Global Network DTV Transition Status (closed) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 447 (permalink) Old 2010-08-12, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
BCF

Global Network DTV Transition Status (closed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
Correct and they that is what they are planning on doing. My comment was in response to forum members who are complaining that they aren't upgrading all of their transmitters province wide.
I was trying to find the list of 6 transmitters Global will be upgrading, but I haven't been able to locate it.
Can you provide the list of which 6 transmitters Global tv will be upgraded?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 447 (permalink) Old 2010-08-12, 02:23 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF View Post
I was trying to find the list of 6 transmitters Global will be upgrading, but I haven't been able to locate it.
I wasn't aware that Global had announced which transmitters they will be upgrading. They have already upgraded transmitters in Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton (4 out of the 11 stations owned by Global TV, all of which are in mandatory markets). If there are only two others, I am not sure which ones they would be.
post #3 of 447 (permalink) Old 2010-08-13, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
BCF

There has been no announcement by Global so far, and the 6 Globaltv transmitters I referred to in the first post of this thread, is actually the 6 mandatory TVO transmitters that will be converted to OTA DTV.

Last edited by stampeder; 2010-08-14 at 02:13 AM.

post #4 of 447 (permalink) Old 2010-08-13, 04:01 PM

Well Global is just announced Winnipeg. (aug 13)

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2010/2010-576.htm

"2. CKND-DT will operate on channel 40 with an average effective radiated power (ERP) of 14,900 watts (maximum ERP of 25,100 watts with an effective height of antenna above average terrain of 131.2 metres). The Commission notes that this transmitter will operate on a channel that is different than the one allotted in the Department of Industry’s (the Department) DTV Allotment Plan."

OTA: DB8 + Y5 2-6 + CM777. FTA: 30W + 72W + 87W + 97W
post #5 of 447 (permalink) Old 2010-08-13, 04:06 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
You can find the list of mandatory markets for transition to DTV in the OTA FAQ & Knowledge Base. In Ontario those markets are:
  • Kitchener
  • London
  • Thunder Bay
  • Toronto, including:
    • Barrie
    • Hamilton
  • Windsor
  • plus Ottawa (listed separately from the others under the National Capital Region)
Of those, Global only has a station in Toronto, plus an affiliate in Thunder Bay. They have repeaters that serve the other markets, but it is unknown if they will upgrade those or just shut them down.
post #6 of 447 (permalink) Old 2010-08-13, 04:23 PM

Assuming the new assignments in the Industry Canada database (see http://www.user.dccnet.com/jonleblan...ations/DT.html) indicate applications in the works, Global will convert their transmitters in Ottawa, Stevenson (which covers Windsor) and Paris (which covers Kitchener and London).
post #7 of 447 (permalink) Old 2010-08-13, 04:39 PM

I've been reviewing Shaw's application to acquire Canwest and it looks like they have a fairly aggressive plan to transition most of Canwest's transmitters to digital in the non-mandatory markets. That includes the numerous low-powered that Canwest originally planned to shutdown on the deadline. The only transmitters it looks like they aren't going to transition is Fort Erie, which will be served by CIII-41.

Quote:
b) Please indicate which transmitters (call-sign, city and province), outside
mandatory markets that Shaw is proposing to convert to digital operation and the
associated dates (commencement of digital transmission and discontinuation of
analog transmission).”

Response:
Shaw proposes to convert all or the vast majority of transmitters outside of
mandatory markets to digital operation as its effective tangible benefits or
contribution in lieu of benefits. One possible exception to this plan concerns the
Fort Erie transmitter, which Shaw understands Canwest currently plans to reach
with the digital signal planned for Toronto.

As noted in the response to Question 7a), above, Shaw remains in an arms-length
relationship with Canwest until Court approval of the CCAA Plan and required
regulatory approvals of the proposed change of ownership and control. As a
result, Shaw is relying on the information with respect to non-mandatory market
transmitters provided by Canwest and set out in Canwest’s submission to the
Commission pursuant to Broadcasting Notice of Consultation CRTC 2010-169,
filed on May 6, 2010. Table A and Table B included in that submission list the
transmitters in non-mandatory markets that Shaw proposes to convert to digital by
a target date of August 31, 2011.

d) If the Commission were to consider this proposal appropriate, please indicate how
many transmitters would be converted as a result.
Response:

