OTA NETWORK Status: TVOntario - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 485 (permalink) Old 2011-12-04, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTANUT View Post
For those of you in Windsor, are you experiencing frequent audio dropouts/blips since they went to HD??? Last night, they were very frequent during the movies. My signal strength was solid, so it wasn't that.....Hmmmm
RE: TVO 32

The interviews between the two films were disrupted by switching back & forth between SD & HD, and at some point they were off the air for a few minutes. When they came back on it was SD for The Cider House Rules, and stayed that way for quite awhile, so I gave up at some point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 485 (permalink) Old 2011-12-05, 12:21 PM

Ken, The Cider House Rules was window boxed here in Ottawa (black bars on the sides and top and bottom) so it was a tiny postage stamp picture in the middle of the screen. I could zoom it with my TV but then the picture quality isn't very good when you do that so I didn't bother watching either.

CM4221HD + CM7777 Preamp
post #78 of 485 (permalink) Old 2011-12-05, 12:53 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
I wish TVO would stop window boxing broadcasts. I know they don't own the rights to broadcast the HD version of all shows, but the proper thing to do with letter boxed SD programs is to first zoom in on the image (removing the black bars on the top and bottom) and then rescale it to HD. Only programs with a 4:3 aspect ratio should be pillar boxed.

Link to my TVFool results is in my profile Homepage URL. I suggest others do the same.

post #79 of 485 (permalink) Old 2011-12-10, 05:33 PM

I tweeted the host of Saturday Night at the Movies several weeks ago about the pillar and letter boxing. His response was TVO shows movies in their proper aspect ratio. I don't think he understands.
post #80 of 485 (permalink) Old 2011-12-11, 04:09 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
This issue extends beyond Saturday Night at the Movies and can be seen on many different programs on TVO. I suspect programs bought before they upgraded their studio to HD, they only own in letter-boxed format. Most newer purchases are bought in a wide-screen format (though I have seen exceptions).

I suspect they don't have the budget to replace all the programs they own. They can't just buy it on Blueray and broadcast from that as they are for personal use only. Also they are too heavily compressed to be used as a broadcasting source since they need to uncompress and then re-compress it.

Link to my TVFool results is in my profile Homepage URL. I suggest others do the same.
post #81 of 485 (permalink) Old 2011-12-12, 03:46 PM

TVO 32-1 Windsor

Have those of you in the Windsor market noticed the audio dropouts are not happening anymore??? I've not watched TVO for prolonged periods, but when I have tuned in, I've not had any audio blips like I was a week ago. Still no EPG though.
post #82 of 485 (permalink) Old 2011-12-12, 06:40 PM

randomusername2, Saturday Night at the Movies (SNAM) has a policy of not modifying movies from their original state. No editing for time, censorship, or modifying the aspect ratio or other variables.

Altering a film from 16:9 ratio to 4:3 is a change that results in loss of some picture. This is why disclaimers for some stations that have done this are presented.

I believe the person whom you contacted understood you perfectly and responded appropriately.

My solution to watching films presented in this state: Zoom your TV settings to fill the screen. Most sets/tuners have this capability. You will lose a small amount of image at the periphery, but for me that is tolerable.

Roof-top mounted Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
post #83 of 485 (permalink) Old 2011-12-13, 09:19 AM
Veteran

Jase88, the only problem with that argument is these movies have been modified, they have been letterboxed. All that is being asked of them is to remove the black bars that were added (or at least partially since most modern North American and UK movies have an aspect ratio wider than 1.78 (16:9), with most using 1.85).

Things get trickier when the movie has an aspect ratio between 1.3 (4:3) and 1.78 (common for old (prior to 1953) and modern European films). Optimally it should be letter boxed on the SD stream and pillar boxed on the HD stream, but that requires using an oddball scaling ratio, so typically one of the two streams ends up getting window boxed.

post #84 of 485 (permalink) Old 2011-12-13, 05:07 PM

Roger1818, I understand what you're saying. But a material change to the movies has not occurred. They've been modified to fit 4:3, but this has been done in a way that hasn't removed any of the image. You're still seeing the full 16:9 picture--albeit shrunk to fit a 4:3 screen.

These prints where formatted this way at time of purchase/acquisition by TVO. Thus they cannot be modified by TVO. To present in true high definition, a new print would need to be acquired.

Roof-top mounted Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
post #85 of 485 (permalink) Old 2011-12-14, 09:21 AM
Veteran

While I understand that the modification was done in a way that hasn't removed any of the original image, what I am proposing wouldn't remove any of the original image either (only black bars). I also agree to get present it in HD an new image needs to be purchased (I even said that earlier); however, I disagree that TVO is impossible for TVO to modify the image. There is equipment out there that will do a centre cut on the image and while the result will be a low resolution image, it is no worse than what they are currently broadcasting

This issue isn't limited to those with HDTVs. Even those of us with 4:3 SD TVs get a window boxed image. Even worse it is letter boxed, pillar boxed and then letter boxed a second time. You can zoom in on the image to make it only letter boxed, but if they removed the black bars, that wouldn't be necessary.

post #86 of 485 (permalink) Old 2011-12-14, 12:17 PM
Rookie

I did a rescan with my DTVPals last Friday and now I have TVO 32.1 with picture and no guide and TVO 33.1 with guide and no picture.
post #87 of 485 (permalink) Old 2011-12-16, 09:21 PM

Jase, roger, my wish for SNAM is they broadcast the movies so that the picture has either pillars or letterbox, not both.

Blowing up the picture at the TV to fit the screen results in a poor picture. Based on what I've seen of SD widescreen broadcasts on other stations I believe upscaling the picture at the station would be an improvement. I have no problem with them broadcasting SD movies but having both pillar and letterbox is like watching a VHS tape.

On a good note TVO has made some changes so that my Samsung now can decode the program details and station id. This had been an issue for several members here.
post #88 of 485 (permalink) Old 2011-12-16, 09:57 PM

TVO assures me that they're working diligently to acquire more "HD" prints. This is a costly process. And they must present prints as they are purchased--no modifications after the fact.

I personally don't have a problem zooming the image on my TV. I have a Sony Bravia, and I find the PQ (in "zoom" mode) to be close to DVD quality. Obviously the larger your TV screen, the more likely you are to observe PQ shortcomings.

post #89 of 485 (permalink) Old 2011-12-21, 10:19 PM
Rookie

Belleville

Noticed TVO Belleville is now on 26.3 (still 480i) and 26.1 is blank. Anyone know what's going on here? Is 1080i coming soon?
post #90 of 485 (permalink) Old 2011-12-27, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniformOscar View Post
Noticed TVO Belleville is now on 26.3 (still 480i) and 26.1 is blank. Anyone know what's going on here? Is 1080i coming soon?
Hi UniformOscar.
My TV and PVR shows TVO Belleville as 26.1. I haven't heard when or if they will be going HD for that transmitter.

Tags
ota , ota antenna , ota hdtv

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in