Global Network DTV Transition Status (closed) - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 447 (permalink) Old 2010-09-16, 02:42 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Post transition CIII-TV-41 in Toronto will cover a larger area so those in London might also be able to argue that CIII-TV could (should?) be moved further west to better serve them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 447 (permalink) Old 2010-09-21, 11:47 AM

Global's intentions, Shaw's intentions

Global's intentions were to upgrade 20 transmitters (in the "mandatory markets"), based on what they submitted to the CRTC last spring. However, Shaw has proposed to upgrade all 86 of the Global transmitters. The proposal is part of the public benefits package Shaw put forward related to the purchase of Canwest Global. The hearing is going on right now and we will likely know soon whether this will really happen.

It's interesting that Shaw says it believes "such conversion is strongly in the public interest and may, in the longer term, lead to innovative new applications, including signal multiplexing, that will further strengthen and enrich our domestic broadcasting system" !. First broadcaster that I know of to say anything like that...
post #33 of 447 (permalink) Old 2010-09-21, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reader View Post
It's interesting that Shaw says it believes "such conversion is strongly in the public interest and may, in the longer term, lead to innovative new applications, including signal multiplexing, that will further strengthen and enrich our domestic broadcasting system" !. First broadcaster that I know of to say anything like that...
Interesting indeed! The CBC doesn't even seem to care to that degree. In any case, if that is true then I'm quite impressed with their dedication to the conversion when everyone else seems to want to shut transmitters down.

Winegard HD 7084P pointed at Paris and a CM7777

post #34 of 447 (permalink) Old 2010-09-21, 01:44 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
While I don't argue that Shaw sees opportunities in transitioning all of GlobalTV's transmitters, I also think there is a bit of a political game being played. As surprising as it sounds, the cable companies want OTA to survive the transition for a variety of reasons. Probably one of the biggest ones is the fear that they would loose market share to the DTH companies in a world without OTA. Even if they actually gain customers, a reduction in market share looks bad to their investors.
post #35 of 447 (permalink) Old 2010-09-21, 07:16 PM
Premium Supporter

At a CRTC hearing in Calgary today, Shaw said its purchase of Global Television includes a promise to spend $23 million to install DTV transmitters in smaller markets.
On a side note, Shaw also promises to introduce/revive local morning news in Saskatoon, Regina, Winnipeg, Toronto, Montreal and Halifax.
All this according to a report I just saw on the Early News on Global Calgary. Missed half of it — I'll watch again at 6 p.m. to see if I've missed any more interesting nuggets of information.
post #36 of 447 (permalink) Old 2010-09-21, 08:16 PM

Politically motivated or not, that is music to my ears!

post #37 of 447 (permalink) Old 2010-09-21, 10:21 PM
Veteran

CIII-TV staying on 6 in Paris is a very real problem for the London area, probably more so than in Ottawa. The current channel 6 signal is difficult to pick up at 100,000 watts. Even Rogers had difficulty getting a clean signal on 6 when they received it OTA for local distribution. London is a hot tropo area due to it's location midway between Detroit, Cleveland, Erie and Toronto. (Tropo is rampant in Summer months.) That doesn't even count sightly more distant markets such as Toledo and Pittsburgh which occasionally bounce in. At 4000 watts, CIII-TV is going to be almost impossible to receive and it will be subject interference from distant signals. There will be 4 unallocated post transition frequencies in London, 5 if you count the frequency vacated by SUN. 3 of those are UHF frequencies suitable for a station such as CIII-TV. Even CIII-TV's transitional frequency (channel 30 at 250,000 watts) would provide better coverage (probably better than it currently has.) I suspect that Global is doing the bare minimum for the digital transition to snub their noses at the CRTC and viewers alike. We can hope that Shaw does better.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #38 of 447 (permalink) Old 2010-09-22, 03:23 PM

Broadcasting on channel 6 (CIII Paris)is only an issue. If the broadcast power remains at 4kW. Now if CIII Paris broadcasts at 15 - 20 kW. Then the signal should be quite good.

Another point, if CIII was to use a UHF channel. Then the best RF to use would be channel 46 as there nothing using channel 46 for 250 km +. (Note: there maybe a random ch 46 LP somewheres).

Read ya l8r,
Al

OTA: DB8 + Y5 2-6 + CM777. FTA: 30W + 72W + 87W + 97W
post #39 of 447 (permalink) Old 2010-09-22, 03:33 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald_Boar View Post
Broadcasting on channel 6 (CIII Paris)is only an issue. If the broadcast power remains at 4kW. Now if CIII Paris broadcasts at 15 - 20 kW. Then the signal should be quite good.
Maybe not. Channel 6 in Philadelphia has trouble in the suburbs at 30 kW.
Having full power FM stations clse by in London isn't going to help.
post #40 of 447 (permalink) Old 2010-09-22, 05:48 PM

I have no issue receiving CIII Paris analog 6, and I'm about 20km away. The image is perfect--no interference. But this will definitely change for those with rabbit ears in the vicinity (or a low antenna mount).

Roof-top mounted Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
post #41 of 447 (permalink) Old 2010-09-22, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase88 View Post
I have no issue receiving CIII Paris analog 6, and I'm about 20km away. The image is perfect--no interference. But this will definitely change for those with rabbit ears in the vicinity (or a low antenna mount).
Right now I get CIII in Old South London without issue too -- if you don't consider my 12' long Winegard 7084P an issue. But still, the signal is receivable with a little effort... for now. I'm trying to find a contact at shaw to discuss the post-transition assignment, but I haven't heard back yet.

post #42 of 447 (permalink) Old 2010-09-23, 10:18 AM
Veteran

As one of the documents linked to in the Transitioning To A VHF-LO DTV Channel - Unwise and uncaring! thread says, to maintain existing coverage patterns, 15 to 20dB (30 to 100 times) more power is needed than expected, and even then, many people who had a "watchable" picture in analog cannot get a picture with DTV.

Interference that only causes a little distortion in analog can kill the signal in DTV since current decoders were designed to deal with they types of interference common with UHF, not VHF.

So just because you can receive CIII now in analog does not mean you won't have problems when they flash cut to DTV.
post #43 of 447 (permalink) Old 2010-09-23, 02:07 PM

No doubt, Roger1818. I'm certainly aware of the flood of complaints that happened state-side when stations went VHF-digital, especially with a low assignment.

Roof-top mounted Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
post #44 of 447 (permalink) Old 2010-09-23, 02:26 PM
Veteran

I don't think that most people in the city would find it acceptable to install a Winegard HD 7084P to receive just one extra channel. Such a large antenna significantly increases the weight, wind resistance and cost over a solution such as a UHF/VHF-hi boom or UHF bow tie antenna. It also significantly increases the likelihood of complaints from neighbors or, in my case, the spouse.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #45 of 447 (permalink) Old 2010-09-23, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryBob View Post
I don't think that most people in the city would find it acceptable to install a Winegard HD 7084P to receive just one extra channel. Such a large antenna significantly increases the weight, wind resistance and cost over a solution such as a UHF/VHF-hi boom or UHF bow tie antenna. It also significantly increases the likelihood of complaints from neighbors or, in my case, the spouse.
No argument here! "if you don't consider my 12' long Winegard 7084P an issue" was supposed to come across as sarcasm -- it's ridiculous that I had to put that up in a city of nearly half a million to get another channel. If I ever do get ahold of someone at Shaw, I'll push for a local repeater too!

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in