OTA NETWORK Status: GlobalTV - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 278 (permalink) Old 2011-09-10, 12:38 AM

@micah
call the option 2 French line, perhaps they won't know you there.

roof mounted 35ft UHF Antennas Direct XG91, VHF Delhi VIP 302SR, RC 6292, Tii Coaxial Lightning Surge Protection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 278 (permalink) Old 2011-09-10, 09:51 PM

Sadly, my French is definitely not good enough to start gaming the system

Winegard HD 7084P pointed at Paris and a CM7777
post #18 of 278 (permalink) Old 2011-09-13, 11:25 AM

I called from Ottawa today and was told that they are at full power and it sucks too bad Well not exactly like that but yeah. (note: I called the number posted and go no menu, someone answered immediately).

So I called CRTC and they said that Global's signal is weak and they can apply for a stronger signal but they have to ask for it and then the CRTC will look at it. So keep calling global to bug them.

One would think that the CRTC mandating digital in certain areas would require a certain percentage of penetration but I guess as long as it is on, it doesn't matter how wimpy it is.

post #19 of 278 (permalink) Old 2011-09-13, 12:20 PM

Posted in more detail before, but just to repeat in brief:

The regulatory scheme for determining channel assignments and power for digital TV is the same as it was for the last years of analog TV. The problem was that some engineering assumptions for VHF, especially low-VHF were not correct for DTV.

At least in the US, the FCC cannot change the scheme without a rulemaking process. In the interim, stations that want to raise power have to submit reports that include some measurements about how far off predictions were and/or an anlysis of where viewer complaints are coming from. Stations also have to prove that they will not create new interference to others or have negotiated agreements with stations they may affect.

If stations can file for more power and show no increased interference under the current regulatory scheme, then the process is much simpler and quicker.

OTA, it's a beauty way to go!
post #20 of 278 (permalink) Old 2011-09-13, 12:48 PM

I got a call back from Global they are looking into it and will call me back.

The guy suggested turning off the FM trap incase it is interfering as he said they broadcast from 82Mhz to 88Mhz although we know we have a strong 88.5 here in Ottawa.

It's worth a try but pretty sure with the trap I had worse signal before.
post #21 of 278 (permalink) Old 2011-09-13, 01:11 PM
Veteran

Dave, in the specific case of Global Ottawa, a little history, which will show why this channel six is worse than most other ch. 6 ATSC disasters:

CII-TV-6 was implemented back in 1974, when few people in Ottawa had UHF reception capabilities. The English market was basically CBC on 4 and CTV on 13, TVO on 24 with some people pulling in the Watertown CBS (and secondary NBC and ABC) affiliate WWNY on 7.

Cable had started in the mid-sixties, and most people who wanted more than 4 and 13 got hooked up to that, which offered Montreal stations, as well as Watertown CBS and PBS and Plattsburg NBC (still, no ABC affiliate until the CRTC permitted microwave delivery of distant signals in the late seventies).

In order to elbow its way into the Ontario TV market without upsetting local affiliates jealous of their local ad revenues, Global came up with the idea of a "regional" stations with no direct local presence, and no local ad sales. Except for Ottawa, not one transmitter was located in a major centre. Sarnia was served from Oil springs, London and Kitchener from Paris, Toronto from Uxbridge, Kingston and Pembroke barely from Bancroft.
(And Windsor was "unserved" by a transmitter in Cottam)

Eastern Ontario (east of Ottawa) was supposed to be served by a high-powered ch. 36 transmitter in the Glengary Highlands at Maxville.
Because that station would rimshot Montreal (and get mandatory cable carriage there) it was not approved.

In order to slip in a channel 6 transmitter to serve Ottawa, channel 6 had severe nulls toward short-spaced CBMT in Montreal and CJOH-TV-6 on Mount Carmel near Deseronto.

(According to TVfool, channel 6 is putting out as little as 70 watts towards now heavily-populated areas such as Orleans.)

That eastern null would have been served by Maxville had it been approved.

Analog reception in Ottawa with rabbit ears was always atrocious, mostly due to FM interference.

(Oh, and did I mention that channel 6 analog started off with 12 kW, not the 50 kw it ended up with?)

In the meantime, the FM band here in Ottawa has completely filled up -- we're even got second adjacents now. I think there are at least two FM stations below 90 MHz that share channel 6's antenna low down on the tower.

