WBBZ Buffalo MeTV channel 7 Status - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 705 (permalink) Old 2010-05-22, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Exclamation WBBZ Buffalo MeTV channel 7 Status

Just noticed WNGS-DT came on air today, on VHF CH 7.
So far it has three 480i channels, 67.1 and 67.2 are Daystar,
and 67.3 is colorbars with a test tone up.

Edit:
I'm in the intended coverage area, southtowns of Buffalo.
88% Quality, 24 dB C/N in TsReader

Looks like they met that one.

Quote:
Under the sale agreement, Daystar must now get the station back on the air by June 12, because the FCC won’t allow a station to be “dark” for more than a year or it can lose its license.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 705 (permalink) Old 2010-05-22, 06:51 PM

Hmmm. I can't grab channel 7 here in Kitchener--my C5 must not have enough gain. Or is the station up and down? What does it's strength look like?

Roof-top mounted Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
post #3 of 705 (permalink) Old 2010-05-22, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom View Post
Just noticed WNGS-DT came on air today, on VHF CH 7.
So far it has three 480i channels, 67.1 and 67.2 are Daystar,
and 67.3 is colorbars with a test tone up.

Looks like they met that one.
Hi:

Good catch! Just curious, where are you located? I tried with my mini-state and saw just a blip and it was gone.

P.S. Nothing on my attic SBGH gen1 either.

P.S.2 When did you notice it?

P.S.3 I just had a blip on attic sgbh, then gone.

P.S.4 just saw another one on sbgh. It just comes then goes.

P.S.5 a couple of blips on mini-state just now. About a couple of minutes between them.

P.S.6 another on mini-state. That one stayed for a couple of secs, then gone. I know it's just stray rf but I can't resist. Another blip for 4 secs. Anybody else?

post #4 of 705 (permalink) Old 2010-05-22, 07:18 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the SBGH and Mini-states aren't designed for longer-range VHF, right?

Still nothing for me. And conditions from Buffalo are great right now (on UHF)....

Roof-top mounted Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
post #5 of 705 (permalink) Old 2010-05-22, 07:28 PM
Veteran

What do you mean exactly by blip? A few seconds?. Also did it map?
post #6 of 705 (permalink) Old 2010-05-22, 07:30 PM

It could be they're doing some low power testing of the transmitter....
Being so close, it would be easily picked up by majortom.

I've got a clean VHF band right now, very good conditions on all Buffalo area UHF stations (49.1 & 51.1 are a little weak, but present). So it must be low power or a contour that's not favourable in my direction or both.

post #7 of 705 (permalink) Old 2010-05-22, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase88 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the SBGH and Mini-states aren't designed for longer-range VHF, right?

Still nothing for me. And conditions from Buffalo are great right now (on UHF)....
mini-state is vhf-uhf. Not great but I used to get wkbw-7 analog semi-decent, watchable in the old days.

SBGH gen1 is supposed to be uhf only. But actually works ok on vhf if it's strong enough.

What's happening is that atmospherics are such that i'm getting stray rf energy for just long enough to give me a blip on the meter. Nothing steady though.

P.S.1 no psip map. You would need a steady signal for that. What you should do is just keep the meter up and usually within say 10 minutes you'll see the a quick blip of from 1 to a fews seconds then gone.
post #8 of 705 (permalink) Old 2010-05-22, 07:32 PM

Your tuner can detect signal, but not enough to map the channels, correct?

post #9 of 705 (permalink) Old 2010-05-22, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Your tuner can detect signal, but not enough to map the channels, correct?
correct. But it's not steady. Like right now i'm at zero signal. waiting for the next blip. try it.

P.S. maybe if they're doing low power for now they'll up it. Just had a 6 second blip. As it becomes dark I might be lucky enough to see something steady. Hopefully.
post #10 of 705 (permalink) Old 2010-05-22, 07:42 PM

My Sony Bravia tuner doesn't work that way. I've got to get a lock on the station and grab the PSIP data and channel mapping before I can tune. Simply watching on analog isn't productive either, as you can't see an 8VSB carrier--just snow. And there's no signal meter for analog.

post #11 of 705 (permalink) Old 2010-05-22, 07:46 PM

Quote:
My Sony Bravia tuner doesn't work that way. I've got to get a lock on the station and grab the PSIP data and channel mapping before I can tune. Simply watching on analog isn't productive either, as you can't see an 8VSB carrier--just snow. And there's no signal meter for analog.
I got an Artec CECB. It has a meter and I'm able to tune by rf freq.
post #12 of 705 (permalink) Old 2010-05-22, 07:48 PM

I see.
Well, the "blip" could be anything--even transient RF from a far distant station.

post #13 of 705 (permalink) Old 2010-05-22, 07:49 PM

majortom: Is the station broadcasting continuously? Or is it up and down?!

post #14 of 705 (permalink) Old 2010-05-22, 07:51 PM

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9fbe3a5ef62369

New TVFool results have two listings of WNGS, one at 1edge at 10.5 dB, and one LOS at 16.3 dB.

Will the 4221HD have any problem with this?

I have no way of seeing as I killed the VHF coming into my 7778, but will re-enable once I fix everything.

They could just be testing on and off.
post #15 of 705 (permalink) Old 2010-05-22, 07:56 PM

Quote:
I see.
Well, the "blip" could be anything--even transient RF from a far distant station.
Actually for the last few days I was doing some monitoring of rf7 thinking that they could come online at any time. I didn't see any blips at all. The thing is that when you bring up the meter it only stays onscreen for 30 secs then you have to press the button again. I'm sure I would have seen at least the odd blip if that was the case but didn't. The blips i'm seeing now i'm sure are from wngs.

p.s. I should clarify that between blips i'm at zero signal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in