Status of ATSC-MH (Mobile) Stations in Canada - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 2012-06-19, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Question Status of ATSC-MH (Mobile) Stations in Canada

The following stations are now testing ATSC-MH...

CBLFT-DT ch 25 Toronto has " 5.2 CBC E "
CKCO-DT ch 13 Kitchener has " 13.1 CTV-1 "

Threshold of reception is lower than regular ATSC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 2012-06-19, 08:59 PM
Veteran

Sweet, thanks I will check this out...

Edit: Sure enough. Pretty cool...

DB8E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 8way split LG lcd.

Last edited by majortom; 2012-06-19 at 09:26 PM. Reason: add screen capture
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 2012-06-19, 09:54 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Thanks for the heads up, cxgy, this is great news.

I've moved this announcement into it's own thread here so that others can give their results and also tip us off about the status of any other ATSC-MH broadcasts happening in Canada.

If ATSC-MH becomes commonplace in Canada we can go back to just using the existing Station Status threads, but for now, being that this is so new and undergoing testing, we'll keep tabs on the status here.

All technical discussion of the ATSC-MH standard continues in the following pre-existing thread:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=63639

Last edited by stampeder; 2012-06-25 at 10:06 PM.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 2012-06-19, 10:02 PM
Veteran

Recording Disabled?

Seems that recording is disabled. Dunno if that's a function of Wintv while tuned to an ATSC-MH channel, or if it's disabled by the stream. It will record normal ATSC obviously. Currently WinTV is the only SW I have installed here capable of playing with this tuner (Hauppauge Aero-M) in ATSC-MH mode so no way to tell on this end.

Last edited by majortom; 2012-06-19 at 10:16 PM. Reason: specify tuner
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 2012-06-19, 10:06 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Yikes, are they implementing the evil Broadcast Flag? I sure hope it's just a glitch or some other cause. Hopefully someone can take a TSReader sample and check on that. If my worst fear is confirmed this use of it may not be legal but I would definitely want to ask Professor Michael Geist for his opinion on that.

post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 2012-06-19, 10:13 PM
Veteran

Don't know.
Maybe someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not aware of a TsReader Source capable of tuning the MH signal (yet). When ya tune with the standard ATSC source, that's what you'll get. The stream as demodulated in standard ATSC 8VSB mode. In other words it's transparent to the normal ATSC signal.

I may have to check up on the linux developers again to see if they made any more progress on this device adding MH support in linux. Far as I know the guts are in the kernel now, but SW tools have yet to be written to go along with it. Scanning, zapping and such have to do their piece as well.

post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 2012-06-19, 10:15 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Ah... good info. If anyone has a solution to dumping ATSC M/H streams for analysis it would be appreciated.

post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 2012-06-19, 11:17 PM

Okay, now I've got to go get an ATSC mobile device to test....as my local station is testing out mobile!

Roof-top mounted Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 2012-06-20, 12:50 AM
Veteran

Location: Dunnville, Ontario on the Grand River, North shore Lake Erie
Is there any sites like tvfool or rabbitears that tracks M/H availability broadcast areas?

3D SSH III with ZZ4 refl. http://imageshack.us/user/jmsdigital
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 2012-06-20, 01:42 AM
Veteran

rabbitears has a good way of looking for where the MH stations are. probably the only place.
And likely not enough yet to warrant a tvfool like application.

post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 2012-06-20, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

WinTV has tons of ATSC-MH stream info in its log.

After doing an ATSC-MH Scan ... goto ...

Settings - Advanced Options - Logs - Open Logs Directory - log.txt
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 2012-06-20, 09:40 AM
Veteran

Location: Dunnville, Ontario on the Grand River, North shore Lake Erie
Yippee,.. we're on the horizon of the mobile future!

So, 'WinTV compatable' devices do or will have an application to check data that relates to coverage area and mobile broadcast sources? I don't have a handheld yet, but I was thinking of buying a mobile/handheld for my daughter. There seems to be some things that you'd have to look for when buying a handheld device though such as WinTV, recordability options, etc..

Stampeder mentioned Broadcast flagging. From what I've read so far, some units may not have "broadcast flagging' capability and thus they must abide by the ATSC M/H Rules 'flag all' and won't be able to record at all.

CHCH has not announced a date yet, other than to say "coming in the future". Hopefully many more free mobile broadcasts will come and without the burden of having to subscribe to another greedy third party provider. To me, having the CHCH local news source at hand is the greatest asset of having a mobile handheld.

3D SSH III with ZZ4 refl. http://imageshack.us/user/jmsdigital
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 2012-06-20, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

One thing that's disconcerting in the US is that the NBC, Fox, Qubo, Telemundo & Univision mobile TV feeds are ENCRYPTED. You can only view the signal using a "Dyle TV" app on certain handheld devices.
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 2012-06-20, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampeder View Post
Ah... good info. If anyone has a solution to dumping ATSC M/H streams for analysis it would be appreciated.
I have the only M/H dump tool that I know of, and I'm not allowed to distribute it. What I can do, though, is be sent full transport stream captures, approximately 50MB in size, and feed it through the software and send back the output.

For example, here's output from WDIV in Detroit back in August 2011. http://www.rabbitears.info/atscinfo/53114-0_0.htm

I list a lot of the details in the main RabbitEars listings, plus there is this page: http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?request=atscmh

- Trip

RabbitEars.Info
Comments are my own and not that of my employer (the FCC) or anyone else.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 2012-06-20, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Don't forget that the Win TV also does an info dump, as I mentioned in #11 above.

Last edited by stampeder; 2012-06-20 at 02:25 PM. Reason: quote of previous post removed as per Rules

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in