CHCH Hamilton, ON - CH 15 Now Live - Dec 2, 2013 - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 498 (permalink) Old 2013-11-14, 07:52 PM
Veteran

WBNF came in at my location consistently at 2 bars, always worked, now CHCH has completely replaced it with no pixelating, so the I/F which i'm sure is their is not causing any issues for me at present. WBNF has a null towards your location in the west end so I doubt it's that. Now regarding those other areas you mentioned, i'm sure their will be some issues, and someone will post about it soon enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 498 (permalink) Old 2013-11-14, 08:13 PM
Veteran

Location: Toronto/Etobicoke - Bloor/Royal York/Queensway/Islington
I just did an experiment with my rotor and found I can get a good signal from CHCH RF15 if I aim it almost right at Hamilton, but still not as good as CITS RF 36. But then I lose almost all of my Toronto and Buffalo stations. Normally, my aim is right at Buffalo and I pick up Toronto and Hamilton on the sides.

I seem to remember that the DB4e has less gain on the lower UHF channels so maybe that's it??

Anyway, once VHF 11 goes down (ironically the DB4e has pretty good gain on that channel ), I doubt there will be many times I'll swing the aim around since it feeds 2 TVs and 2 TiVos. There's a number of DB4e owners in my neighbourhood with fixed aim towards Buffalo that are going to end up losing CHCH as a cruel irony to a VHF-to-UHF move.

A-D DB4e & CS5, CM 4221 & 7778, TiVo Premiere & Roamio
post #63 of 498 (permalink) Old 2013-11-14, 08:23 PM
Veteran

It likely won't be impossible, but will require a swing away from the interference. Will all depend how important that one independent station is to the end user relative to what they normally watch.

My suggestion to anyone with interference: Get a rotor.
May even future proof your system for whenever the FCC comes out with the next
spectrum compression Freq Plan

DB8E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 8way split LG lcd.

post #64 of 498 (permalink) Old 2013-11-14, 08:25 PM

Oddly i was picking up both 11-1 and 11-2 when rf15 was on low power, but i get nothing now on 11-2 and weird behavior from my tuner. When i scan, my tuner detects 11-2, but not 11-1. When i try to tune in 11-2 it says channel not available. I flip off the station and then back and suddenly it says 11-1, and comes in just fine.

So im guessing my tuner is getting confused about something? If anyone has any ideas let me know.
post #65 of 498 (permalink) Old 2013-11-14, 08:27 PM
Veteran

try deleting them both or one at a time and rescanning?

DB8E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 8way split LG lcd.
post #66 of 498 (permalink) Old 2013-11-14, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h3yn0w View Post
Oddly i was picking up both 11-1 and 11-2 when rf15 was on low power, but i get nothing now on 11-2 and weird behavior from my tuner. When i scan, my tuner detects 11-2, but not 11-1. When i try to tune in 11-2 it says channel not available. I flip off the station and then back and suddenly it says 11-1, and comes in just fine.

So im guessing my tuner is getting confused about something? If anyone has any ideas let me know.
I'm in the same boat. I was receiving CHCH fine at low power here in the Hurontario/Eglinton area of Mississauga but now it's gone. I hate to fiddle with my antenna as I am picking up Toronto and Buffalo stations well and it took some work to get to this point.

Lester
post #67 of 498 (permalink) Old 2013-11-15, 08:50 AM

"I'd love to hear what people in St.Catherines, Welland, Niagara Falls, etc. are seeing. "

@ the "Entrance to the Welland Canal" 11-1 @ 50%; 11-2 @90% with the current permanent (i.e. rotatorless) NW/SE Reflector less SSH alignment. The increase in power will allow me to align more in a N/S direction (i.e. which has always been a balancing act between Hamilton stations to the west and Toronto stations to the north) and possibly pick up more of the weaker southern stations across Lake Erie.
post #68 of 498 (permalink) Old 2013-11-15, 10:40 AM
Rookie

Receiving RF15 in Downtown Hamilton (King/Hess). I am in a second storey apartment facing south with an indoor Terk HDTVa antenna. The signal meter on my LG TV varies beween 58% and 62%. A bit weaker compared to CITS which comes in around 68% but RF15 seems less sensitive to aiming.

A massive improvement for me over RF11 which I cannot see at all at this location with the indoor antenna as my aiming path is blocked by several buildings.
post #69 of 498 (permalink) Old 2013-11-15, 11:04 AM

RF15 is now showing up as "Grouper" 4-2, with a looped underwater sequence for video and no sound.

36' 8200U-KT200-HDHR#1067A7DF / 33' DB8e-CM7777-HDHR#1067A183
post #70 of 498 (permalink) Old 2013-11-15, 01:15 PM
HWP

I'm in the east end of downtown Toronto (East York, Pape + Danforth area). I have an amplified antenna that has to point through the CN Tower to point at Hamilton directly. Up until now, I have had to rotate my antenna to receive a weak CHCH on rf11.

The new CHCH on rf15 is way, way, way better than RF11.

A single "sweet spot" to aim at and get EVERYTHING!

I am now able to rotate my antenna to a single SWEET SPOT pointing at Buffalo to get all of the Toronto stations, CHCH and CITS in Hamilton, CKVP in Font Hill, and all of the Buffalo stations including WNYB, WDTB, WPXJ, WBBZ, WGRZ, WIVB, WKBW, WNED, WNLO, WUTV, WNYO).

It is noteworthy that the Buffalo RF15 was a 24/7 reliable channel for me and that is now gone with CHCH rf15 broadcasting.

When I scan in on my "sweet spot" I'm locking in 39 channels including sub-channels. With some luck, when WBXZ fires up, my channel count might be as high as 45 channels with a single aim.

CHCH is a great new addition to my channel line-up.

To sum-it-up with respect to CHCH on rf15. I do not have to have a direct aim at Hamilton anymore to receive CITS and CHCH. There is a spot pointing more toward Buffalo where I can have it all -- including the new CHCH. What more could I ask for from CHCH?

Thanks for getting this done, CHCH.

OTA, Winegard HD7679 UHF&VHF-high Antenna, CM7778 pre-amp
CM Rotator, CM3218 Splitter, TiVo Premier, HDHomeRun
post #71 of 498 (permalink) Old 2013-11-15, 01:39 PM
Veteran

Soon WBXZ will be up with 5 or 6 new channels b-casting from the same location and ERP as WDTB
post #72 of 498 (permalink) Old 2013-11-15, 02:42 PM

The station is much stronger than ch 11 here in Kitchener. No problem receiving it while pointed at Toronto...comparable to the old channel 18 transmission for me.

Roof-top mounted Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
post #73 of 498 (permalink) Old 2013-11-15, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewdc View Post
Soon WBXZ will be up with 5 or 6 new channels b-casting from the same location and ERP as WDTB
Though at very low power
post #74 of 498 (permalink) Old 2013-11-15, 03:01 PM
Veteran

15KW is not bad, I get WDTB at my location. Some of the Canadian full power allotments are lower than that.
post #75 of 498 (permalink) Old 2013-11-15, 04:31 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase88 View Post
The station is much stronger than ch 11 here in Kitchener. No problem receiving it while pointed at Toronto...comparable to the old channel 18 transmission for me.
No luck in Waterloo yet. I think my bearing favours Toronto. I have not successfully tuned ch11 in over a year, and receive ch36 reliably (I don't record anything here, just always appears when I randomly scan). I have a DB8.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in