CBC/SRC DTV Transition Status (closed) - Page 36 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #526 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-23, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm023 View Post
They could even subscribe to Shaw Direct or Bell TV and plug the receiver into the transmitter if they had to.
Bad idea. They would be rebroadcasting their own signal after the Shaw/Bell have compressed it.

Winegard HD 7084P pointed at Paris and a CM7777
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #527 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-23, 09:51 AM
Veteran

but at least they wouldnt be shutting down transmitters...
post #528 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-23, 11:39 AM

So for the meantime, it begs the question: How will the CBC re-distribute their signal on existing translator sites if the main analog transmitter goes away.
I'm speaking from a trip I took in Southern Alberta this weekend. Most, if not all of the sites down there rely on the CBC Lethbridge transmitter (which receives the Calgary signal off of Bell).
When that transmitter goes away, do they plan on adding satellite receivers at every translator site, then modulating that signal so the translator stays alive???

post #529 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-23, 12:06 PM

The CRTC denied CBC's application to replace their analog Fredericton/Saint John transmitter with a digital transmitter covering only Fredericton:

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2011/2011-203.htm
post #530 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-23, 12:09 PM

I don't know if anybody as brought up this point...

Did anybody notice any strange coverage maps for DTV? What I mean is that the DTV coverage of certain stations don't seem efficient. Look at the Halifax map. Almost 40% of the coverage is over water. Who lives there? Why is the Windsor station covering part of Michigan? Yes, I know that these things will happen. But, shouldn't the transmitters coverage pattern be arranged so that more Canadians be covered. Why can't the Halifax transmitter be more inland and it's coverage area not be circular? The same with Windsor? Why is the Montreal station covering part of NY & VT when some people will loose CBC in Trois-Rivieres. Arrange the coverage pattern more towards the northeast. Why can't the PEI station increase it's power so that those two re-transmitters at either end of the island can be turned off? And it's increased power would cover more of NB & NS as well.

And most importantly, if they can't, or won't, convert certain stations, then increase the power output on the stations you will convert to cover a larger area. Look at that mess in NB.

And for God's sake, run a program on the CBC about how to set up a TV antenna so that those on the outer areas of a DTV transmitter can pick up your signal.

I always come back to the effort that PBS stations put into helping their viewers. They ran local programs, took questions from viewers live, had info on setting up a TV antenna. One station in upstate NY even had volunteers to help people set up their set top boxes.
post #531 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-23, 12:22 PM
Veteran

They are using their original transmitters. SO the contours are what they were when they were initally built decades ago. Now we have patterns for contours, back then everything was just circles and pumping out juice.

The Windsor signal covers a lot of S.W. Ontario, and covers most of the Chatham CBLT Toronto rebroadcaster as well. Plus back in the day, they wanted to pump a signal into the USA to get their news/views across.
post #532 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-23, 12:36 PM
Veteran

Location: Toronto/Etobicoke - Bloor/Royal York/Queensway/Islington
Quote:
Originally Posted by argilo View Post
The CRTC denied CBC's application to replace their analog Fredericton/Saint John transmitter with a digital transmitter covering only Fredericton:

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2011/2011-203.htm
Good spot Argilo!

Quote:
5. Most of the interventions in opposition were from individuals who expressed concern over the loss of OTA service to Saint John. In its comment, the Canadian Media Guild, while recognizing the challenges faced by the public broadcaster, expressed concern over the impact of the transition to digital OTA transmission in Southern New Brunswick and the CBC’s proposal for CBAT-TV.
You see?? We CAN make a difference.

A-D DB4e & CS5, CM 4221 & 7778, TiVo Premiere & Roamio
post #533 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-23, 12:42 PM
BCF

CBC digital conversion budget

The CBC will be converting just 1 of the 3 territories to digital (Yellowknife is converting to OTA DTV, meanwhile Whitehorse and Iqaluit will not as the CBC is no longer obligated to convert, as they are no longer mandatory markets, as defined by the CRTC).

Where is the already budgeted CBC DTV CONVERSION money for Whitehorse and Iqaluit being used for now?

The CBC should redirect those funds to convert other analog CBC transmitters to digital (since I'm a Londoner, then my vote is for CBLN in London).
post #534 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-23, 01:04 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF View Post
The CBC will be converting just 1 of the 3 territories to digital (Yellowknife is converting to OTA DTV, meanwhile Whitehorse and Iqaluit will not as the CBC is no longer obligated to convert, as they are no longer mandatory markets, as defined by the CRTC).
It is unknown if the CBC will still be converting the Yellowknife transmitter since it is no longer a mandatory market.

Quote:
Where is the already budgeted CBC DTV CONVERSION money for Whitehorse and Iqaluit being used for now?
They never had a budget to convert Whitehorse and Iqaluit. They were going to be shut down. Now they can stay on air in analog.
post #535 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-23, 01:43 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I've submitted a few Complaints to CBC via its "contact us" link
The CBC is not listening. They basically don't care who loses OTA. It doesn't even make much sense to write our MPs either. They will soon be busy campaigning and likely won't do anything until the Fall. Could this be an election issue? Not likely due to the small number of people who actually use OTA. This, among other issues, has put my OTA plans on hold.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #536 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-23, 02:41 PM

Disconcerting comment from the CBC regarding their DTV application for Saint John/Fredericton. Apparently the CBC believes that OTA is "no longer an efficient means of distributing TV signals".

I'm glad the Commission listened to those concerned about losing OTA in New Brunswick, and denied the CBC application for being too weak (not matching current analog coverage).

Roof-top mounted Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
post #537 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-23, 04:21 PM

Quote:
I'm glad the Commission listened to those concerned about losing OTA in New Brunswick, and denied the CBC application for being too weak (not matching current analog coverage).
I'm amazed that the CRTC had the balls to tell the CBC no on this one. Who knows what will come of it but clearly the decisions of the CBC are not sitting well with the CRTC.
post #538 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-23, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Why is the Windsor station covering part of Michigan?
Because Windsor is located immediately next to Michigan. CBET is popular for Hockey Night in Canada in SE Michigan, and some other CBC programming has a following there.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with letting Windsor's neighbours access the CBC signal, even if they're "not Canadians".
post #539 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-23, 05:40 PM
Veteran

Location: Toronto/Etobicoke - Bloor/Royal York/Queensway/Islington
Question Whatever happened to CBUT-27 (Mount McDonald)

Probably a dumb question from an Ontarioan but for an analysis I'm doing on CBC repeaters in DTV mandatory markets, I'm wondering what happened to CBUT-27, analog UHF channel 59 that served Victoria from Mount McDonald.

I assume it has been shutdown since I see it missing from CRTC documents, but oddly it still shows up on the CBC's website.

A-D DB4e & CS5, CM 4221 & 7778, TiVo Premiere & Roamio
post #540 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-23, 08:16 PM

Thanks BCF
CBC plans can be found at
http://cbc.radio-canada.ca/dtv/index.shtml in English
http://cbc.radio-canada.ca/tvn/index.shtml in French

Thank GOD Quebec is fully covered. (at least along the St Lawrence). They were smart enough to have enough people not subscribed to CABLE or SATELLITE. And as a reward they actually get CBC OTA services.

Viva la Quebec!
Al

OTA: DB8 + Y5 2-6 + CM777. FTA: 30W + 72W + 87W + 97W
Closed Thread

Tags
cbc , crtc , digital conversion , ota

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in