OTA NETWORK Status: CBC/SRC DTV - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 538 (permalink) Old 2011-09-17, 08:40 AM

"JamesK ^^^^
I've noticed the CBC news appears to look softer. "

I totally agree with you that it looks softer and that softness is the loss of the razor sharp image quality that they used to have, it's like watching tv on some value brand HDTV not your high end Sony, that you have, oh well i just hope that the CBC keeps airing Hockey Night In Canada! Cause they way things are going around there who knows....

Stacked Hacked CM 4221HD's, Delhi 10Y12S VHF, CM 7777 pre-amp, CM rotor, 50 foot tower, Sony 40" LCD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 538 (permalink) Old 2011-09-17, 08:51 AM

Same deal here in Windsor on CBET 9-1. Kids programming is in 16:9 HD, while the remainder of the day is in 4:3 SD. Makes no sense to me why they would discontinue HD during normal programming. What's going on CBC????
post #63 of 538 (permalink) Old 2011-09-17, 09:13 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by phannon View Post
I have noticed a few others note this problem, could we see how widespread this is, my local OTA station is CBNT-DT ch 8.1 in St. John's. I do not know if it is also a problem if the broadcast is on cable. The signal is 1280 x 720, but programming is 4 x 3 SD. The local news was 16 x 9 (and appeared to be HD) for the first 10 days or so now SD.
The local CBC station for Regina (CBKT-DT) 9.1 is the same. The broadcasts in the morning (children shows) are 16:9, but all other programming drops down to a cropped 4:3 picture. The signal remains as 1280X720p, just the added bonus of black pillars on each side of the screen.

post #64 of 538 (permalink) Old 2011-09-17, 09:26 AM
Veteran

CBC picture quality

What concerns me the most was the report of bit rate at only 5mps which will really make for a poor quality picture during hockey.

Attic CM 4248 at Buffalo,M4 at Buffalo.VHF yagis at Toronto .
post #65 of 538 (permalink) Old 2011-09-17, 11:51 AM

I've been watching CBET in Windsor since the 4:3 aspect issue came about and agree it is annoying. Like was mentioned, the kids shows this morning in 16:9 and the network rate is over 15Mbps. So I hope things improve with the regular programming and certainly in time for hockey season.
post #66 of 538 (permalink) Old 2011-09-17, 12:19 PM

Just as a follow up on previous post, the current broadcast (2011 Sports Day in Canada) is 4:3 aspect but the network rate is 15 Mbps.
post #67 of 538 (permalink) Old 2011-09-17, 12:55 PM

CBC HD to SD update:

The CBC broadcast changed from 16 x 9 HD to 4 x 3 SD sometime just before 11:30AM NL time (not on the half hour). The remaining hour and a half or so of the children's programming was 4 x 3. I am not sure if these programs were older and natively SD 4 x 3 or if the transmission just switched (I was not watching that closely....reading Digital forum!). Since that time all is in 4 x 3 SD including the present "Sports Day In Canada" broadcast.

The local private station, NTV HD is 1080 and local programming is mostly HD, with some of the remaining programming HD and the rest windowboxed SD, but I assume when they buy programming for the coming season there will be more HD. I can cut the private station some slack, they are trying....but the CBC as the national carrier screwing up something that is a no-brainer...dump SD go HD

Strangely enough, I always noticed virtually every CBC program used to say available in HD...I cannot remember seeing it recently, now that we have HD transmissions!!! Then again, I rarely leave CBC on now as it is SD and I would rather have a HD signal on....

P. E. Hannon
post #68 of 538 (permalink) Old 2011-09-17, 02:13 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob50312 View Post
What concerns me the most was the report of bit rate at only 5mps which will really make for a poor quality picture during hockey.
I recorded a program on CBLT earlier this week - bitrate was 15mbps. Higher than anyone else uses for 720p.
post #69 of 538 (permalink) Old 2011-09-17, 06:17 PM

I was just watching Saturday report on CBC. It is definitely in crappy SD (4 x 3)...but some of the news clips with non CBC captions had the captions cut off by the pillarbox bars! What are they doing? Upconverting video to widescreen then cropping it to fit 4 x 3 in SD?

Since the transmission suddenly switched to 4 x 3 SD this morning from HD could CBC be switching some sort of transmission system at a predetermined time? This would still not explain why the local newscasts have gone from 16 x 9 HD to 4 x 3 SD, but maybe the "national" transmissions....I am totally baffled by this corporation......they must be trying to get people to switch to cable because the CBC OTA signal now looks so bad as compared to other OTA broadcasters.

P. E. Hannon
post #70 of 538 (permalink) Old 2011-09-17, 09:18 PM

Same here

Windsor the same, the first few days was HD and now nothing in HD.
post #71 of 538 (permalink) Old 2011-09-17, 10:15 PM
Rookie

CBKT (Regina) HD/SD

To make things even more ridiculous (the 4:3 and theoretical 16:9 signal, that is) ...

I live in Moose Jaw and can receive an analogue signal from one of the Regina repeater stations (CBKT-1 channel 4) The analogue signal is a 4:3 image with black bars all around it within the 4:3 picture. So anyone with a standard definition TV isn't even able to get a picture that fills the screen. Now imagine a letter boxed cropped 4:3 image on a hi-def wide screen TV and the result is an image that only fills about one third of the screen.

photo of analogue signal (black bars within black bars)...

photo of digital signal (black bars all around a 16:9 image)...

I can't get the CBC digital French station reliably, but I do know the repeater station (CBKFT-10 channel 16 - analogue) appears to have a similar problem.

And finally, the SD signal that Bell Satellite uses on channel 247 (I assume coming from CBC directly somehow) appears to be formatted properly, and fills the screen the way it should.

Maybe, the CBC is testing us to see if anyone notices or complains about the problem to justify not converting all stations to digital.
post #72 of 538 (permalink) Old 2011-09-17, 10:47 PM

Anyone notice that CBC 5.1 Toronto has been missing program information for a few days now?
post #73 of 538 (permalink) Old 2011-09-18, 08:28 AM

Guys, not observing 4:3 programming here in the Ottawa / Gatineau area, it was still 16:9 programming all day yesterday, last night and still today. Don't assume it's the entire country.

Schmerpy, it looks like after they converted to 720p they forgot to turn the PSIP EPG back on.
post #74 of 538 (permalink) Old 2011-09-18, 09:59 AM

Forgot?

Where does this industry find its engineers?!

I am an engineer and I would not have a job very long if I operated like this.
post #75 of 538 (permalink) Old 2011-09-18, 10:05 AM

wow man, dial it back a notch -- we have no idea whats going on behind the scenes. Furthermore, consider yourself lucky you event get CBC in digital!

Winegard HD 7084P pointed at Paris and a CM7777

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in