CBC/SRC DTV Transition Status (closed) - Page 37 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #541 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-23, 08:35 PM

CBC in Quebec

Quote:
Thank GOD Quebec is fully covered. (at least along the St Lawrence). They were smart enough to have enough people not subscribed to CABLE or SATELLITE. And as a reward they actually get CBC OTA services.
Not really: Only greater Montreal area will have CBC in HD, elsewhere, very few low powered analog repeaters....and Trois-Rivières and Sherbrooke are losing there CBC analog channels

in french: SRC is not broadcasting in HD east of Rimouski....and repeaters will end transmitting as soon as they broke....

and it's true that many viewers here ( in Quebec ) are wathcing there tv OTA

vive le Québec !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-23, 08:59 PM

Im bad
Both SRC and CBC have different setups. Heres a mapping system
http://cbc.radio-canada.ca/dtv/cover...erageMapAnchor
Quick list:
Kinda of West to East (Legend Both = Getting a SRC and CBC setup, EDGE = some users of the area should be able to get programming, CBC = Only CBC is being setup, SRC = Only SRC is being setup, Affiliated = some1 other then CBC is footing the cost, ZERO neither CBC nor SRC will be available OTA)

Victoria EDGE, Vancouver BOTH

Calgary CBC, Edmonton BOTH, Llordminster (affiliated CKSA, newcap) CBC,
Lethbridge ZERO

Regina BOTH, Saskatoon ZERO.

Winnipeg BOTH

Kitchener EDGE, London ZERO, Ottawa BOTH Thunder Bay (Affiliated CKPR, Dougall Media) BOTH, Toronto BOTH, Windsor CBC.

Montreal BOTH, Quebec SRC Rimouski SRC, Rivière-du-Loup (affiliée CKRT-TV.) SRC, Rouyn-Noranda / Val d'Or (affiliée CKRN-TV) SRC, Saguenay SRC, Sherbrooke SRC, Trois Rivières SRC.

Fredericton CBC, Moncton SRC, Saint John ZERO

Halifax CBC, Charlottetown CBCSt. John's CBC, Yellowknife CBC

OTA: DB8 + Y5 2-6 + CM777. FTA: 30W + 72W + 87W + 97W
post #543 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-23, 09:09 PM

According to the coverage map, Rouyn-Noranda and Val d'Or will continue to receive CBC analog, but it's probably an error, since this is a mandatory market for conversion !!!

post #544 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-23, 09:56 PM
Veteran

Location: Toronto/Etobicoke - Bloor/Royal York/Queensway/Islington
Betamax, that analog CBC you see in Rouyn-Noranda is CBLT-8 which is in Ontario, so it is considered outside of the Rouyn-Noranda/Val-d'Or, so it gets to live for a while longer.

A-D DB4e & CS5, CM 4221 & 7778, TiVo Premiere & Roamio
post #545 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-23, 10:50 PM

El Grand Chico, what about CBVD-TV (channel 5) ? It is a repeater of CBMT Montréal, located in QC, in the territory of Rouyn-Noranda/Val d'Or market.
post #546 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-23, 11:07 PM
Veteran

If live in Oshawa you are within the contours of 3 CBC signals and all are being transitioned to digital.Yes CHEX is not own by CBC but they must see a value in having a repeater in Oshawa.Oshawa 3 London 0.

Attic CM 4248 at Buffalo,M4 at Buffalo.VHF yagis at Toronto .

Last edited by rob50312; 2011-03-23 at 11:08 PM. Reason: more
post #547 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-24, 01:51 AM
Veteran

Oshawa is not the only Ontario community that will be covered by 3 CBC stations either. The entire CBC repeater strategy has been ludicrous from day one. Where other networks manage with half a dozen repeaters, the CBC uses dozens to achieve the same goal. The CBC will soon serve fewer people with more repeaters. All I can say is that the CBC must be run by a bunch of buffoons. Michigan gets better ATSC coverage than many Canadian provinces. What's with that? And why leave analog repeaters running in places like Oshawa that are adequately covered by Toronto's ATSC transmitter? It would make more sense to shut down those small analog repeaters and use the operating funds to serve wider areas with much larger markets.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #548 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-24, 05:09 AM
Premium Supporter

