Global Network DTV Transition Status (closed) - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 447 (permalink) Old 2010-09-23, 03:45 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by micah View Post
If I ever do get ahold of someone at Shaw, I'll push for a local repeater too!
Why not push for a local station? It is shameful that both Ottawa and London have repeaters of Global Toronto. It wasn't so bad when they first started as Global Ontario, but it didn't take long for them to focus all their attention on their largest market and ignore everyone else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 447 (permalink) Old 2010-09-23, 03:47 PM

Well, Global certainly wasn't in the financial position to improve their network, including stations and such. Hopefully that will now change...

Roof-top mounted Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
post #48 of 447 (permalink) Old 2010-09-23, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
Why not push for a local station? It is shameful that both Ottawa and London have repeaters of Global Toronto.
We don't even have a local repeater. We have to go to great lengths to pick up CIII out of Paris, which is not what I would consider local! I figured it'd be cheaper and easier to start out with just a repeater in close range.

Winegard HD 7084P pointed at Paris and a CM7777

post #49 of 447 (permalink) Old 2010-09-23, 04:03 PM

That's shameful, for a city the size of London. While the city is likely not large enough to accomodate another local TV station, they should at least have a repeater.

I may have mentioned this before, but it makes sense for Global to relocate their Paris transmitter further west, say to Woodstock. I currently receive their transitional digital signal very well from Toronto, at a respectable 60%. The post-transition Toronto digital UHF station at 100kW would most certainly be easily received in Kitchener-Waterloo, Paris, Brantford, Guelph, and other areas to the east side of the current Paris station's coverage footprint.

Roof-top mounted Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
post #50 of 447 (permalink) Old 2010-09-23, 04:28 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase88 View Post
I may have mentioned this before, but it makes sense for Global to relocate their Paris transmitter further west, say to Woodstock. I currently receive their transitional digital signal very well from Toronto, at a respectable 60%. The post-transition Toronto digital UHF station at 100kW would most certainly be easily received in Kitchener-Waterloo, Paris, Brantford, Guelph, and other areas to the east side of the current Paris station's coverage footprint.
I agree with you on this one. I might even take it one further and suggest that it (along with CityTv's repeater) be moved to London to minimize the number of transmitter sites.
post #51 of 447 (permalink) Old 2010-09-23, 04:45 PM

Too bad they aren't forum members or readers

post #52 of 447 (permalink) Old 2010-09-23, 06:07 PM

The only market I think Global should really have a local affiliate (that it doesn't have one in) is Ottawa. All others are small and would most likely loose money, so it wouldn't be economically feasible for them to open shop in a small city like London.

If any market aside from Ottawa should have one it should be Sudbury, and they would do a regional newscast like CTV Northern Ontario does.
post #53 of 447 (permalink) Old 2010-09-23, 07:23 PM
Veteran

Quote:
If I ever do get ahold of someone at Shaw, I'll push for a local repeater too!
Maybe Global will snap up that 600w post transition slot on channel 3. It ought to reach all the way to Komoka.

The real reason why Global and CTV do not have a presence in London is due to the extraordinarily high cable TV penetration back in the 60s and early 70s when these transmitters were planned. If 95% of the city has cable for signal carriage, why put up a local transmitter? And remember, this was 25-30 years before small dish satellite TV and when most major US cities and Canadian cities near the border had little or no cable TV penetration. It was also a time when most stations had very high power and also had little or no interference from other stations. Reductions in tower heights, ERP and the proliferation of new stations and repeaters has changed that. It's time London got better coverage from CTV and Global. The DTV transition is a perfect opportunity.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #54 of 447 (permalink) Old 2010-09-23, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryBob View Post
It's time London got better coverage from CTV and Global. The DTV transition is a perfect opportunity.
Hear, hear!

post #55 of 447 (permalink) Old 2010-09-23, 07:48 PM
Veteran

global still in SD in toronto. way to go ciii
post #56 of 447 (permalink) Old 2010-09-23, 07:55 PM

ScaryBob: Good point! London was, by far, one of the first cities in Canada to have cable TV service. When I worked for Rogers, I recall seeing some customer accounts dating back to the 60's. This has obviously created a situation (and a persistent culture) where there is low demand for OTA signals.

post #57 of 447 (permalink) Old 2010-09-23, 08:15 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo View Post
global still in SD in toronto. way to go ciii
Huh??? They are broadcasting in both SD and HD in Toronto. Are you upset that they haven't shutdown their analog transmitter yet?
post #58 of 447 (permalink) Old 2010-09-23, 09:39 PM

The newcast cast is SD, while Global National and most primetime programming is HD.

DTV != HD
post #59 of 447 (permalink) Old 2010-09-23, 11:07 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman2g View Post
The newcast cast is SD, while Global National and most primetime programming is HD.

DTV != HD
Shouldn't be for much longer. The new sets are almost complete. (so they keep saying)

DTV does not = HDTV. There is SD digital channels out there.
post #60 of 447 (permalink) Old 2010-09-24, 12:09 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman2g View Post
DTV != HD
Agreed. I was just wondering what on earth you were talking about as it sounded like you thought they were only broadcasting in SD. There aren't many channels that are 100% HD.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in