Global Network DTV Transition Status (closed) - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 447 (permalink) Old 2010-09-24, 05:59 PM

Quote:
The only market I think Global should really have a local affiliate (that it doesn't have one in) is Ottawa. All others are small and would most likely loose money, so it wouldn't be economically feasible for them to open shop in a small city like London.
There is no reason a market the size of London should not be able to support second and third television stations. The population of London and all the surrounding counties is about 980,000 - more than each of the entire provinces of Saskatchewan and Nova Scotia, and a lot more than the population of Newfoundland and Labrador. And yet local television in those three provinces is a lot more abundant than in the London area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 447 (permalink) Old 2010-10-04, 03:19 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
As argilo said in the Track The Daily Status of Canada's DTV Stations During the Transition forum, Canwest Global's application for a post-transitional Digital Television transmitter for CIII-DT-6 in Ottawa has now been published on the CRTC's website. After looking it over, here are some things I noticed.
  • They will remain on channel 6.
  • The EHAAT has increased (from 257.3 m to 261.3 n) due to a recalculation of HAATs, not a change in antenna height. The ERP has been reduced from the value in IC's post transition plan (from 3.5 kW to 3.3 kW) as a result however.
  • They will "flash cut" at the end of Transition.
  • They share an antenna with two FM radio stations (CHUO-FM and CILV-FM).
  • The existing 2-bay, 4-panel with Circular polarization (likely due to being shared with FM stations) will be used.
  • The shape of the analog and digital contours are surprisingly different considering the same antenna is used.
  • There will supposedly be a 2% increase in population when comparing the NLBC to Analog B contours to try and better match the Digital Urban and Analog A contour populations.

I have serious doubts as to how realistic these contours are in actual practice. On top of all my usual concerns about using VHF-LO, they are doing an apples and oranges comparison by changing the HAAT used without actually changing the antenna height.

Link to my TVFool results is in my profile Homepage URL. I suggest others do the same.

Last edited by roger1818; 2010-10-04 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Forgot the most obvious comment of them staying on channel 6.
post #63 of 447 (permalink) Old 2010-10-04, 05:14 PM

What does it mean they will flash-cut at end of transition? Did they decide on a date?

post #64 of 447 (permalink) Old 2010-10-04, 05:25 PM
Veteran

"Flash cut at the end of transition" means they will flash cut on August 31, 2011.
post #65 of 447 (permalink) Old 2010-10-04, 05:45 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvlurker View Post
"Flash cut at the end of transition" means they will flash cut on August 31, 2011.
Exactly. To make things especially clear they say, "Since the proposed operation will not operate during Transition, no analysis is required relative to Transition DTV allotments." Now I can't imagine they would have any effect on any Transition DTV allotments, but that is beside the point.

Link to my TVFool results is in my profile Homepage URL. I suggest others do the same.
post #66 of 447 (permalink) Old 2010-10-04, 05:59 PM

Wow it's an awfully long time. It's amazing how some networks are digital now. Congrats to those networks who took the initiative to get on with it.
post #67 of 447 (permalink) Old 2010-10-05, 01:00 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
Exactly. To make things especially clear they say, "Since the proposed operation will not operate during Transition, no analysis is required relative to Transition DTV allotments." Now I can't imagine they would have any effect on any Transition DTV allotments, but that is beside the point.
If they were going to operate during the transition period, then, should the application exceed the parameters in the transitional allotment plan, they have to analyse the effect on both analog stations and digital transitional stations. (Channel 6 is their post-transtional allotment. The trnsitional allotment for Global in Ottawa was channel 12.)
A station can elect to transition to digital only BEFORE August 31 2011, but in that case, they would have to analyse the impact of operating on a post-transitional allotment before the transition. For example, the impact of channel 6 DTV Ottawa on channel 6 analog in Montreal may be different than the (already analyzed) impact of DTV channel 6 Ottawa on the post-transitional channel 6 DTV allotment in Montreal.

I'm not saying they would have had an impact, but by virtue of the fact that it was not in the either the pre- or post-transtional allotment plans, the applicant would be responsible for the analysis. (Just because you already know the answer does not mean you don't have to prove it.)
post #68 of 447 (permalink) Old 2010-10-06, 02:38 PM

CHAN

CHAN-TV will stay on UHF, post August 31, 2011. CRTC has approved application to increase ERP to 40 KW.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2010/2010-738.htm

Quote:
The new transmitter would operate on channel 22 with an average effective radiated power (ERP) of 22,000 watts (maximum ERP of 40,000 watts with an effective height of antenna above average terrain of 656 metres).

Last edited by stampeder; 2010-10-06 at 05:15 PM. Reason: split to thread covering Global's transition
post #69 of 447 (permalink) Old 2010-10-06, 02:53 PM
Veteran

Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2010-738 approves Global BC's (CHAN-TV) post-transitional digital transmitter on channel 22.

One thing that I don't get though is in response to an intervention by ZoomerMedia Limited that this transmitter would interfere with their planned digital rebroadcasting transmitter CHNU-DT-1 Victoria, Canwest "argued that its own use of channel 8 would result in significanlty reduced coverage compared to the use of channel 22," yet Canwest plans on using channel 6 (which is even worse than channel 8) for Global Toronto (CIII-TV) repeaters in both Paris and Ottawa.

post #70 of 447 (permalink) Old 2010-10-06, 02:59 PM
Veteran

It wasn't just channel 8, it was channel 8 with just a few hundred watts.
post #71 of 447 (permalink) Old 2010-10-06, 03:45 PM

CHAN DT 22.1 new transmitter I am curious where that will be located or is it a revampamping of the system they now use?
post #72 of 447 (permalink) Old 2010-10-06, 03:46 PM
Premium Supporter

As I understand it — same tower, same antenna, higher ERP.
post #73 of 447 (permalink) Old 2010-10-08, 07:49 PM

I know they've been approved for Winnipeg, but does anyone know when CKND-DT will be on air?
post #74 of 447 (permalink) Old 2010-10-20, 12:51 PM

This just in from the CRTC - Global Halifax stays on channel 8 when digital, with pitiful ERP:

"The new transmitter will operate on channel 8 with an average effective radiated power (ERP) of 410 watts (maximum ERP of 1,000 watts with an effective height of antenna above average terrain of 241 metres). The Commission notes that CIHF-DT will operate on a channel that is different than the one allotted in the Department of Industry’s (the Department’s) DTV Post-Transition Allotment Plan."
post #75 of 447 (permalink) Old 2010-10-20, 01:06 PM
Veteran

They're also approved for channel 15 in Montreal, from the new CBC/SRC UHF-low antenna on the Mount Royal candelabra tower.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in