If the Commission accepts Shaw’s proposal, based on available information up to
66 additional digital transmitters will be constructed, serving a significant number
of communities that will not otherwise be served with over-the-air digital
transmissions by Canwest. Those communities are identified in Canwest’s
submission to the CRTC pursuant to Broadcasting Notice of Consultation CRTC
2010-169 as set out in Table A and Table B. Shaw notes that Canwest’s current
plans are to serve Fort Erie, a non-mandatory market, with a digital signal
originating in Toronto. As a result, the construction of a digital transmission
facility in Fort Erie will not be necessary.
http://www.crtc.gc.ca/public/broad/a...010-0550-5.zip
Look for "DOCS-#1396250-v1-2010-0550-5_-_DefRep4_-_réponse_de_la_requérante_applicant_s_response_-_Shaw_Response_to_CRTC_May_19_(Public).PDF"

Last edited by Emarsee; 2010-08-13 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Barrie?
post #8 of 447 (permalink) Old 2010-08-13, 06:14 PM
Veteran

Can the Toronto station adequately serve Fort Erie, which means broadcast into Buffalo too?
post #9 of 447 (permalink) Old 2010-08-17, 01:30 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emarsee View Post
it looks like they have a fairly aggressive plan to transition most of Canwest's transmitters to digital in the non-mandatory markets. That includes the numerous low-powered that Canwest originally planned to shutdown on the deadline. The only transmitters it looks like they aren't going to transition is Fort Erie, which will be served by CIII-41.
Certainly interesting and very aggressive. If it comes to fruition, GlobalTV would likely have way more DTV transmitters than any other network in Canada. The plan may be to embarrass the other networks.

From the same document, I find it intersting that they don't plan to have CJBN-TV and the stations owned by Corus become GlobalTV affiliates.

Quote:
CJBN-TV, Kenora is an affiliate of CTV. There is no plan for CJBN-TV to become
an affiliate of Global Television following the approval of the current application.
While CJBN-TV currently licences a limited amount of Canwest programming and
may continue to do so, in accordance with the demands of its audiences, no new or
particular “programming synergies” are foreseeable as a result of the current
transaction.

In addition, no programming synergies will be realized as between the Canwest
services acquired by Shaw and any Corus services. Corus is a separately traded and
separately managed and operated public company. There is no plan to integrate
Corus and Canwest services.
and

Quote:
Shaw intends to enter into negotiations with CTV to renew the current CJBN-TV
affiliate agreement that will expire on August 31, 2010.
It will be interesting to see if CTV will be willing to renew this agreement.
post #10 of 447 (permalink) Old 2010-08-18, 01:39 PM
Premium Supporter

@Emarsee: I hope Shaw is sincere in its plans.
If this turns out to be real, I hope other broadcasters will adopt this aggressive stance on DTV conversion.
post #11 of 447 (permalink) Old 2010-08-23, 05:38 PM

Yes! I noticed Global is now AU. CJOH (CTV) is still AP in Ottawa. I'm glad about Global as there was talk they may not transmit in Ottawa. That still may be true, but at least they are approved now should they want to go DTV OTA.
post #12 of 447 (permalink) Old 2010-08-23, 09:23 PM

Is it possible that Global was approved a long time ago and the CRTC archived the application? I thought that I read on here a while ago that Global and CJOH both applied for the DTV license.
post #13 of 447 (permalink) Old 2010-08-24, 12:10 AM
Veteran

Not really (I have seen applications from over 10 years ago on their website). You are correct and CJOH's post transition plan was recently approved, but we haven't heard a word about Global in Ottawa (we don't even know if they will be transitioning and if they will use their allocated channel (6)).
post #14 of 447 (permalink) Old 2010-08-27, 09:16 AM
Veteran

That is actually very scary. It means that a bunch of applications have been approved without any public consultation. I was actually planning on intervening against Global's Ottawa repeater primarily because they will be remaining on channel 6, which has proven to be very problematic (the analog signal is very difficult to receive well and experience in the USA has shown that VHF-LO is even worse for DTV). Now it looks like that won't be possible.
post #15 of 447 (permalink) Old 2010-08-27, 02:38 PM

Oh when you put it that way I guess it's not good. So they cannot change their frequency at this point? I pick up channel 6 pretty good, but it's not as strong as 13-CTV. If digital makes it even weaker than it would be bad.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in