CTV & CTV2 DTV Transition Status (closed) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 653 (permalink) Old 2010-08-13, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

CTV & CTV2 DTV Transition Status (closed)

This thread is for discussing the status of the CTV and /A\ Channel networks during their transition to DTV broadcasting.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 653 (permalink) Old 2010-08-13, 03:51 PM
Veteran

Location: Dunnville, Ontario on the Grand River, North shore Lake Erie
Question: I've never seen /A\ channel in my viewing area in the past. Are those /A\ Channels just rebroadcast/repeaters of CTV or is it something else?

3D SSH III with ZZ4 refl. http://imageshack.us/user/jmsdigital
post #3 of 653 (permalink) Old 2010-08-13, 03:59 PM

I emailed A on the island the following...

When do you plan to begin testing your OTA DTV broadcasting on 23.1 remapping to 53?

I will post any reply I may get on this question.

post #4 of 653 (permalink) Old 2010-08-13, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ota_canuck
I've never seen /A\ channel in my viewing area in the past. Are those /A\ Channels just rebroadcast/repeaters of CTV or is it something else?
It is called the /A\ Channel but it is actually like a "B Team" for programs that the main CTV Channel isn't presently carrying. It might as well be called CTV2.

For example, Fringe was on CTV in HD, then it got bumped off the main network due to the popularity of reality shows, so it was shunted over to /A\ in SD!!

/A\ has a few analogue OTA stations in Canada.

post #5 of 653 (permalink) Old 2010-08-13, 04:10 PM
Veteran

Location: Dunnville, Ontario on the Grand River, North shore Lake Erie
That's what I thought. Then it would make more sense for CTV to simply broadcast /A\ as a subchannel rather than use up an extra frequency allotment. We'll have to keep an ear open on Canadian broadcaster's usage of subchannels as this transition unfolds.

3D SSH III with ZZ4 refl. http://imageshack.us/user/jmsdigital
post #6 of 653 (permalink) Old 2010-08-13, 04:17 PM
Veteran

The /A\ channels are a collection of stations that form a separate network. Most started out as independently owned stations that were purchased by CHUM and made into an independent network. They were sold to CTV a few years ago and are now owned and operated by CTV but carry different programming. There are /A\ stations in London (10) and Barrie (3) as well as several other cities across Canada. CFPL started broadcasting about 1955 as a CBC affiliate and did well during that time. It dropped all affiliations in 1989 and started to lose money after that. The station was rebranded several times. Among those were PL, The NewPL (part of The New Network) and then /A\ London (part of the /A\ network.) CTV has used these stations as leverage to get extra revenue through fees levied on BDU customers. They even went as far as closing down at least one station and giving all employees at CFPL 2 year termination notices. There have also been massive programming cutbacks and layoffs since they were owned by CHUM and CTV. CTV claims that all of the /A\ stations are losing money and it is likely that CTV will close some of them down instead of converting them to digital.

The threatened closing of CFPL was timed to coincide with the digital transition, a likely attempt to gain some sort of extra funding or extension for the transition, in addition to other funds. I have seen no announcement by CTV on their plans for CFPL after the transition.

CTV has threatened to shut down their CTV repeater near Sarnia rather than convert it to digital. It is currently slated to continue broadcasting in analog since it is not considered to be in a mandatory market.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #7 of 653 (permalink) Old 2010-08-13, 05:05 PM

CTV is stalling with the /A\ upgrade. Apparently, A is being reorganized.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2010/2010-580.htm

Oh this also includes CTV. Hmmm

CTV Has announced DTV also for
Ottawa (aug 12): rf 13 HAAT 373.4 m ERP 10kW
http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2010/2010-568.htm

Edmonton (aug 12): rf 12 HAAT 228.1 metres 16kW
http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2010/2010-569.htm

@Bob
Sarnia is not mandatory? I thought everything within 200 miles of the US was mandatory. (May be 100 miles)

read ya l8r,
Al

OTA: DB8 + Y5 2-6 + CM777. FTA: 30W + 72W + 87W + 97W

Last edited by Emerald_Boar; 2010-08-13 at 05:17 PM. Reason: A & CTV
post #8 of 653 (permalink) Old 2010-08-13, 07:17 PM
Veteran

What's up with CKVR?? Aren't they supposed to go onto ch-10? CKVR is likely their most profitable station.
post #9 of 653 (permalink) Old 2010-08-14, 12:51 AM
Veteran

Quote:
I thought everything within 200 miles of the US was mandatory.
I don't think digital is mandatory. Canada and the US have agreements on channel allocations and ERP. Stations that do not switch may need to reduce power and/or switch channels, particularly those above channel 51 or those using VHF.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #10 of 653 (permalink) Old 2010-08-14, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald_Boar
Sarnia is not mandatory? I thought everything within 200 miles of the US was mandatory. (May be 100 miles)
Sarnia is not mandatory, and distance from the U.S. border is not part of the criteria. The complete list of mandatory market locations is in this post:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...11&postcount=1

post #11 of 653 (permalink) Old 2010-08-14, 03:40 PM

thenewdc: CKVR's interim digital allocation and post-transition digital allocation is on channel 10. I too am anxiously awaiting this deployment, as my location is approximately equal distance between Barrie and London. CFPL in London is also on channel 10.

Roof-top mounted Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
post #12 of 653 (permalink) Old 2010-08-15, 10:23 AM
Veteran

Your location may put you in a situation where both digital channels mutually exclude one another and you get nothing. That sounds worrisome. Where I am, CKVR booms in on channel 3, even on my UHF antenna, and I'm not pointing in their direction.
post #13 of 653 (permalink) Old 2010-08-15, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

With ATSC the co-channel behaviour becomes a matter of either/or. If the signal from CKVR and CFPL on 10.1 is lockable it would be a matter of other conditions as to which one would be locked and which one would be rejected.

post #14 of 653 (permalink) Old 2010-08-15, 05:07 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewdc View Post
CKVR is likely their most profitable station.
I am not sure if CKVR is profitable. The best way of saying this is CKVR is likely the station that loses the least amount of money.
post #15 of 653 (permalink) Old 2010-08-20, 04:14 PM

I'm looking at the PT channel allotments for a CJOH repeater in Deseronto, Ontario, and it is only showing channel 49 as the allotted channel after the conversion. Deseronto is not in a mandatory market, and would likely not be transitioned by CTV. My question is, would CTV still be allowed to transmit on CH6? I know that the higher channels must be vacated after August 2011, but I wasn't sure about channels <7.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in