OTA Station Status: Buffalo, Rochester NY - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 1639 (permalink) Old 2011-02-02, 06:51 PM
Veteran

WKBW

What do you guys make of this? I've mentioned this issue before, in various threads. Basically there's like a narrow swath of roughly 15-20 degrees Azimuth where WKBW (UHF 38) will degrade below 15 dB C/N and lose lock. Not a big deal, since I can just rotate out of it. But, of course it just so happens that like for half of that is where CBLT and CHCH are optimal. Rotate the other way, and u'll lose one or the other. I'd say 90% of the time ya can find a sweet spot where everybody's happy.

Couple Spectrum Analyser screenshots of WKBW when it's degraded, and another when it's not. See how it loses that familiar flat ATSC "mask", degrading to an upward slope, and the pilot sinks below the upper end of the spectrum?
Flattens right up once rotated to restore C/N. The adjacent signal is WIVB (UHF 39)obviously. Sidenote, WKBW and WIVB XMTRs are nearly co-located, a mile or two apart, on the same hill.
What do ya think that is?
I'm inclined to think multipath, since it's a relatively narrow swath where it degrades.

WKBW Toast:

WKBW Solid:

\/\/\/\/ - All rock solid here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 1639 (permalink) Old 2011-02-02, 07:40 PM
Veteran

WUTV Out

WUTV is out- no signal. WNYO is fine- locked in, even ION is flickin.

91XG (47'), YA-1713 (42'), CPA-19, DB4e (37'); Denon AVR-1312
post #48 of 1639 (permalink) Old 2011-02-02, 07:54 PM
Corporate Supporter

Yes they always drop out of HD for those scrolling bars.

60' Delhi tower,91XG,Y13-10,DB8,Tin Lee Traps,CM9521A,CM7777,CM7000,Winegard RC-1010 & HDA200,Samsung 32 LCD,2 WTV950Q

Twinntech supports Digital Home

post #49 of 1639 (permalink) Old 2011-02-02, 08:01 PM
Corporate Supporter

ION 51 is back up here

60' Delhi tower,91XG,Y13-10,DB8,Tin Lee Traps,CM9521A,CM7777,CM7000,Winegard RC-1010 & HDA200,Samsung 32 LCD,2 WTV950Q

Twinntech supports Digital Home
post #50 of 1639 (permalink) Old 2011-02-02, 09:03 PM
Veteran

I thought ION was down, but wasn't totally sure, since I never lose reception from them, even in the winter.
post #51 of 1639 (permalink) Old 2011-02-03, 09:42 AM
Rookie

Fact is in order to keep the closings up constantly during programming and particularly commercials the active video must be squeezed so as not to cover any commercial content which would allow advertisers to demand a make-good (airing the commercial again for free). Prime time programming is largely HD these days but because of the proportional squeeze it gets a bit smaller. If there is 4:3 content it becomes even smaller yet. If some of the content is letterboxed by design, it gets even wierder. Apparent aspect ratio is all over the place depending on the source even though the ultimate output is 16:9 in DTV.
post #52 of 1639 (permalink) Old 2011-02-03, 10:03 AM
HWP

Ahh. That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation. Not a technical limitation, but a commercial limitation. Thank the good folks a Lipton for bringing you "V" in miniataure 16:9.

OTA, Winegard HD7679 UHF&VHF-high Antenna, CM7778 pre-amp
CM Rotator, CM3218 Splitter, TiVo Premier, HDHomeRun
post #53 of 1639 (permalink) Old 2011-02-03, 09:38 PM
Veteran

WIVB-Problems

In the last few evenings have noticed some static sound and jitter motion during primetime.Its not a reception problem but something on their end.Signal at steady 100%.Just enough to annoy me little and watch another channel instead.

Attic CM 4248 at Buffalo,M4 at Buffalo.VHF yagis at Toronto .
post #54 of 1639 (permalink) Old 2011-02-04, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob50312 View Post
noticed some static sound and jitter motion during primetime.
I watched WIVB between 8 and 9 last night and did not notice any problems.
post #55 of 1639 (permalink) Old 2011-02-04, 10:24 PM

I had jittery video on WIVB tonight depending on what ATSC receiver I was using.
post #56 of 1639 (permalink) Old 2011-02-05, 11:46 AM
Veteran

Just noticed 26.3 WNYB-SD3, just started broadcasting it's Program guide info
in it's EIT/ETT... So, now WNGS is back to being the only Buffalo station not sending this information over the air.
Sent Zap2it a note, see if we can nudge 'em to get their database updated to reflect WNYB correctly now.
post #57 of 1639 (permalink) Old 2011-02-07, 10:55 AM

WKBW - Buffalo Airport connection?

While I get a solid signal in all seasons for WKBW and on 2 of my 3 ATSC tuners there is no problem with WKBW, but on the tuner in the DTVPal DVR anything I record has a clipping of the sound every 60 or 90 seconds. There is no audio clipping if watching live. Obviously there is something so subtle that only the HDD as it is recording is affected. Others have noticed this same strange effect with WKBW on this machine. I wonder if the CM7000PAL has this issue also since its the same machine?

I often think it is something physical (and was more of a problem with an analogue signal) such as airplane interference. That could still be an issue on digital since a large physical object getting in front of a broadcast tower for only a split second would likely have at least a momentary effect I'm sure. That's why your machine picked it up and my DVR picked it up?

Maybe the broadcast tower of WKBW may be close to (south of?) the Buffalo airport and would explain the regular audio clipping (takeoffs and landings).
post #58 of 1639 (permalink) Old 2011-02-07, 12:03 PM
Veteran

Location: Toronto/Etobicoke - Bloor/Royal York/Queensway/Islington
MonopolyBuster, I've written about this anomaly in the DTVpal DVR thread. A few others have written about it too. WKBW's tower isn't close to BUF airport. Actually, it's fairly close to both the WIVB and WGRZ towers and I've never seen this phenomena occur on either of those channels. I'm pretty sure I tested recording something in the middle of the night and it still happens fairly regularly (not sure aircraft takes off/lands every 90 seconds at 2:00am )

I've owned 7 different ATSC tuners and the one in the DTVpal DVR is the only one that is sensitive to whatever is happening.

A-D DB4e & CS5, CM 4221 & 7778, TiVo Premiere & Roamio
post #59 of 1639 (permalink) Old 2011-02-07, 06:48 PM
Rookie

You've just got me starting to wonder if it's anything to do with the falls mist.
post #60 of 1639 (permalink) Old 2011-02-07, 07:23 PM
Veteran

If your near an airport at the receive end, Pearson Airport between you and WKBW possibly? Drive by the radar site sometime and count how long it takes for it to sweep a complete circle. Does that jive with ur observation?

How bout any windmills nearby, between you and the transmitter?
I can't imagine either getting in to the audio circuits of anything directly, but what do I know. I could
imagine a marginal signal degrading further briefly as it sweeps, enough for the mpeg audio to take a hit, and not the video.
But ur saying u can't notice anything watching live? Kinda rules out the rf path and the broadcaster then. Strange...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in