CBC/SRC DTV Transition Status (closed) - Page 38 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #556 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-24, 02:27 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald_Boar View Post
Thunder Bay (Affiliated CKPR, Dougall Media) BOTH
Shouldn't this be "CBC" not "BOTH?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #557 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-24, 02:30 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob50312 View Post
If live in Oshawa you are within the contours of 3 CBC signals and all are being transitioned to digital.Yes CHEX is not own by CBC but they must see a value in having a repeater in Oshawa.
Oshawa isn't a mandatory market, so I gather CHEX won't be transitioning until sometime in 2012.

Quote:
but they must see a value in having a repeater in Oshawa
The way the CBC is trying to shut down their affiliates, I doubt it.
post #558 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-24, 03:07 PM

CBKT Regina approved

The CRTC has approved the CBC's application for a digital transmitter for CBKT (Regina):

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2011/2011-207.htm

post #559 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-24, 03:35 PM
Veteran

Chex owners did say that peterboro and oshawa will transition to digital.

Attic CM 4248 at Buffalo,M4 at Buffalo.VHF yagis at Toronto .
post #560 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-24, 05:26 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob50312 View Post
Chex owners did say that peterboro and oshawa will transition to digital.
Yes, but not until 2012 last I heard.
post #561 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-29, 02:50 PM
Premium Supporter

Curious conditions for renewal

CBC gets administrative renewal until Aug. 31, 2012.
http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2011/2011-215.htm
Includes the following condition:
Quote:
The Commission notes that it does not intend to renew authorizations for full-power analog transmitters operating in the mandatory markets or on channels 52 to 69 outside the mandatory markets beyond 31 August 2011. By that time, the Commission expects licensees to have the necessary authority to broadcast in digital. In addition, the Commission imposes the following condition of licence on the stations listed in the appendix to this decision that operate in mandatory markets or on channels 52 to 69 outside the mandatory markets:
"Unless otherwise authorized by the Commission, the licensee shall not transmit analog television signals after 31 August 2011 in mandatory markets designated as such by the Commission in Broadcasting Regulatory Policy 2011-184 or transmit television signals on channels 52 to 69."
So it doesn't look like the CRTC is prepared to give CBC exceptions to DTV conversion in mandatory markets.
post #562 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-29, 02:53 PM
Veteran

If they don't have an analog signal, and don't provide a digital signal, then the CRTC should force BDU's to pull the local station from their systems immediately and not allow signal substitution of another feed.
post #563 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-29, 03:34 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alebowgm View Post
If they don't have an analog signal, and don't provide a digital signal, then the CRTC should force BDU's to pull the local station from their systems immediately and not allow signal substitution of another feed.
Big Deal. I think that the CBC will be dropping Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune -- I don't think they simsub anything else.
post #564 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-29, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Or provide the HD feed in clear QAM not requiring an STB.
post #565 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-29, 03:54 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Big Deal. I think that the CBC will be dropping Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune -- I don't think they simsub anything else.
I didn't mean simsub rules, I meant if (for example) CBAT were to go dark OTA (no analog or digital signal), then the BDUs should be forced to pull the station from their lineups and not allowed to offer another CBC feed, say CBLT, in its place.

Quote:
Or provide the HD feed in clear QAM not requiring an STB.
Clear QAM only would work IF every house access to cable, which they don't. So Bell and Shaw would need to offer open satellite access, which they wont.
post #566 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-29, 04:18 PM
Veteran

I wouldn't be surprised if Bell and Shaw started offering unencrypted network HD when FreeHD becomes operational. Neither of them wants another competitor in the satellite TV marketplace. OTOH, I think it's atrocious that CBC is not available FTA. Many countries provide unencrypted national TV feeds to their citizens, both at home and abroad. Just look at the number of international feeds available on FTA in North America.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #567 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-29, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryBob View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Bell and Shaw started offering unencrypted network HD when FreeHD becomes operational.
How would that benefit cable companies? You'd still need to subscribe to a cable package. They'll never start hooking up everyone's cable whether you subscribe or not...

And the cable companies don't want to debunk the myth that you need a STB to receive HD channels. Customers might start asking, "if I can get some HD channels without a box, why can't I get all of them this way?".

Roof-top mounted Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
post #568 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-29, 05:08 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alebowgm View Post
I didn't mean simsub rules, I meant if (for example) CBAT were to go dark OTA (no analog or digital signal), then the BDUs should be forced to pull the station from their lineups and not allowed to offer another CBC feed, say CBLT, in its place.
Doesn't work that way. According to the CRTC rules, CBC stations are required on cable even if there is no local station. Carriage of a CBC station or an in-province educational station is required independent of whether there is a local transmitter.

Remember, CRTC regulations are based on the Broadcasting Act, and the CBC has a special status within the Broadcasting Act.
post #569 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-29, 05:45 PM
Veteran

Quote:
How would that benefit cable companies? You'd still need to subscribe to a cable package.
This question is a bit puzzling. I don't see why it would need to benefit cable companies at all. Cable customers would subscribe to free basic networks the same way that satellite customers would. That is, pay for the equipment and installation and then be given digital receiver authorization to only decode local stations. Analog stations can be blocked in areas where they are still available. I don't think I would be going too far out on a limb if I said that analog cable will be gone from almost all cable systems in 5 years. Then a digital receiver would be required for all channels.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #570 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-29, 05:59 PM
Veteran

I take it this means CBC can lauch in HD on a cable provider without having a transmitter up and running! (CBC Edmonton & Calgary launching April 1 as an example)
Closed Thread

Tags
cbc , crtc , digital conversion , ota

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in