OTA NETWORK Status: GlobalTV - Page 9 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #121 of 278 (permalink) Old 2012-03-12, 10:55 AM

Ottawa

Hi Roger Last time I talked to Carol Darling, she had indicated, that they were trying to get the SUN TV transmitter, I understand that has now gone to the CBC French. I think they are still looking at Solutions. One of the things she mentioned, is that they know the problems with the lower frequencies in the VHF frequency, they have two transmitters, with 6 (Paris and Ottawa).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 278 (permalink) Old 2012-03-12, 01:39 PM
BCF

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA-London View Post
I have received Word from the VP of Tech Operations (Carol Darling) and (Paul Robertson) that 29 will be up and running this year. They have also indicated to me, that they know of the problems in London, and have hinted that they are looking at solutions. The also know the problems London is having with the signal as well.
Thanks OTA-London for posting the good news for those in the London and area.
Hopefully Global (Shaw) will also request from the CRTC better signal coverage in London.
Looking forward to Global 29 from Oil Springs to go OTA DTV.
post #123 of 278 (permalink) Old 2012-03-12, 02:40 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Did the CRTC approve CBOFT's application? I was planning on intervening against it (but ran out of time), not only because I thought Global was more deserving, but also because the lower HAAT would be problematic for those further north (on the Quebec side, where a large percentage of their viewers are). CBOFT's problems could have likely been resolved with more power and education on the need for a VHF antenna (CJOH on 13 is one of the easiest stations to receive).

If CBOFT's application did/does get approved, maybe Global could take over channel 9, as it would be much better than 6. This may require some shuffling as CBC may want to put a UHF antenna at the top of the tower (where the channel 9 antenna is) for both CBOT and CBOFT, but the channel 9 antenna could be moved down to where the channel 4 antenna is/was. Alternately, I think channel 50 is available instead (though they may need to move to Herbert's Corners).

Link to my TVFool results is in my profile Homepage URL. I suggest others do the same.

post #124 of 278 (permalink) Old 2012-03-12, 04:53 PM
HWP

CFTO Toronto CTV on rf9 is very powerful and up high and people near and far have little trouble with CFTO on VHF using their UHF antennas.

I hope Global stays on the same tower. CBOFT on rf9 works very well at my cottage in Kazabazua beyond the hilly terrain north of the tower. I have a 4228hd and a 7777 at the cottage. I'd be happy if Global took over that transmitter. Like you said, maybe just up the power.

No sign of Global at the cottage now -- not even with a vhf antenna.

OTA, Winegard HD7679 UHF&VHF-high Antenna, CM7778 pre-amp
CM Rotator, CM3218 Splitter, TiVo Premier, HDHomeRun
post #125 of 278 (permalink) Old 2012-03-12, 06:09 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
HWP, How well are you able to receive CBOT and TVO? CBOFT will be similar if/when they move to UHF.

BTW, how is your 10Y6S working? Can you receive Global with it? The elevation of Global's transmitter may be a problem for you.

Link to my TVFool results is in my profile Homepage URL. I suggest others do the same.
post #126 of 278 (permalink) Old 2012-03-13, 09:38 AM
HWP

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...0b86a6d35ec17d

The 4228hd is hooked on a tree up at the road. About 150ft of RG6 back to the cottage. 7777. Two TVs with digital-to-analog boxes (weak tuners).

We get every channel from Camp Fortune except Global. None of the channels ever break-up. Sun used to come in perfectly as well. CBOFT is one of the strongest channels even on rf9 with a 4228hd.

There are a lot of hills between the tower and my cottage. If CBOFT wants to change frequencies they must be aware of places with problems, but I doubt there are many complainers from my area 30 miles north of the tower. Doesn't VHF have some benefits in hilly terrain -- if it's adequately powered, and if a decent antenna is used?

I have a Wade-Delhi 10-y-6-s ten-element channel six antenna - brand new and unused, but there were some factory faults in the way the antenna was assembled so I can't unfold some of the directors and reflectors without breaking the plastic parts they are hinged on. I'm going to need to do my own repairs to get the antenna to work. I also need to take photos and measurements to share with the Antennas R&D forum here. But so far I haven't had time and I haven't thought of how to make the repairs.

I tested another much older and weaker VHF antenna but no Global, but the test location was less-than-ideal. The best spot on the property is up that tree by the road, but you can't put a yagi on a tree so it was tested on the roof. Eventually I'll get the Delhi tested, but I'm not holding my breath.

Interestingly if I re-aim to Pembroke I can get decent analog reception of CTV2 on rf5.