Shaw took over Global late in the transition game, so I expect the mandatory stations were all converted with the minimum of changes to existing equipment, so right now we're stuck with a combination of NTSC short-spacing-based equipment and faulty planning parameters.

My best guess is that, should Global do anything, they would apply for temporary permission to increase power (the channel 6 allotment in Montreal is vacant, and CJOH-TV-6, being an analog station, no longer enjoys protection - in any case, those in the interference zone would likely get CJOH-DT.)

In the longer term, I could see them applying for one of the two vacant UHF allotments (33 or 50), but I would bet on the recently freed-up-by-SunTV 33, because perhaps it could be accommodated on the existing TeleQuebec antenna on the Ryan Tower at Camp Fortune already carrying 30, 34, and 40. (The VHF-high allotments on 11 and 12 are both short-spaced.)

As part of Shaw's purchase of Global TV, one of their promised "tangible benefits" was to convert ALL of the Global stations to digital by 2016. I believe they may even have to report annually on their progress, so the public may have more leverage than usual getting this discussed at the CRTC level. (What's the point of serving the countryside from Bancroft if Ottawa residents in a mandatory market can't get Global OTA?)
post #22 of 278 (permalink) Old 2011-09-13, 01:20 PM

Oddly I get channel 2 from bancroft perfectly!
post #23 of 278 (permalink) Old 2011-09-13, 10:16 PM

Location: Ilderton (in the village), Ontario (North of London Ontario)
I am still waiting for an Email Response from Global, asked if they were at full power yet in Paris Ontario. (6.1).
post #24 of 278 (permalink) Old 2011-09-14, 06:01 AM
Veteran

Quote:
It's worth a try but pretty sure with the trap I had worse signal before.
88.5 is very close to 88 MHz, so there's no way you can filter it without having some effect on Ch. 6. With analog signals, the effect would be to reduce the strength of the audio channel and perhaps affect the colour carrier, with some roll off of the higher frequencies of the luminance (brightness or B&W) signal. With digital, the roll off may affect the entire signal.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #25 of 278 (permalink) Old 2011-09-14, 08:27 AM

Global 41-1 reception

update Global returned at about 0930 - [Yesterday at approx 2330, Global appeared to go dark on both my TV's [separate antennas]. It is still out this AM. Rescan did not find it. Our location is highway 48 & Mount Albert road in york region. Does anyone else have this issue or notice that the signal strength reduced in there area? thnx]

Last edited by wbooth; 2011-09-14 at 04:47 PM.
post #26 of 278 (permalink) Old 2011-09-19, 11:41 AM

Just a note for Global Ottawa. The FM trap on the 7777 is required, without it my signal cuts in half. I have contacted an engineer at Global again as I can now catch it I'm not sure yet if they did something or what though. I posted my results in the kanata results thread for those interested.
post #27 of 278 (permalink) Old 2011-09-27, 05:00 AM

Location: Ilderton (in the village), Ontario (North of London Ontario)
Still waiting ...........not sure they care about London.
I am still waiting for an Email Response from Global, asked if they were at full power yet in Paris Ontario. (6.1).
post #28 of 278 (permalink) Old 2011-09-27, 11:02 AM
Veteran

Location: Toronto/Etobicoke - Bloor/Royal York/Queensway/Islington
Jim, I highly encourage you to phone to get the status. Ask to speak to someone in engineering or master control. My experience is that nearly all broadcasters struggle to keep up with the volume of email.

A-D DB4e & CS5, CM 4221 & 7778, TiVo Premiere & Roamio
post #29 of 278 (permalink) Old 2011-09-27, 08:50 PM
Corporate Supporter

Last time I called them I got thru in 5 minutes and they had answers too! Choose the prompt for reception issues.

60' Delhi tower,91XG,Y13-10,DB8,Tin Lee Traps,CM9521A,CM7777,CM7000,Winegard RC-1010 & HDA200,Samsung 32 LCD,2 WTV950Q

Twinntech supports Digital Home
post #30 of 278 (permalink) Old 2011-09-28, 10:08 PM

CIII Channel 6 Paris

I'm experiencing an odd issue with this station on one tuner.

My CM7000Pal DVR intermittently loses the audio and video (goes to black screen), but still reports a carrier. Sometimes re-selecting the station restores it. I also notice a momentary hesitation whenever tuning this station.

The station seems fine on an Emerson monitor, and my Sony Bravia.

Anyone else notice this?

Roof-top mounted Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in