WBBZ Buffalo MeTV channel 7 Status - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 705 (permalink) Old 2010-05-24, 07:29 PM

Rens: Check the Kitchener/Waterloo and area thread. Toronto CFTO 9, Kitchener CKCO 13, Hamilton CHCH 11, Barrie CKVR 10, London CKVR 10 and of course channel 7 Clarence Center/Buffalo are available post transition in our area.

Roof-top mounted Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 705 (permalink) Old 2010-05-24, 07:48 PM

I just ran a re-scan tonight after swapping antenna to my 4228HD unhacked (aside from bending balun harness back away from whiskers, and found WNGS on channel 7, re-mapped to 67.1, 67.2, 67.3. Religious programming at the moment. My TV only shows signal strength as Poor/Normal/Good/Excellent. This channel is locking in at 'Normal' at the moment.

Jase, thanks for the info. Not fully understanding this whole transition issue, I was thinking those existing high VHF channels might be reassigned to some UHF freq. after transition.
post #78 of 705 (permalink) Old 2010-05-24, 07:54 PM

renns: Just to confirm: you're getting channel 7 on a 4228HD in Ayr? Wow...good stuff. They must have made an adjustment to ERP...

Roof-top mounted Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR

post #79 of 705 (permalink) Old 2010-05-24, 08:08 PM

Reception of channel 7 could just be good conditions...as all of the other Buffalo and area stations are booming in right now, including ION and WNYO.

post #80 of 705 (permalink) Old 2010-05-24, 08:23 PM

Jase,

Yep, 4228HD+Winegard HDP269 pre-amp on a tripod on the roof. WNGS is strange - 67.1 is fine, 67.2 is the same broadcast as 67.1, but with bad audio/video sync problems. 67.3 looks to be a test pattern of sorts, with video from the 67.1 bleeding through in sections.

What's odd about reception, is that about 6pm we could get nothing from Buffalo on the hacked 4221-style clone. I spent a bit of time on the roof re-mounting the 4228HD after converting it back to the stock balun. Now, when testing, all of Buffalo is coming in very strong, except ION. Also, for the first time I was able to lock CBC on 20 (virtual 5.1). I have trees obstructing my view of CN tower, and I've never been able to get even a hint of it before. Testing this OTA stuff is frustrating, as signal levels seem to change quite quickly making it hard to definitively evaluate new configurations.
post #81 of 705 (permalink) Old 2010-05-24, 08:35 PM

Yeah, I noticed the out-of-sync audio on the 67.2 sub-channel as well.

post #82 of 705 (permalink) Old 2010-05-24, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
For myself, I'm not so much concerned with the programming. This station firing up is of more interest to me with regards to testing out my VHF antennas. I simply see it as a means of gettings ready for the digital conversion, which will see many stations in my area going to VHF.
Jase88,
Not to mention, the thrill of the chase, hehe.
Good to hear ya found it today

The 67.2 looks like a web cam with streaming video& audio
post #83 of 705 (permalink) Old 2010-05-24, 09:33 PM

I see subtle noise bars in the video on both channels as well. Almost like they're pulling the video from an analog source...

post #84 of 705 (permalink) Old 2010-05-24, 09:43 PM
Veteran

Location: Dunnville, Ontario on the Grand River, North shore Lake Erie
I was never able to get their analog signal from Springville. I'm speculating that to get the distances they now seem to have,.. they are using the old WKBW 7RF tower/antenna as a repeater to rebroadcast the weaker Springville analog signal. [this would explain the tvfool duplicate listing] They probably have to meet a contour requirement to keep their licence alive.

3D SSH III with ZZ4 refl. http://imageshack.us/user/jmsdigital
post #85 of 705 (permalink) Old 2010-05-24, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

unless someone stumbles on a related fcc filing for a new transmitter site by the new owners, I'm guessin the present transmitter location is it for now.

The new owner's comment in the news article regarding a facility in Clarence, NY may just be related to their planned studio facilities. I didn't take his comments in the news article as meaning they were actually gonna build a new transmitter site.

Not so sure merely moving it 7 miles NE to the next hill, on WKBW's tower would help in and of itself. i.e. if it was at the same 66m rad center, that other hill is nearly the same Ground elevation, so ya still may not have the overall HAAT needed to hit TO, the horseshoe, etc. reliably.
post #86 of 705 (permalink) Old 2010-05-24, 09:57 PM

The station is now unwatchable for me...looks like we just had some good conditions for a few hours...

post #87 of 705 (permalink) Old 2010-05-24, 10:00 PM
Veteran

Location: Dunnville, Ontario on the Grand River, North shore Lake Erie
I'm not sure [due to bankruptcy etc] that the Springville antenna would not still be the same 67RF analog antenna.

Hey, you're not too far from there. Take a drive over to Springville and see what's up on that tower ,.. '67RF analog' or '7RF digital'

3D SSH III with ZZ4 refl. http://imageshack.us/user/jmsdigital
post #88 of 705 (permalink) Old 2010-05-24, 10:07 PM

Quote:
The station is now unwatchable for me...looks like we just had some good conditions for a few hours...
Gone for me as well. I did have Ion grabbed during the latest scan, but no lock when I just checked it. That one is pretty rare for me.
post #89 of 705 (permalink) Old 2010-05-24, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
I'm not sure [due to bankruptcy etc] that the Springville antenna would not still be the same 67RF analog antenna.
Hey, you're not too far from there. Take a drive over to Springville and see what's up on that tower ,.. '67RF analog' or '7RF digital'

It's obviously a new antenna. If the old Analog was CH 67 UHF (791 Mhz), and the new is CH 7 VHF (177Mhz).
Therefore can't possibly be the same antenna.

hehe, yeah actually thought about it, just to eyeball it, I know where it is.
If it was on the way to the indian reservation, it'd be an easy excuse.
Maybe someday I'll make a day of it, try and hit all of them around here to take some pictures for all of you guys.

Edit: Stampeder, what I meant when I said their site is painfully slow.
below was after an atttempt to create a new thread on tvfool about their multiple erroneous entries for wngs-dt
Quote:
Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.
Please push the back button and reload the previous window.
ughh, oh well, I did try...
post #90 of 705 (permalink) Old 2010-05-25, 08:46 AM
Veteran

Some new information

Per FYBush.com

Quote:
in keeping with some of the deals Daystar has done in other markets, it will retain the rights (for 10 years after the sale closes) to broadcast its own religious programming over one of WNGS' digital subchannels.
So 67.1 will carry WNGS main programming, 67.2 will be Daystar.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in