OTA NETWORK Status: Corus, Zoomer, Pattison, Independents - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 246 (permalink) Old 2011-09-12, 03:55 PM

We know for a fact that CHCH's Hamilton (Stoney Creek) transmitter is fed by fibre? Not doubting this, just want to make sure it's correct.

Fibre is not necessary to facilitate transport of HD signals. Locally to me, both CKCO's (CTV) transmit site in Baden, and I suspect CIII (Global) and TVO in Paris receive via microwave.

Roof-top mounted Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR

Last edited by Jase88; 2011-09-12 at 06:27 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 246 (permalink) Old 2011-09-12, 04:53 PM
Veteran

CHCH's "London" transmitter is actually located near Alvinston, about 40 miles from London. I doubt there is any cable or fibre within miles of the the broadcast site. The person I spoke to at CHCH indicated that they were in negotiations with both Shaw and Bell for a HDTV feed so Bell adding CHCH HD may result in a switch. It will most likely be 720p since that's what Bell uses for all their broadcast HD channels.

There is something else very funky with the CHCH Alvinston signal. MediaPortal does not recognize the signal and the TSReader output appears to be structured differently from other channels. It's like there is some configuration data missing. Other tuners pick it up just fine so it's probably a non-standard configuration that's recognized by most receivers except MediaPortal. It means I won't be watching CHCH much in future.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #33 of 246 (permalink) Old 2011-09-12, 05:57 PM

Stoney Creek fibre STL

Not that anything in CRTC application documents actually represents 100% certainty, but here's the proof.

In file DM#1457928 - 2010-1615-5 - APP - CHCH-DT Brief App 2C.pdf ...
Quote:
4.3 Feed Source

The studio programming feed will be via fibre
(also see page 18 equipment functional figure #5)

And on page 4 in file DM#1456809 - 2010-1615-5 - APP - CHCH -DT-0 App.pdf ...
Quote:
Studio to Transmitter Link (STL) Method: Fibre
Note:
In Global's application, it says STL for Paris is satellite on page 7 in this file: DM#1420742 - 2010-1180-9 - APP - REVISED - APP-Doc2 Form 132 Application Paris.pdf and similarly, it says "4.3 Feed Source: The studio programming feed will be via satellite" on page 6 of this file: DM#1420748 - 2010-1180-9 - APP - REVISED - APP-Doc6 Appendix 2C Engineering Brief Paris pt1.pdf

I know CKCO Kitchener uses microwave (and it is confirmed in their application) since they were already setup with the MW dishes and line of sight.
As for TVO, I can't find a specific application for the Kitchener site (same tower as Global 'Paris') but I think they use satellite, not microwave, for STL.

Also, just because an OTA transmission site is remote, doesn't mean it cannot be connected with fibre. When space on CBC's St. Agatha tower site was leased by the former Look Communications, that company paid Bell Canada to string fibre to the site, down the dirt roads off Erb St. W. in the township. I suspect ever since Rogers bought the CHUM assets, they have run their own fibre to Citytv's "Woodstock" tower site -- formerly would have been an expensive ordeal since it's on a dirt road in Sweaburg.

post #34 of 246 (permalink) Old 2011-09-12, 06:27 PM

Thanks, mr.eous. I actually recall reading that application. The minutiae of applications tends to get lost the more of them I read! ;-)

I took a ride by the Paris site yesterday, and didn't see fibre or dishes. But it would make sense that satellite is used. The microwave could have been for radio off that tower.

My understanding is that LOOK was owned by Bell (in whole or part). So it makes sense that they did the fibre.

Roof-top mounted Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
post #35 of 246 (permalink) Old 2011-09-12, 06:51 PM
Veteran

sun tv

When is sun 15.1 hamilton going off?

91XG (47'), YA-1713 (42'), CPA-19, DB4e (37'); Denon AVR-1312
post #36 of 246 (permalink) Old 2011-09-12, 07:13 PM

goforit

Oct 31 2011

LONSat
post #37 of 246 (permalink) Old 2011-09-12, 08:39 PM
BCF

Thanks mr.eous for letting us know that Bell satellite added CHCH HD to their lineup today.

