CBC/SRC DTV Transition Status (closed) - Page 51 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #751 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-08-02, 01:29 PM
BCF

CBC response to Bell Media's intervention

Read the CBC response to Bell Media's intervention @ https://services.crtc.gc.ca/pub/List...-1107-0&Lang=e

I quickly read through the repsonse. The CBC did not directly respond to other intereventions that were submitted, and the CBC essentially said that they would not transition additional areas to digital, and
Quote:
these technical amendments will enable Canadians in London, Kitchener and Windsor to maintain access to CBC/Radio-Canada’s OTA signals permitting those Canadians currently using OTA technology to transition to alternative means in a more gradual manner without hardship. Otherwise, these residents located in mandatory markets where the Corporation will not transition to digital will lose access to CBC/Radio-Canada's OTA television signals far sooner than Canadians in other locations as the Corporation will be maintaining all of its analog transmitters in these markets. In the Corporation's view, disadvantaging these Canadians in this manner would be directly contrary to section 3(1)(m)(vii) of the Broadcasting Act which states that the Corporation's programming "should be made available throughout Canada by the most appropriate and efficient means ...".
The CBC really didn't mention that they will be shutting down the analog transmitters in 2-3 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-08-02, 01:32 PM

What a fiasco this is turning into. I really hope the CRTC forces them to go digital.

Winegard HD 7084P pointed at Paris and a CM7777
post #753 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-08-02, 01:35 PM
BCF

^^ me too!

We'll all have to wait for the CRTC decision/final ruling.

post #754 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-08-02, 01:35 PM
Veteran

Quote:
... the Corporation's programming "should be made available throughout Canada by the most appropriate and efficient means ...".
Which is ATSC broadcasting in major markets. I hope the CRTC rips the CBC a new one over this.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #755 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-08-02, 01:35 PM
BCF

^^ me too!

The CRTC's decision should be in the best interest of Canadians. London is designated as a mandatory market, therefore the CBC should be upgrading the CBLN transmitter to digital, regardless if CBLN is a re-broadcaster of CBLT (Toronto), and for all other reasons given in this thread. All other conventional broadcasters in the area will be upgrading to digital.
post #756 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-08-02, 02:35 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Londoners certainly have the most to gain right away if CBC is finally coerced into transitioning to DTV there, but this Bell Media intervention has even wider significance for other CBC cities in Canada, hence some posts about it have been moved here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Solomon
Quote:
Originally Posted by stampeder View Post
Right on, Bell Media!
you don't hear that phrase very often.
Two old sayings come to mind:
  1. Credit where credit is due
  2. The enemy of my enemy is my friend
Just kidding, CBC staffers, I am poking fun at your senior executives only!

post #757 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-08-02, 02:49 PM

The CRTC needs to put the foot down here and simply inform the CBC that the transition to Digital is a final decision in mandatory markets, stretching to other non-mandatory markets in the coming years. If they decided to pull transmitters, the impacts will be felt at license renewal time and the public impact is something they are going to need to deal with. I don't think the CRTC can "force" the CBC to add a digital transmitter, they can only tell them them to shut it down and not operate in analogue.

Like I've said before, I'd rather No CBC then CBC in analogue.. we are moving forward here.
post #758 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-08-02, 03:26 PM

The CRTC does have the mandate to force the CBC to transition any and all of its transmitters to digital in the public interest. If they wont, then it's time for the Feds to come in and force them. The Feds do have the power to issue a policy directive to the CRTC to force the CBC to act.
post #759 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-08-02, 03:40 PM
Veteran

My understanding of the Broadcasting act is that there are limits to what the CRTC can do in this situation, since the CBC has a special status within the Act. For example, it can refuse to grant the CBC a license to broadcast past August 31, but it cannot force the CBC to apply for a digital license.

For example, it can issue a one-year license for analog broadcasting, but it cannot force the CBC to apply to convert it to digital. Cable carriage is not an issue, since the regulations guarantee the CBC carriage on cable systems even if there is no local station. It's not clear if those regulations could be changed without contravening the Act.

As for licenses that exist, the CRTC cannot revoke a CBC license without the CBC's consent. It can only refuse to renew one.
I am not a lawyer, your mileage may vary...
post #760 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-08-02, 04:01 PM

The government can use a carrot and stick approach. Force the issue by threatening to cut funding back. I dont think it would take the CBC long to reverse their decision.
post #761 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-08-02, 04:03 PM
Veteran

You're assuming the government of the day has the will to do so...
post #762 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-08-02, 04:39 PM

Fortunately the Harper government is not a real fan of the CBC to begin with. They just might want to stick it to them.
post #763 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-08-02, 04:42 PM
Veteran

But taking money away from the CBC is not going to get them to spend more.
post #764 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-08-02, 05:54 PM

Budgeting for conversion of a few more transmitters is not that much relative to the billion dollars they recieve on a yearly basis, plus they also get advertising revenue as well.
post #765 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-08-02, 05:56 PM

Yeah, but I think its the underlying infrastructure costs that they are really worried about. But seriously, how much can it possibly cost to run fiber and pay for bandwidth!?

Winegard HD 7084P pointed at Paris and a CM7777
Closed Thread

Tags
cbc , crtc , digital conversion , ota

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in