OTA NETWORK Status: Corus, Zoomer, Pattison, Independents - Page 16 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #226 of 246 (permalink) Old 2012-08-14, 03:49 AM
Veteran

Location: Dunnville, Ontario on the Grand River, North shore Lake Erie
Are 'Independent free OTA networks' in Canada easy prey?

The 15RF application was dated November 2011. The approval was dated early March 2012. How long can CHCH's 15RF allotment remain dormant?

My guess is that the delaying issue is likely 'BELL' related.

There is definately something in the wind! Can't say what,.. 'MUM' is the current comment status,.. but there is something in the wind and I wish CHCH would make some effort to make their intentions public.

They read this forum and are aware of the comments made here,.. yet they can not post any replies onto an open forum.

They have their own open forum for feedback & questions, but they seem to be reluctant to respond to the viewer comments and questions made there either. http://www.chch.com/index.php/home/i...channel-change

Or you can phone or send an email to their feedback:
Quote:
CHCH TV - Viewer Feedback
E-mail: [email protected]
Telephone: 905-522-1101 ext. 2386
I 'know' that OTA is far from being CHCH's highest priority!

OK,... here's my rant,.. not a political rant, it's just a sad fact that happens when big corps are allowed to become too powerful in a marketplace. Independent broadcasters and free OTA broadcasts are being oppressed due to certain corporate friends of the CRTC maintaining an oligopoly in Canada's television broadcast industry. Sadly the CRTC apparently now condones monopolies. An oligopoly is a consortium of a group of monopolies that can exert significant control over most or all of a market. The retail gas market is a good example of an oligopoly because a small number of monopolizing firms can form a silent consortium to control the entire market. In this case it's a consortium that has the controlling power over media/communications in Canada. Sad,... but true!

Canada's big 3 corps that now have the clout of an oligopoly,... Bell, Rogers, Shaw

3D SSH III with ZZ4 refl. http://imageshack.us/user/jmsdigital
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #227 of 246 (permalink) Old 2012-08-14, 04:53 AM

I'm not sure where you're getting this conspiracy stuff from.

There is little or nothing Bell could do to block the move to RF 15. The application has been approved, and CHCH already owns the tower and broadcast infrastructure.

Other applications for a channel change in Canada have likewise taken some time to effect once CRTC approval was obtained.

CRTC approval isn't the final step in getting a station fired up. Testing must occur, equipment must be procured, and a broadcast certificate must be issued by IC. These steps take time.

Quote:
Canada's big 3 corps that now have the clout of an oligopoly,... Bell, Rogers, Shaw
CHCH (and it's owner, Channel Zero) aren't part of these companies. And they have the oversight and protection of the CRTC. So I don't see your point here..?

Some may not like the influence or presence of Bell, Rogers or Shaw in the conventional TV business. But the reality is that we need these companies involved in conventional television, as they have the money necessary to support the stations: From infrastructure such as digital transmitters, to programming.

Roof-top mounted Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
post #228 of 246 (permalink) Old 2012-08-14, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ota_canuck View Post
The retail gas market is a good example of an oligopoly because a small number of monopolizing firms can form a silent consortium to control the entire market.
The retail gas industry isn't regulated like conventional TV is. So I fail to see how they compare?

Roof-top mounted Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR

post #229 of 246 (permalink) Old 2012-08-15, 04:24 PM
Veteran

The delay in CHCH moving to RF15 is the FCC. They haven't approved it yet, and may not due to WBNF, a Class A station that gets protection from Interference.
post #230 of 246 (permalink) Old 2012-08-15, 05:04 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ota_canuck View Post
The 15RF application was dated November 2011. The approval was dated early March 2012. How long can CHCH's 15RF allotment remain dormant?
One would have to look at the license, but typically they are given about 2 years to use their license and can apply for extensions beyond that. During the transition, we saw stations take 4 or 5 years from approval to going on air. In general 6 months is considered very fast for a station to go on air after receiving approval since the equipment required can't be bought off the shelf but must be customized for their specific parameters. If they received approval in March, I would be surprised if they went on air before September.

Link to my TVFool results is in my profile Homepage URL. I suggest others do the same.
post #231 of 246 (permalink) Old 2012-08-15, 05:05 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewdc View Post
The delay in CHCH moving to RF15 is the FCC. They haven't approved it yet, and may not due to WBNF, a Class A station that gets protection from Interference.
Where did you hear this? The post transition agreement between IC and the FCC allowed an ERP of 493 kW at an EHAAT of 338 m on channel 15 from Hamilton so the FCC can't complain about only 132 kW at 335 m.

