CHCH, CHEK, Corus, Pattison, Independents: DTV Transition Status (closed) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 440 (permalink) Old 2010-09-01, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Location: OTtAwa (Byward Market); Sony Bravia KDL46SL140; Mini State HDMS9100
CHCH, CHEK, Corus, Pattison, Independents: DTV Transition Status (closed)

I didn't see a submission from Channel Zero (CHCH) in the zip file unless I overlooked it. But I assume they'll be operational by Aug 31, 2011.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 440 (permalink) Old 2010-09-01, 02:40 PM

Quote:
I didn't see a submission from Channel Zero (CHCH) in the zip file unless I overlooked it. But I assume they'll be operational by Aug 31, 2011.
If you click on "Comments" instead of "Related documents" you'll get to a page that has Channel Zero's submission. From their submission:

Quote:
CHCH-TV operates three transmitters in the following mandatory markets; Hamilton, Ottawa, and London. The CHCH-TV transmitters serving Ottawa and London will be converted to digital before the August 2011 transition date. Similarly, the Montreal transmission facilities for CJNT-TV will also be converted.
post #3 of 440 (permalink) Old 2010-09-05, 01:38 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Reading over the plans for some of the non-network owned broadcasters here is some interesting findings:

Channel Zero plans to transition all of their transmitters in mandatory markets (no additional details provided on that). They expect to keep all five of CHCH's transmitters outside of mandatory markets broadcasting in analog, including CHCH -TV-3 (Muskoka) which is out of band on channel 67 and relocate it within 2-51 (they are waiting for the results of an engineering study before making a final decision). I am not sure if the CRTC will let them relocate without transitioning to digital. It is also possible that the engineering study may show that there is a minimal cost difference between relocating to an analog or digital broadcast in which case they may change their mind.

Corus Entertainment plans to remain on analog everywhere, except CKWS-TV-1 (Brighton) where they are out of band on 66. There they plan to install a DTV transmitter on channel 30 by Sept 1, 2011. Since CKWS-TV (Kingston) will still be analog, the repeater will likely be SD for now (a guess on my part). My guess is the cost difference between relocating in analog or digital is small, so there is no point wasting money on equipment that will likely need to be replaced.

CTS
will transition in all cities by Aug 31, 2011. They plan to revert to 36 in Hamilton, move to 42 in Ottawa, remain on 14 in London and 32 in Calgary (PT allocation was 27) and move to 30 in Edmonton (different from their analog, transitional and PT allocations). All of this will be done by Aug. 31, 2011.

CHEK seems to have messed up their tracking spreadsheet (they say that 6 is not only their NTSC channel, but is also their transitional DT allotment and their PT allotment, which it is neither of and they didn't put anything in the PT operational column) but it looks like they plan on staying on channel 6 in Victoria, presumably because migrating to UHF would be too expensive. They also plan on shutting down their Campbell River repeater but there is no mention of their other transmitters, so I assume they will remain in analog.

Newcap will transition both of their stations in Lloydminster to DTV. CITL-TV will remain on channel 4 and CKSA-TV will move to channel 13 (both of which are their PT allotments).

NTV will remain analog everywhere except St. John's, where they will transition to DTV on channel 21 (from analog 6).

post #4 of 440 (permalink) Old 2010-09-05, 02:00 PM

So the CHCH that we get here in Ottawa would remain analog for a while. I was hoping they would take over Sun TV's antenna considering they are taking over much of the Sun programming. It sure would be nice to get those shows in HD again starting this fall. It doesn't look like it.
post #5 of 440 (permalink) Old 2010-09-05, 11:47 PM

I remember reading at some point in the forum that Corus was going to transition both CKWS & CHEX to digital. Am I mistaken, or has their been a change in their policy?
post #6 of 440 (permalink) Old 2010-09-05, 11:58 PM
Premium Supporter

Might have been here.
That's my summary of documents submitted to the CRTC relating to Canadians TV companies' expectations when it comes to their digital transition. It includes Corus.
post #7 of 440 (permalink) Old 2010-09-07, 11:49 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
In the thread downbeat linked to, it says:

Quote:
it is our expectation that we would apply to convert CKWS-TV Kingston and CHEX-TV Peterborough to digital high-definition (HD) transmission during the 2011/2012 broadcast year.
(emphases added by me)

So they will not be broadcasting in DTV by Aug 31, 2011.
post #8 of 440 (permalink) Old 2010-09-07, 11:56 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyTown View Post
I was hoping they would take over Sun TV's antenna considering they are taking over much of the Sun programming.
That was likely wishful thinking. The thing is although they got the same programs that SunTV was previously broadcasting, they didn't get them directly from SunTV but instead took advantage of the fact that SunTV decided not to renew the contracts for them.

OTOH, these filings were made prior to SunTV announcing that they plan to become a cable news channel, so anything is possible. Personally, I think it more likely for the equipment to go to TVO, but that is just a guess on my part as I don't even know if SunTV even owns it or if it is just leased.
post #9 of 440 (permalink) Old 2010-09-12, 06:14 PM

CHEK-TV

Anyone know what CHEK-TV's plans are for DTV? I hear they plan on being HD OTA before the Aug 31 deadline. Will they still transmit from Saturna Island? Are they moving to their UHF allotment or are they flash-cutting channel 6?
post #10 of 440 (permalink) Old 2010-09-12, 06:18 PM

I sent an email to CHEK a few days ago after they said they'd be OTA DTV sooner than the dead line my email asked if they were going to be able to cover the lower mainland with the DT tramsmisson?. so far no reply I better follow up this week. I will post any reply.
post #11 of 440 (permalink) Old 2010-09-13, 01:07 AM

Chek-TV

Purely an educated guess, but as a relatively new employee-owned station, I'd imagine they'd be especially cautious with any significant investment right now (approx $1M to set up the new transmitter according to a CBC radio segment on their delays). Hopefully I'm wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised if they pushed the August deadline limit.

Yours truly,
Fred in Saanich.
post #12 of 440 (permalink) Old 2010-09-13, 05:29 PM

CHEK Article

Interesting article about CHEK 6 going digital.

http://www.tvb.ca/pages/independent+...n+deadline_htm

From the article:

John Pollard, station manager at independent station CHEK TV in Victoria, B.C., told The Wire Report that the station will probably be broadcasting in digital well before the Aug. 31, 2011 deadline.

Pollard said engineers are now working out a plan for the station, which they intend to have in place by the end of the year.

"With any luck we'll be ahead of [the deadline] next August," Pollard said.

Although some broadcasters are spending $1 million per market to install new, digital transmitters and equipment, Pollard estimated that CHEK will change its transmitter for less than $500,000.
post #13 of 440 (permalink) Old 2010-09-13, 07:12 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

And one other gem from that article:
Quote:
Pollard said that CHEK has only one transmitter to change, adding that the station also plans to shift its over-the-air signal to HD when it goes digital.
Nice to see that.

post #14 of 440 (permalink) Old 2010-09-13, 07:36 PM

Chek Tv digital I spoke to engeenering and they as two came in on the call said that they plan to be able to send the digital signal as far as Abotsford with the DTV transmission Cool
post #15 of 440 (permalink) Old 2010-09-13, 07:41 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Great - did they comment on what channel they expect to be on? I for one would be really irritated if they stay on 6.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in