Global is massively underpowered. I wish they'd get off of low-vhf. It's not good service to their audience. Given that we get nothing but sniffs from Herbert Corners, we hope Global stays on the same tower.

As it is, it is just a summer cottage and we consider ourselves to be extremely fortunate to have CBC, CTV, and TVO in flawless HD along with even stronger signals from the four French channels. That is way more than fits our need for a summer cottage.

post #127 of 278 (permalink) Old 2012-03-13, 12:27 PM
Veteran

Global is underpowered, but another factor is elevation. They are the lowest TV transmitter on the tower.

As for CBOFT, looking at your TVFool results, I would guess they will drop more than 10 dB when they move lower on the tower. I think this move will be problematic for their primary audience (they will drop from the strongest to the weakest French station for for many on the Quebec side).

post #128 of 278 (permalink) Old 2012-03-13, 12:45 PM
HWP

If the new CBOFT transmitter set-up is the same as the old Sun TV set-up from before transition, we would have no trouble receiving CBOFT.

Sun worked great at our place until they shut themselves down.

There's probably a large OTA francophone audience in Orleans and points east beyond Rockland, etc. I wonder if that's the area that is the source of trouble using rf9.

I can't see many people having trouble with rf9 as it is on the north side of the tower. It is so strong even using our UHF antenna.

post #129 of 278 (permalink) Old 2012-03-13, 01:51 PM

Smile Oil Springs

That is potentially great news OTA-London. By any chance did you ask Carol Darling if the Oil Springs signal is expected to reach London? I can pick up the analog signal albeit slightly grainy most of the time. It is also nice to hear that they are aware of the problems with Global here in london. Hopefully things will be sorted out one way or another sometime this year.

CM 4221hd, CM 7777, CM 9521A, 30 foot tower, Farthest station KWKB Iowa City, Iowa 525 miles.
post #130 of 278 (permalink) Old 2012-03-13, 03:30 PM
Veteran

We are really getting off thread here, but CBOFT will not be the same as SunTV was. SunTV was on channel 20, but that is now being used by CJMT. CBOFT plan to use SunTV's post transition allocation of channel 33.

post #131 of 278 (permalink) Old 2012-03-17, 03:48 AM
Premium Supporter

Exclamation On topic, please

Just a friendly reminder this thread is about NETWORK STATUS for Global Television. If you have issues concerning station status for a particular city/region, please look up a corresponding regional STATION status thread.
Thanks for your co-operation.
post #132 of 278 (permalink) Old 2012-03-19, 06:36 PM
Veteran

Location: Toronto/Etobicoke - Bloor/Royal York/Queensway/Islington
Quote:
Originally Posted by jihenry View Post
I noticed today that the Global SD subchannel is now on 72.2 in Ottawa at least on my CM7000PAL DVR which notified me of this new channel when I turned it on today. The TVs still see it on 6.2. I am beginning to think as was mentioned in an earlier post that this is all just a mistake and not an indication of them some day offering different programming on a subchannel.
I noticed a very subtle difference. On the ".1" channel, the logo on the bottom shows "Global HD" while the ".2" channel just shows "Global". I'd guess they are using the subchannel to feed some std def cable headends instead of forcing the headends to downcovert the main channel.

A-D DB4e & CS5, CM 4221 & 7778, TiVo Premiere & Roamio
post #133 of 278 (permalink) Old 2012-03-20, 12:05 PM
Veteran

I believe post transition Global has always had this SD sub-channel, but it is usually marked as hidden. It isn't so much to save the cable headends from downconverting, but to provide a stream with a 4:3 aspect ratio, allowing MC to choose when to letterbox or centre cut.

post #134 of 278 (permalink) Old 2012-03-20, 04:35 PM

Global MC is in Calgary. The signal leaving Calgary goes to the transmitters, cable and satellite BDUs without further switching. The exception is a few affiliates that have their own MC functions. Feeding a separate SD channel allows Global to select center-cut or letterbox in their MC and not rely on remotely located aspect ratio converters to generate the SD feed. Global's analog transmitters will use the SD feed from satellite or fibre. Smaller cable companies and MATV systems (institutions, hotels, seniors homes)may be using off-air ATSC signals for their SD digital or analog source so making it visible as a sub-channel will simplify reception.
post #135 of 278 (permalink) Old 2012-04-16, 03:05 PM
Premium Supporter

Global Okanagan

It looks like Global Okanagan CHBC is applying to convert to digital.
https://services.crtc.gc.ca/pub/inst...PST=A&Lang=eng
I can't open ZIP files right now so I can't say for sure ...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in