Link to my TVFool results is in my profile Homepage URL. I suggest others do the same.
post #232 of 246 (permalink) Old 2012-08-15, 06:12 PM
Veteran

Location: Toronto/Etobicoke - Bloor/Royal York/Queensway/Islington
Quote:
.. typically they are given about 2 years to use their license and can apply for extensions beyond that.
And remember as the CRTC pointed out in the CBC / TVO cases, a license is an authorization to broadcast, NOT an obligation to broadcast. CHCH has essentially no time pressure to fire up the RF 15 transmitter and remain on RF 11. To my knowledge, none of the other broadcasters that wanted to move from VHF to UHF post-transition have completed their work either.

A-D DB4e & CS5, CM 4221 & 7778, TiVo Premiere & Roamio
post #233 of 246 (permalink) Old 2012-08-15, 09:16 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gran Chico View Post
To my knowledge, none of the other broadcasters that wanted to move from VHF to UHF post-transition have completed their work either.
I gather CBOFT in Ottawa is planning to make the change in November. I seem to remember they got approval in March or April to give you an idea of the timeframe. I know everyone is anxious but these things take time. Remember good thing come to those who wait.

post #234 of 246 (permalink) Old 2012-08-25, 01:45 PM

CHCH Channel Assignment

You have to wonder if channel 15 is still the best option for CHCH, given the fact that CBC, SRC and TVO have abandoned analog and don't intend to activate replacement digital transmitters. Channel 15 is a bad assignment, hobbled by the contour protected 'community' station serving Buffalo.

The overall Industry Canada digital frequency plan allowed for all existing analogue allocations, not just operating stations, to get a digital channel. The frequency plan together with the actions of CBC, SRC and TVO, results in all kinds of smaller and even medium sized locations having channel assignments that are not likely to be used in the foreseeable future, if ever. CHCH should work with Industry Canada to move a clear UHF channel into Hamilton that is not compromised by an existing Canadian or US station. Alternatively, they could stick with channel 15, find a new allocation for the Buffalo station and pay for the cost of the channel change.

I believe that moving from high VHF to a compromised UHF channel is a bad move for CHCH and they are wise to delay the change. A directional pattern to protect Kingston and Rochester coupled with much higher power on channel 11 could achieve better results than the current channel 15 plan. CTV put 45 kilowatts into the directional pattern on channel 10 from London which seems to work for the Kitchener area.

With more power, a small high VHF antenna would work in many locations and allow for VHF/UHF combining rather than two UHF antennas pointing in different directions. Combining UHF antennas pointing in different directions has a technical penalty as the antenna pointing in the 'wrong' direction for a given channel increases the potential for interference from co-channel stations during periods of high tropospheric activity. There may also be multipath and signal to noise consequences particularly if separate pre-amps are used.
post #235 of 246 (permalink) Old 2012-08-26, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeMx View Post
CHCH should work with Industry Canada to move a clear UHF channel into Hamilton that is not compromised by an existing Canadian or US station.
Maybe RF 21 or 46?
post #236 of 246 (permalink) Old 2012-08-26, 05:47 PM
Veteran

Or back to UHF 18RF?

post #237 of 246 (permalink) Old 2012-08-26, 09:56 PM
Veteran

18 is in use in London by TVO.

DB8E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 8way split LG lcd.
post #238 of 246 (permalink) Old 2012-08-26, 11:02 PM
Veteran

Location: Toronto/Etobicoke - Bloor/Royal York/Queensway/Islington
There were interventions filed to GeorgeMx's point. I agree as well. I'm betting the RF 15 will get about as many complaints the underpowered RF 11 did last year.

A-D DB4e & CS5, CM 4221 & 7778, TiVo Premiere & Roamio
post #239 of 246 (permalink) Old 2012-08-27, 02:38 AM

I'm getting CHCH on RF 42. First time for this. Tropo? Isn't 42 supposed to be for the new CTV2?

*UPDATE*
That capture was around 1:00am. As of now the signal is gone.

Mayhem Creations-"The Art Of Emotional Creation"
sites.google.com/site/maycreates/Home -for viewing all my DIY projects
post #240 of 246 (permalink) Old 2012-08-27, 03:03 AM
Veteran

Very strange event
CHCH does not broadcast or have any repeaters that use 42RF or 42psip.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in