OTA Station Status: Calgary, Edmonton, and Alberta - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 732 (permalink) Old 2010-05-26, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Question OTA Station Status: Calgary, Edmonton, and Alberta

Has anyone been checking Channel 41 for CICT-DT's possible increased signal level yet? I think that in the next week or so, some activity may occurr. According to my previous conversation with Global, the final peices of the jigsaw were to have come together at the Harvard mast. ???
I'm still here in Mexico!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 732 (permalink) Old 2010-05-26, 11:02 AM
Veteran

Nothing with the CICT signal seems to have changed yet.
post #3 of 732 (permalink) Old 2010-05-28, 12:34 PM
Premium Supporter

Citytv (CKAL) applies for DTV

Full application documents here:
http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2010/2010-319.htm#8

Quote:
Application by Rogers Broadcasting Limited (Rogers) to amend the broadcasting licence for the television programming undertaking CKAL-TV Calgary by adding a digital transmitter.
The new digital transmitter would operate from the existing CKAL-TV tower on channel 49 with an effective radiated power of 100,000 watts (with an average effective height of antenna above average terrain of 378 metres).
That's actually a mistake — they would be moving from the CBC tower to the Harvard tower. The application documents say so.

Last edited by downbeat; 2010-05-28 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Added CRTC error

post #4 of 732 (permalink) Old 2010-05-28, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Great news - though not entirely unexpected! Sounds like CityTV will be vacating the present CBC mast with their channel 5 transmitter come August next year! I wonder if the Omni channel will also come up with a DTV application soon for operation at the Harvard mast?
post #5 of 732 (permalink) Old 2010-05-31, 01:29 AM
Premium Supporter

Citytv CKAL comparative contours

FYI, here is a snapshot of a map showing the contours of CKAL on analog VHF 5 and the contours of CKAL-PT on digital UHF 49.

Image is from Rogers' DTV application for CKAL.
post #6 of 732 (permalink) Old 2010-06-02, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

CBRT-DT - pre and post transitional channels?

After sending my question:-

Quote:
Reading your correspondence concerning the relinquishing of the CBRT transitional frequency (channel 49) for use by another broadcaster, I would like to ask if this signifies that CBRT will switch "flash cut" to the existing Channel 9 high band frequency next year or whether it is the intention of CBC to utilize an alternative transitional frequency to facilitate the changeover prior to the final analog switch-off date as mandated by the CRTC?
Received this response from the CBC:-

Quote:
........in short we will have a transtion channel before we go to another post-transition channel. I cannot give you more details at this point since all this has to be approved by Industry Canada and the CRTC.
I didn't think that the CRTC was approving any more transition channels? i.e. all applications have to refer to post-transitional frequencies.
post #7 of 732 (permalink) Old 2010-06-02, 10:33 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billsmith View Post
I didn't think that the CRTC was approving any more transition channels? i.e. all applications have to refer to post-transitional frequencies.
Where did you hear that? I could see the CRTC wanting broadcasters to describe their plans post transition, but find it strange that they would not allow any more transitional broadcasts. Having said that, I can't imagine any station wanting to spend money on a transitional broadcast now if they are going to change channels in a little over a year.
post #8 of 732 (permalink) Old 2010-06-02, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

roger1818 - I thought that I had read it on this site. I agree that it seems strange that a broadcaster would want to do anything different other than the post transition application due to both limited time and additional costs.

I have responded to the CBC's answer with exactly that question as applied to CBRT. I can't believe that they do not have plans in place and under way for Calgary supposedly the next city on their list for DTV.
post #9 of 732 (permalink) Old 2010-06-02, 11:24 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billsmith View Post
I can't believe that they do not have plans in place and under way for Calgary supposedly the next city on their list for DTV.
I always expected Calgary to be next on the list (followed by Edmonton). I am surprised it has taken this long, but I think they ran out of money.
post #10 of 732 (permalink) Old 2010-06-02, 01:16 PM
Premium Supporter

On DTV licences from the CRTC: There might be a misunderstanding here. The CRTC no longer issues separate licences for transitional DTV operations. Rather, they add transitional DTV stations to existing licences for analog stations. However, I've read nothing about the CRTC denying TV stations the opportunity to apply for transitional channels.

On CBRT going digital: If CBC audience relations is now saying a channel change is coming for CBRT, then that's news. As I've previously reported, they'd written in 2009 to say they were likely staying on VHF 9. A channel change for CBC is technically plausible. There are plenty of high-power UHF allocations available in this region.
post #11 of 732 (permalink) Old 2010-06-02, 01:29 PM
Premium Supporter

As a side note …

… in my correspondence with CBC Audience Relations last year, I suggested they should consider swapping channels with Radio-Canada.
After August 2011, VHF 9 is allocated for CBRT (CBC) while UHF 16 is allocated for CBRFT (Radio-Canada).
It would be cool if they took this to heart and are actually going to do this.
It also might explain this line in their e-mail to billsmith in Post #819:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBC
… In short we will have a transtion channel before we go to another post-transition channel.
Pure speculation on my part. But's it's fun to imagine.
post #12 of 732 (permalink) Old 2010-06-02, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Yes - Downbeat - I remember your suggestion from the earlier post. I believe that I would support that change! Maybe we can suggest it to someone in CBC. Ofcourse any OTA SRC viewers living in Calgary may need to acquire a VHF High antenna - though there is the question of CIAN-DT hanging also!

Aside from this I wonder if the three networks are prepared to trade transmitters and other equipment?
I would have thought that this is an obvious need!
post #13 of 732 (permalink) Old 2010-06-02, 02:32 PM
Premium Supporter

Dug up the old e-mail from CBC regarding DTV in Calgary. Note this sentence, relating to whether CBC was staying on Channel 9:
Quote:
A final decision has not yet been made on this issue.
So anything's possible.
post #14 of 732 (permalink) Old 2010-06-02, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

There is a third TV broadcast client looking at signing up for use of the Harvard tower. This could be CBC/SRC or Omni so there are still possibilities for UHF allocations among them!
post #15 of 732 (permalink) Old 2010-06-02, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

CBRT-DT

CBC response:-

Quote:
No it won't be a flash cut, that's the only answer I can provide you at this point in time.
We may need to use various processes of logical deduction and many subtle observations in order to arrive at all of the answers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in