CBC's response to CRTC denial for CBAT-DT

http://cbc.radio-canada.ca/newsreleases/20110323.shtml

Quote:
“We understand the Commission’s wish to find a solution for over-the-air viewers in Saint John,” continued (Steven Guiton, Vice President and Chief Regulatory Officer). “We share that wish, and have suggested a simple and efficient solution: allow CBC Television to continue providing the analogue service it offers today – much in the same way the Commission permitted recently in the case of Yellowknife, Whitehorse and Iqaluit.”
post #549 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-24, 09:54 AM

Are we able to intervene yet?

Winegard HD 7084P pointed at Paris and a CM7777
post #550 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-24, 09:59 AM
Veteran

Is there a reason why the CBC cannot install a digital transmitter in the same location as the existing analog transmitter?

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #551 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-24, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Is there a reason why the CBC cannot install a digital transmitter in the same location as the existing analog transmitter?
According to the press release, it was a financial issue.

Interesting how their PR machine keeps pushing this blatently false claim of OTA viewership "declining".
post #552 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-24, 12:09 PM

There is of course the fact that the Mount Champlain transmitter has terrible coverage of Fredericton's north facing hill where the UNB campus is located, and most of the homes around there. That is analog, so digital would probably be a bigger mess. The best situation would be for a large transmitter on Mount Champlain where channel 4 was, then to put a small ATSC repeater over in Nashwaak, pointing back in.

It's possible the people who own the site at Mount Champlain only had a deal with the original CHSJ and arent willing to go cheap with any new CBC installation up there. The fallback for CBC for Saint John would be that miserable site at Norton where SRC transmits. But the signal propagation into Saint John is awful.

Also, SRC has a UHF installation in Fredericton on channel 19, which they might be considering for the transmitter site. Then again, since their studio is in Fredericton, they could have a local STL that would be line of sight to a transmitter there, as opposed to Mount Champlain where they would have to invest in something more elaborate.
post #553 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-24, 12:45 PM

Thanks for the local information GerryB. CBC's proposal was to use the Channel 19 SRC transmitter in Fredericton to transmit CBC in digital. The coverage contour looks adequate for the Fredericton area.

I had a look at IC allocations for the Champlain site and there is a 1200W allocation there for the present channel 4 antenna. CBC has stated their intent to not broadcast DTV on VHF-lo, so this likely won't happen. Private affiliates in Thunder Bay and Loydminster will be using similar setups - time will tell how well or if they work.

Maybe CBC will try changing their city of license to Fredericton. I notice their press release urged the CRTC to allow them to continue in analog in the mandatory markets. Maybe the CRTC will cave.
post #554 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-24, 01:54 PM
Veteran

My information was, as Gerry has alluded to, the Channel 4 solution to serving both Fredricton and Saint John was recognized as never having adequately covering both cities in analog. Digital would certainly be impossible on channel 4, and likely even worse on UHF, even with high power, unless fill-in transmitters were used to supplement the dead spots in both cities.
post #555 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-24, 02:08 PM

CBC in Quebec

Since Trois-Rivieres, Quebec City, and Sherbrooke will loose their analog CBC re-transmitters of CBMT-Montreal because they are mandatory DTV markets come September.

Why then can't they boost the power output of their analog re-transmitter in Thetford Mines to cover those areas as a adjacent market transmitter?

No logic, nor any serious consideration about making their OTA signals available to the public.

Also, some posts indicated that the DTV situation is NB is due to financial matters. Really! How about shutting down some analog re-transmitters that overlap with each other. Or simply increase the power output of new DTV stations to accelerate re-transmitter shut down. Money can be saved and re-distributed to where the needs are.

A few ideas....

Increase the power output of the CBC PEI station. Two re-transmitters on the island can be shut down ASAP.

Look at the overlapping signals around Regina. What a mess.

And most importantly than any other point that I can think of is... use your DTV sub-channels to place the minority language in the area on air.
Closed Thread

Tags
cbc , crtc , digital conversion , ota

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in