OTA Station Status: Calgary, Edmonton, and Alberta - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 732 (permalink) Old 2010-06-19, 10:38 AM
OTA Forum Moderator

If that intervention is not online yet it will be at some point. Interventions aren't necessarily negative, and apparently this one was not considered directly applicable to the issue at hand.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 732 (permalink) Old 2010-06-20, 02:57 AM

Hello Hello everyone.
As for Omni in Calgary, there already is infrastructure up at the Harvard site ready and waiting. They have a Rohde & Schwarz transmitter for CKAL-DT, then 3 racks for equipment and enough space for the second transmitter (Omni) to go on the right side of those racks.
It truly is a beautiful install.
I believe the work done by the fellow from Rogers (I won't give his name out because I don't know him personally) is a bar that has been set very high.
As for Global Calgary... it's coming... more sooner than later, that's all I can say.
post #33 of 732 (permalink) Old 2010-06-20, 03:42 AM
Premium Supporter

I've noticed bright, new marker lights flashing on the Harvard tower since Thursday, I think.
I hope that's a sign of good things to come.

post #34 of 732 (permalink) Old 2010-06-23, 10:19 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by downbeat View Post
Well, that took no time at all. The CRTC has approved CFCN's application to move to Channel 29 with a max ERP of 220 kW @ 206 metres.
http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2010/2010-390.htm
I find the last paragraph very interesting:

Quote:
6. The transmitter must be operational at the earliest possible date and in any event no later than 31 August 2011, unless otherwise authorized by the Commission.
CTVgm applied for a post-transition amendment, but it looks like the CRTC wants them to make the changes sooner than that.
post #35 of 732 (permalink) Old 2010-06-23, 12:56 PM
Premium Supporter

CFCN DTV

That's just boilerplate CRTC-speak.
And besides, there is no reason for CFCN to take an exceptionally long time for this.
They've already got a UHF aerial at the top of their mast. All they need to do is swap out their transitional, low-power transmitter for the high-power one and they're all set to go.
(They might even have had one on order already, although I can't say for sure.)
I'm patiently standing by, ready to re-tune from 36 to 29.
P.S. Global (CICT) and Citytv (CKAL) will quite likely be using their final DTV technical parameters far ahead of the transition deadline.
post #36 of 732 (permalink) Old 2010-06-23, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

CTV - CFCN-DT - still waiting to hear of the changeover dates - I've not heard anything so far. But I imagine that they may keep both transmitters and use the low power one (100 Watts) as a standby retuned for channel 29. Then it's a case of simply changing from one to the other via the combiner. AFAIK they have a 10Kwatt unit on order but I don't know the brand yet? CICT-DT switch-on is very soon now! CityTV are still awaiting CRTC approval but are all setup with their post-transitional arrangement with their 5Kw Rohde & Schwarz transmitter. Anyone heard about CBC/SRC??
post #37 of 732 (permalink) Old 2010-06-28, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

CICT-DT - Full power?

Has anyone been looking for the CICT-DT at full power yet. It was supposed to be turned on any time towards the end of this month?

Still in the Gulf of Mexico stuck without transport!
post #38 of 732 (permalink) Old 2010-06-28, 01:10 PM
Premium Supporter

No apparent change on CICT-DT 41 for me at this point …
post #39 of 732 (permalink) Old 2010-06-28, 04:28 PM

no here either,still getting a great picture!! mind you only 2.3 kilometers away..lol
post #40 of 732 (permalink) Old 2010-06-28, 10:44 PM

No change here at about 28 km away
post #41 of 732 (permalink) Old 2010-06-29, 02:47 PM
Premium Supporter

So … what's up with the delay for CICT at the Harvard tower site anyway? Anyone know what's causing it?
post #42 of 732 (permalink) Old 2010-06-29, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

CICT-DT update!

It seems that Global engineering is not quite happy with the transmitter setup as regards the tuning. They have it operating into it's dummy load and it is undergoing final adjustment and testing! They have elected to do this in place of putting on the air and coming back to perform the work later.

The system is expected to be fully on the air in the next week or two pending further testing and tuning adjustments.

It will be on the air with regular programming once the work is complete!
post #43 of 732 (permalink) Old 2010-07-05, 01:28 AM

CISA-DT Lethbridge AB

I am proud to say that my hometown of Lethbridge Alberta has been approved to "amend the licence of the English-language conventional television undertaking CISA-TV... in order to add a digital transmitter".

Furthermore:
"The transmitter would operate on [the current] channel 7 with an average effective radiated power 10,100 watts (maximum effective radiated power of 19,700 watts with an effective height of antenna above average terrain of 201.4 meters).
The transmitter must be operational at the earliest possible date and in any event no later than 31 August 2011 unless otherwise authorized by the Commission."

Application 2010-0767-5

It's not much but it makes me happy to see a smaller market with digital transmitter.

Last edited by Mike FM; 2010-07-05 at 01:30 AM. Reason: gramatical error
post #44 of 732 (permalink) Old 2010-07-05, 03:53 AM
Premium Supporter

Good news, Mike FM! Thanks for sharing.
I can't find this decision on the CRTC website … Where did you hear about this?
post #45 of 732 (permalink) Old 2010-07-05, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Good News Mike FM - good for Lethbridge! I didn't see this on the CRTC website either.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in