01-06, 09:08 PM

I just bought a new gateway (the new model, self-install) and right away I connected to it an old enclosure I had (nexstar 3) which happened to have usb 2.0 and esata, I was asked if I wanted to format the drive and I said ok, after some time I checked again the page about the external drive and it only has an option to disconnect it, is there any way to see if the gateway is seeing all the space on the HD? since the pvr was empty, just bought it, it is at 0%. I vaguely remember the old 6412 (which I upgraded from, it's been a while!) had a way to see a diagnostic screen that would give in bytes the free/used of the internal and external hd, is there any way to get that information on the gateway? also, is there any way to know if the drive disconnects/reconnects or if it is solid?
post #625 of 639 (permalink) Old 2016-01-11, 04:53 PM
Rookie

WD 6tb purple drive

I purchased a WD 6tb purple SATA drive and tried to hook it up to my gateway system. It finds the drive and asks me to format it, but then it seems to hang up. Should this work and if so how do I know if it is formating or how long should it take to format.

Thanks for any help you can give.
(I am really out of my league here with very little experience in any of this.)
post #626 of 639 (permalink) Old 2016-01-11, 06:26 PM

How long did you wait during this hang time?

Another poster on the previous page said their 6TB Purple drive took an hour and a half but they had to do it on their neighbours Gateway. Then it only took 25 minutes to redo on theirs.
post #627 of 639 (permalink) Old 2016-01-12, 10:47 AM
Rookie

WD 6tb purple drive

I probably didn't wait long enough but I couldn't see if it was doing anything. Does it show somewhere that is it formatting or what should I see.

(thanks for all the help)
post #628 of 639 (permalink) Old 2016-01-12, 11:00 AM

Unfortunately there is no progress indicator. All you get is the message you saw, then you have to wait and see.

Check the current percentage of the HDD then compare it in about 1.5-2 hours. Unless you happen to be watching and it indicates it's complete. (I don't recall that message being persistent so it may be missed if not actively monitored. Though my memory is not the greatest.)

It's a good sign it see's the drive right away. Just give it plenty of time. I recall my 3TB drive taking some time, though I can't remember exactly how long. It's not like a computer, that can do it in no time at all. Unfortunately.
post #629 of 639 (permalink) Old 2016-01-12, 11:50 AM

I currently have just under 70 hours taped and the PVR tells me I am at 6% usage, so the space is going down a bit slower than I thought it would given the various documentation I saw which is 1TB expander -> 120 hours of HD, so I should be getting about 540 total, meaning that 70 hours should be at 12-13% with the 4.5TB I have rather than 7%, maybe this is because newer boxes are getting more efficient compression with the new channels compared to the old MPEG2? most of my recordings are on the new channels I couldn't see with my old pvr.

Also in terms of formatting fortunately my esata enclosure has an LED so I saw it blinking right away when it started formatting, for me it took between 1 and 2 hours to format (don't know the exact time as I wasn't in the room when it finished)
post #630 of 639 (permalink) Old 2016-01-18, 09:52 PM

Quote:
maybe this is because newer boxes are getting more efficient compression with the new channels compared to the old MPEG2? most of my recordings are on the new channels I couldn't see with my old pvr.
I think so. With a previous DVR's service menu, I saw that the recordings off Shaw MPEG4 channels were usually a bit less than 8 Mbit/s. That translates to more than 1200 hours video.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in