CBLT CBC Toronto OTA Stuttering, Pixellation - May/June 2012 - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 103 (permalink) Old 2012-06-10, 11:37 AM

I think the theory on the guide data sounds like a good one. I left the French network on for a while and had no pixellation/stuttering at all. It also had no guide data. I never paid attention before because I never watch the channel because I don't know French.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 103 (permalink) Old 2012-06-10, 07:00 PM
HWP

I don't think it can be a reception problem, El Gran Chico. CBC comes in perfectly on my Panasonic and HDHomeRuns but horribly with my Dynex and Vizio. All the same antenna. Meanwhile I have flawless reception of all my other channels.

OTA, Winegard HD7679 UHF&VHF-high Antenna, CM7778 pre-amp
CM Rotator, CM3218 Splitter, TiVo Premier, HDHomeRun
post #78 of 103 (permalink) Old 2012-06-11, 04:18 PM
Rookie

I have had the same issue May/June with CBC on my Dynex and Insignia TV.

I'll have to take a look next time with my Sony or HTPC and see how it looks.

post #79 of 103 (permalink) Old 2012-06-11, 04:42 PM
Veteran

Location: Toronto/Etobicoke - Bloor/Royal York/Queensway/Islington
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWP View Post
I don't think it can be a reception problem, El Gran Chico. CBC comes in perfectly on my Panasonic and HDHomeRuns but horribly with my Dynex and Vizio. All the same antenna. Meanwhile I have flawless reception of all my other channels.
HWP, my thinking it was how different tuners handle low signal levels rather than how some tuners handle something in the ATSC PSIP. Just a guess I know, but Marc indicates all ok with the PSIP.

FWIW, my Sharp seemed fine with the signal fluctuations but the Toshiba upstairs was stuttering badly. Both HDTVs were showing fluctuations in the already low signal levels while the rest from the CN Tower were stable and strong.

Thinking this could be some multipath issue, I swung my 2nd antenna (on a rotor) to point directly at the CN Tower. The stuttering appeared to stop but the CBLT signal level was still well below all the others. It used to be the highest (which makes sense since it has the highest ERP of the transmitters up there).

A-D DB4e & CS5, CM 4221 & 7778, TiVo Premiere & Roamio
post #80 of 103 (permalink) Old 2012-06-11, 06:23 PM
HWP

I don't think this has anything to do with weak signal levels since my signals aren't weak.

Plus why would the picture only have problems during ads, replays, and news reports, while the main content works smoothly? Some ads are perfect and then the next ad skips all through. And then the next day the same ads work and the same ads skip.

I have even simplified everything down to basics with my extra antenna, an Antennas Direct CS2v unamplified pointed at the CN Tower only four miles away with a perfect line of sight.

Even when pointed at the CN Tower to the SW the same antenna picks up ION on rf23 to the SE. That is a weak signal and it is also working fine - not to mention all of the other Buffalo channels that work regardless of aim.

Definitely, I think we can rule out poor reception because way too many people are having the exact same video problem without any audio problems.

Plus the signal meters on all of the TVs and the HDHomeRuns' good signal meters are all showing CBC as strong as ever.

Maybe some clues can be found by someone at CBC talking with someone at that Chicago TV station that had the same symptoms reported.

Here's hoping.

I'll keep monitoring signal levels just to confirm I'm not experiencing what you describe. But I really don't think it can be signal levels when only certain types of shows are affected.

post #81 of 103 (permalink) Old 2012-06-11, 09:56 PM
Veteran

Quite possible my report was a red herring. Signal levels from CBLT are back to normal and my stuttering issue is gone. Maintenance perhaps?

post #82 of 103 (permalink) Old 2012-06-12, 07:48 AM

Thanks for your observations El Gran Chico

Here in Ajax Ontario the problem persists

I install antennas, so mine is not only pointed properly (for over two years), but I use a video signal amplifier to boost all signals.

CBC is at 100% signal strength, and still drops out & pixelates.

Audio remains on, just the video drops out

Sometimes every 10 seconds, sometimes once per minute, sometimes once every 5 minutes.

It is very frustrating, especially during the Stanley Cup.

Congrats L.A.
post #83 of 103 (permalink) Old 2012-06-12, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

Same results here for me in Markham this morning. Samsung stutters every 10 seconds or so while Sony works fine. Signal strength is at 100%. Stuttering was there in live part as well as commercials and replays of Kings/Devils last night
post #84 of 103 (permalink) Old 2012-06-12, 01:37 PM
HWP

Don't know if this means anything, but at 1PM today Doc Zone is on...a doc about Google.

Neither of my two trouble TVs are having any problems with either the documentary or any of the ads.

I'll continue to monitor....

...Steven & Chris and ads, etc. are all working fine.

post #85 of 103 (permalink) Old 2012-06-12, 02:02 PM
HWP

I'm now guessing it is PSIP related.

The guide data is now missing. And my stuttering problem is now gone.

Thanks for working at this, CBC! It's good to have CBC back.

If the problem is isolated now, it will hopefully be easier to figure out the solution.

post #86 of 103 (permalink) Old 2012-06-12, 03:48 PM
Veteran

Yup, just verified via TSReader that EIT/ETT are gone (also noticed the time in STT is about 5 minutes slow).

post #87 of 103 (permalink) Old 2012-06-13, 07:39 AM
tgf

No stuttering this morning during the Kids CBC cartoons. This is the first time in a long time they have been watchable. I will keep spot checking various programs and movies for any issues.
post #88 of 103 (permalink) Old 2012-06-13, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

After a quick check it looks like my stuttering is gone as well. Well done CBC for reacting to this problem! Marc, if you had any input to this my hat is off to you or whoever made the changes.
post #89 of 103 (permalink) Old 2012-06-13, 04:30 PM
Veteran

Now the trick would be to add EIT/ETT back in WITHOUT disrupting the video. For me, it's a net loss.

post #90 of 103 (permalink) Old 2012-06-13, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

El Gran Chico I agree but while they figure it out you have to give them credit for making the broadcast watchable. If it comes down to knowing what is on or actually being able to watch it I will take being able to watch it for now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in