Thanks to ScaryBob for updating the information I provided last week that CHCH are negotiating with Shaw and Bell for a HD feed.
Perhaps CHCH-DT-2 London & CHCH-DT-1 Ottawa might be upgraded to OTA HD channels (either at 720p or 1080i) sooner, rather than the end of 2012. That would be great for OTA viewers!
post #38 of 246 (permalink) Old 2011-09-13, 12:46 AM
Veteran

TVO is reported to use an OTA relay system for its signals. Toronto -> Paris -> London -> Chatham -> Windsor. Needless to say, the Windsor signal will be unreliable, especially with unsettled atmospheric conditions. The London link has failed a number of times and I've seen dropouts and reception artifacts in the London signal on a number of occasions. Last I heard, the links to Chatham and Windsor were not yet working. The fall back is to their former 480i feed.

It would be expensive to run fibre to the Alvinston site and CHCH is the only station on the tower so costs would not be shared. Alvinston looks like it's serviced by Cogeco, not Rogers, so it's unlikely to be near a Rogers fibre backbone. Don't know how Cogeco feeds their Alvinston head end but it might not be fibre either. In comparison, the Byron tower in London is used by several stations and it is less remote. I've got to wonder if the digital transition was even considered when network repeaters were placed in remote locations like Alvinston and Oil Springs.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #39 of 246 (permalink) Old 2011-09-13, 08:56 AM

Improved CHCH Reception??

For the last few days I have been receiving a stronger CHCH signal.
Right now it is 18dB SNR, and tropo looks to be none right now. (nothing showing from Hamilton to Mississauga/Brampton area: http://aprs.mountainlake.k12.mn.us/#

Anyone else notice this?

Smart shoppers always read the fine print.
post #40 of 246 (permalink) Old 2011-09-13, 09:25 AM

I've been getting it at 5/5 bars lately, whereas it is usually at 4/5 bars on my television.
post #41 of 246 (permalink) Old 2011-09-13, 10:11 AM
Veteran

Quote:
I somehow doubt it's dark fibre dedicated just to them (very costly) and likely some sort of leased link from a telecom provider.
Actually, that's quite possible. Many companies get dark fibre these days. A few years ago, I was working on a system for a company with two locations in Thornbury Ont. They had fibre connecting the two sites, about a couple of Km apart, from the phone company, to connect a 100 Mb LAN. Of course, once the signal hits a telco, there are plenty of ways to multiplex it with other customers to share a fibre, if they have to go significant distance. I also worked on another job, where the phone company ran in fibre to connect 3 buildings to support a 1 Gb LAN. Also, telco and cable companies have fibre throughout their areas. They'll usually run more than they need, as installation costs much more that the cable. This means fibre will be available for other uses and there are also other companies that have run fibre, such as the local power company or one company I recall that offered to clean out sewers, in exchange for the right to run fibre through them.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #42 of 246 (permalink) Old 2011-09-13, 11:58 AM
Rookie

Digital_Frank
I've tried rabbit ears in the living room here and had a lock for the first time after the transition. No picture though. I wonder, if this justifies the effort of trying to play with the rabbit ears in the attic.
post #43 of 246 (permalink) Old 2011-09-18, 08:23 PM

CHCH OTA vs Bell

Still having BELL SAT I just again appreciated the difference between HD (Bell) and SD (OTA) on the CHCH channel. What is holding CHCH back? I am sure they could get an interim agreement with Bell, setup dishes at their transmitters and just relay the Bell Video for the OTA.
post #44 of 246 (permalink) Old 2011-09-29, 04:30 PM

I called CHCH today to inquire about the status of PSIP guide data (currently there's mostly none). The receptionist was surprised that I wasn't asking about reception of their OTA signal. "Oh, you're not wondering why you can't receive the signal? That's a different question".

Apparently CHCH has received a lot of calls about loss of signal!

I left a voicemail for the technical person responsible for OTA. Hopefully I hear back with positive news....

post #45 of 246 (permalink) Old 2011-10-02, 11:44 AM

CHCH, why wide screen when it is SD

Hi everyone. Does anyone know since the transition why CHCH (51) is the only channel that goes to widescreen when it is still SD. My Samsung is set to auto and no other channel does it. I have to manually set the tv to 4:3. Is it something in the signal information ? Thank you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in