OTA NETWORK Status: GlobalTV - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 278 (permalink) Old 2011-11-26, 05:05 PM

I'm located in the Ottawa region. Global has been unavailable to both of my TiVo PVRs this afternoon. It shows up as no signal. All of the other channels are coming in fine. I'm not certain as to what they are doing, but I hope they restore the station soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 278 (permalink) Old 2011-11-30, 08:41 AM

No Global on RF33 in Ottawa?

Just visited the "OTA en francais" forum and it looks as though SRC has applied to use RF33 in Ottawa!

I was really hoping that Global would have applied to use this channel considering the reception difficulties on RF6.
post #78 of 278 (permalink) Old 2011-11-30, 08:51 AM

Is there a link to the CRTC application?

Winegard HD 7084P pointed at Paris and a CM7777

post #79 of 278 (permalink) Old 2011-11-30, 09:04 AM

There is...

https://services.crtc.gc.ca/pub/DocW...ppNo=201115220

Here's a rough translation...

"This application is for a change from channel 9 to channel 33, and an increase in average effective radiated power from 1,800 watts to 282,000 watts (maximum effective radiated power from 3,500 watts to 480,000 watts). The HAAT (I'm pretty sure it's HAAT) has also been recalculated in light of the recalculation of the radiating centre by using more precise topographical values. This will change from 424.9 metres to 397.7 metres. Since the 1st of September, our post-transition CBOFT-DT broadcasts on the VHF band, on channel 9. Since this time, we have noticed a number of viewers who received the channel on its pre-transitional channel 22 are now having difficulties receiving Radio-Canada. The company has received a high number of complaints from viewers in the Ottawa region in this regard."

"Cette demande reflète un changement du canal 9 au canal 33, et une augmentation de la puissance apparente rayonnée moyenne de 1 800 watts à 282 000 watts (puissance apparente rayonnée maximale de 3 500 watts à 480 000 watts). La HEASM a aussi été recalculée en fonction du nouveau centre de radiation et en utilisant des donnés topographiques plus précises. Celle-ci passera de 424,9 mètres à 397,7 mètres.
Depuis le 1er septembre 2011, notre émetteur numérique post-transitoire CBOFT-DT diffuse sur la bande VHF, au canal 9. Depuis ce temps, nous avons remarqué que certains téléspectateurs qui recevaient convenablement le signal au canal 22 en période de transition éprouvent maintenant de la difficulté à obtenir une réception de qualité de Radio-Canada. La Société a reçu un nombre très élevé de plaintes de téléspectateurs de la région d'Ottawa en ce sens."

Last edited by OttawaGuy999; 2011-11-30 at 09:04 AM. Reason: punctuation
post #80 of 278 (permalink) Old 2011-11-30, 09:36 AM

The "funnier" part of this is... SRC Ottawa/Gatineau locks in at 100% all the time at my place and I have a hard time getting Global Ottawa.
post #81 of 278 (permalink) Old 2011-11-30, 09:41 AM

Let's play musical chairs. I guess Global Ottawa could now go to channel 9 at the top of the tower ? SRC's new application mentions a lower tower height.
post #82 of 278 (permalink) Old 2011-11-30, 10:33 AM

Translation from OttawaGuy999
Quote:
The HAAT (I'm pretty sure it's HAAT) has also been recalculated in light of the recalculation of the radiating centre by using more precise topographical values. This will change from 424.9 metres to 397.7 metres.
@flavoie ... I wonder if that lower tower height is only (or in part ?), caused be a revision in the topographical data ?

OTA 2 SBGH (U+V) 15db ampli http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...ec120179f2efb4 FTA 36'Dish+rotor
post #83 of 278 (permalink) Old 2011-11-30, 10:33 AM

Location: OTtAwa (Byward Market); Sony Bravia KDL46SL140; Mini State HDMS9100
Subject to all of the gov't approvals, etc, wouldn't it be simpler for Global to just increase their ERP? Or am I over-simplifying things?
post #84 of 278 (permalink) Old 2011-11-30, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amateur_GH View Post
Translation from OttawaGuy999
@flavoie ... I wonder if that lower tower height is only (or in part ?), caused be a revision in the topographical data ?
I don't know. Ideally they could share the antenna for 30,34,40, i.e. all the other french channels located in the same channel range.
post #85 of 278 (permalink) Old 2011-11-30, 12:56 PM
Premium Supporter

The application explicitly states there are no changes in tower/antenna height, it is all due to a recalculation of HAAT.
post #86 of 278 (permalink) Old 2011-11-30, 01:08 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmchahn View Post
Subject to all of the gov't approvals, etc, wouldn't it be simpler for Global to just increase their ERP? Or am I over-simplifying things?
Perhaps, but Global's exisitng antenna has a very sharp null towards Orleans, and probably would have to be replaced, preferably higher up on the tower. Once they're doing that, they might as well apply for 9, 12, or 50. 9 and probably 12 have the possibility of piggybacking on existing antennas.

There is also the issue of the other 88 MHz FM transmitters. Any capital expenditures required on the FMs to co-exist with a super-power channel 6 would be on Global's dime.
post #87 of 278 (permalink) Old 2011-12-03, 02:42 PM

Off the Air

Okay it seems the first Friday of the month Global Toronto OTA goes off the air around 9 pm and comes back about 11 pm just in time for the news. Any ideas?
post #88 of 278 (permalink) Old 2011-12-03, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvlurker View Post
There is also the issue of the other 88 MHz FM transmitters. Any capital expenditures required on the FMs to co-exist with a super-power channel 6 would be on Global's dime.
Peak power from horizontal and vertical sync on analog would easily exceed the maximum ERP from a more powerful digital transmitter. I don't see any issue here.
post #89 of 278 (permalink) Old 2011-12-03, 06:42 PM

TOTVBuff, I didn't lose CIII channel 41 Toronto between 9pm and 11pm on Friday. Nor have I see any indications in this thread or the Toronto station status thread that anyone else (besides yourself) lost it either?!?

Roof-top mounted Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
post #90 of 278 (permalink) Old 2011-12-04, 10:34 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeMx View Post
Peak power from horizontal and vertical sync on analog would easily exceed the maximum ERP from a more powerful digital transmitter. I don't see any issue here.
George, were Global to stay on channel 6, they would have to use a new antenna without such a sharp null towards Orleans. According to TVFool, the ERP towards Orleans is only 70 Watts.
The null towards Montreal, originally there to protect a 100kW analog stations on channel 6, causes woefully inadequate coverage of Orleans, a highly populated suburban area. To overcome that null would either require going to much higher than 50 kW average, or a new antenna. Either way would require re-engineering of the colocated FM stations. Hopefully Shaw has a deal to use channel 9, which should work fine if the power was increased from 3 kW to something like 20 kW or more, or is willing to pony up to build a high power station on channel 50.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in