OTA Station Status: Lk. Ontario North Shore, Syracuse, Utica - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 149 (permalink) Old 2013-01-10, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard416282 View Post
AS of12:00 Noon (Yesterday 2013-01-09) they were up and running. But after 5 Pm there must have been trouble, as My ATAC equipped DVD player/recorder no longer displays a picture or audio. The carrier signal however, is 100%.

Appears that they may have a glitch or two.
This is esentially what I posted in the Kawathas thread...

Weds.January 9th,2013:

Aprox. 10 AM -Ch. 27 -analog -shutdown
Aprox. 11 AM -Ch.27 CIII-HD - up
Aprox. 1pm+-Ch.27 - 'full signal',nothing there.I discovered it had remapped to 41,1,41.2(physical : 27)
Late Evening: same above on 41.1 amd.2,I had 3 27.1s in my show/hide channels menu(Sony Bravia TV),and now,there was,and still is a 'test002' on 10.2(27) in 480i.

I'll be glad when they get it sorted out.I only wish Sony had put in a delete channel function.As it is,when it's all straightened out,I'll either have to hide the channels,or do an auto program to wipe out the mess they've created and lose all the tropo stuff I picked up a few summers ago! lol

Last edited by itpro007ca; 2013-01-10 at 11:03 AM. Reason: add date,fix error
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 149 (permalink) Old 2013-01-13, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvlurker View Post
WSPX attempted to get channel 14 before the transition. The FCC said no. Post-transition, they are running on channel 15.

- Trip

RabbitEars.Info
Comments are my own and not that of my employer (the FCC) or anyone else.
post #48 of 149 (permalink) Old 2013-01-25, 11:40 AM
Veteran

CHEX Peterboroigh and CKWS to convert to digital by August 31, 2013

Corus' applications to flash cut the main Peterborough and Kingston transmitters was posted on the CRTC website today.

Feel free to comment on the applications on the CRTC website.

post #49 of 149 (permalink) Old 2013-01-25, 12:28 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
^^^I don't think CKWS-DT will have enough power, especially given that it is staying on channel 11. The current plan doesn't even have the NLBC reach the Grade B contour. Optimally I would like to see the DUC match the Grade A analog contour resulting in the NLBC extending beyond the Grade B contour.

Link to my TVFool results is in my profile Homepage URL. I suggest others do the same.
post #50 of 149 (permalink) Old 2013-01-26, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvlurker View Post
Corus' applications to flash cut the main Peterborough and Kingston transmitters was posted on the CRTC website today.

Feel free to comment on the applications on the CRTC website.
Do you have a link to the CRTC Site? I don’t see it on the "Today's Releases " area.
post #51 of 149 (permalink) Old 2013-01-26, 10:09 PM
Veteran

You have to click on the Part I Applications: broadcasting link in today's releases.
post #52 of 149 (permalink) Old 2013-02-03, 01:04 PM

Found it. Thanks tvlurker.
post #53 of 149 (permalink) Old 2013-02-04, 08:47 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
^^^I don't think CKWS-DT will have enough power, especially given that it is staying on channel 11. The current plan doesn't even have the NLBC reach the Grade B contour. Optimally I would like to see the DUC match the Grade A analog contour resulting in the NLBC extending beyond the Grade B contour.
I spoke to someone familiar with frequency planning in the Kingston area, and he says because of the hilly terrain, many people in the area already have high gain VHF-High antennas on towers. Such installations are likely to suffer less from the underestimation of non-thermal noise contributions to overestimation of VHF digital coverage areas, and so there might not be an issue. (Only time will tell -- we know that WWNY needed to upgrade from 24kW to 42 kW and use channel 18 as a repeater to replicate its coverage in St Lawrence County just across the River.)

So it is worth keeping an eye on the situation. Certainly, people in the region who may have had trouble with WWNY at 24kW may want to intervene.
post #54 of 149 (permalink) Old 2013-02-04, 11:29 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Good point tvlurker. Certainly one of the advantages of flash cutting. In the US, people got used to receiving DTV on UHF only and assumed they didn't need a VHF antenna. Many of the issues will go away with a proper VHF antenna. I am still not convinced that it removes all of the problems though. Even still, at minimum the NLBC should be equivalent to the Grade B contour.

Having repeaters in Brighton, "Prescott" and "Smiths Falls" should help many on the outer edge, though the repeaters will still be in analog.

Link to my TVFool results is in my profile Homepage URL. I suggest others do the same.
post #55 of 149 (permalink) Old 2013-03-03, 03:52 PM

Just saw a commercial on CKWS saying their main Wolfe Island transmitter
will be going digital on April 22.
post #56 of 149 (permalink) Old 2013-03-03, 08:12 PM
Rookie

Great, just read this information on their website. It will be nice to watch the news and hockey in HD. It stated that it will broadcast on channel 11.1 but not if it will be 720p or 1080i.
post #57 of 149 (permalink) Old 2013-03-10, 11:30 PM
Veteran

CHEX says OTA tranmission is coming...

Quote:
OTA Update: As of December 2012, we have just received the corporate go-ahead for the capital purchase of OTA digital transmitters in Peterborough and Kingston. There are site surveys to be done, installations, and modified fibre feeds linking the transmitter sites, but we should be HD OTA by early spring 2013. 16:9, and full HD for our news program productions will commence down the road, and will depend on other upgrades.
http://www.chextv.com/general/High_D...t_CHEX_TV.aspx

No word yet on OTA for Oshawa, but this is a step in the right direction.
post #58 of 149 (permalink) Old 2013-03-11, 10:11 AM
Veteran

I heard they are going HD OTA on August 31st, at least for CHEX, not sure about Kingston.
post #59 of 149 (permalink) Old 2013-03-11, 03:29 PM
Veteran

According to CKWS TV is going digital!, CKWS in Kingston is going digital on April 22nd.

post #60 of 149 (permalink) Old 2013-03-17, 04:27 PM

According to CHEX they are scheduled to go HD OTA on May 9th.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in