CBC/SRC DTV Transition Status (closed) - Page 35 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #511 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-22, 09:56 PM
BCF

Angry London area = CBC OTA coverage void :(

Thanks Downbeat for posting the CBC coverage maps link.

That is the final nail in the coffin... CBC OTA coverage in Ontario by means of a mix of analog, affiliate, and 3 CBC digital stations..... the only large population area where there is a VOID is the London, Woodstock, St.Thomas, Stratford, Strathroy, and all other towns in the area. It's just wrong on so many different levels.

Check out the coverage map for most of Ontario @ http://cbc.radio-canada.ca/tvn/pdf-m...015_TVE_ON.pdf from Windsor to Montreal to North Bay & Sudbury.

When the CBC analog transmitters begin to fail, there will NO longer be CBC OTA coverage in many areas, except for Ottawa, Toronto/GTA, and Windsor. People in these cities should consider themselves lucky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-22, 09:59 PM

Nice map!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF View Post
I guess when the analog transmitters begin to fail, there will NO longer be CBC OTA coverage in many areas, except for Ottawa, Toronto/GTA, and Windsor. People in those areas should consider themselves lucky.
So true

Winegard HD 7084P pointed at Paris and a CM7777
post #513 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-22, 10:37 PM

Re: CFYK Yellowknife

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gran Chico View Post
Isn't CFYK-TV Yellowknife an originating station? Perhaps CBC is too far down the road to turn back. We'll see I guess.
I expect CBC to carry on converting CFYK since it's an originating station. They're also converting their SRC station in Rimouski, which isn't a mandatory market either. Both are showing on their site: http://cbc.radio-canada.ca/dtv

I find it interesting that the DTV conversion is currently living on CBC's relatively static corporate site and not on the main CBC.ca site. If you search CBC.ca there is simply no link to CBC's dtv conversion site - not even under the TV/Channels and Frequencies section. I'd like to think that this is because the DTV site is new and just getting integrated in - I'd hope to find it at cbc.ca/dtv soon.

Guys, if you haven't done so yet, please write to the CBC via their contact us facility. I wrote them to complain about losing my local SRC repeater (which I watch about the same amount of as CTV or Global) but also put in a word for folks who will be losing CBC English. If we don't complain to CBC now and in September when signals are lost, these repeaters will stay dark.

post #514 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-22, 10:39 PM

Despite all my phone calls indicating CBC not making the DT transition in Halifax by the deadline their website now indicates differently: http://cbc.radio-canada.ca/dtv/halifax_cbc.shtml
I'm not sure if this is one hand not knowing what the other is doing but it could be an encouraging sign. Has the CRTC come out somewhere and said no deadline extensions for mandatory markets?

Last edited by stampeder; 2011-03-23 at 12:30 PM. Reason: moved from Halifax reception thread
post #515 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-22, 10:51 PM
BCF

Absolutely... I've submitted a few Complaints to CBC via its "contact us" link @ http://cbc.radio-canada.ca/about/contact.shtml / http://www.cbc.ca/contact/ (where the form actually exists). I have also sent 2 or 3 emails to Angus McKinnon (Senior Advisor, Media Relations and Issues Management at CBC/Radio-Canada) and my MP, Ed Holder.

Of course, I never received any response or feedback... so I'm not sure how effective these Complaints are.
post #516 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-22, 10:55 PM

Does this new website actually represent their solid comitted plan to make transitions or end services? After multiple phone calls saying Halifax would be going without DTV for at least another year now I see they're going to meet the deadline. ( http://cbc.radio-canada.ca/dtv/halifax_cbc.shtml ) I also see they're planning on cutting some mandatory markets entirely by ending their presence in those cities, like Saskatoon among others. I guess mandatory means "if you're going to transmit there you have to go digital", thus the sharp pencil brigade sees savings in "you don't have to go digital in non-capital large population centres if you don't transmit there any more."

It does suck that many markets are losing coverage (London, Saskatoon, most of New Brunswick), and it's interesting that they don't mention the time limits on analogue repeater lifespans, but it's a comprehensive plan that's long overdue in being released. And in my small corner of the world, an encouraging sign!
post #517 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-22, 11:00 PM

lordhemet,

In December, CBC quietly updated their PDF from August to indicate that all originating stations will be online for the deadline. I expect you'll get CBC Halifax around September 1.

Based on magnet's info, you might even get CTV a few months early, since they are switching towers. Hopefully they are able to get it up and running within safety code 6 limits.

Global will be almost impossible to pick up at a paltry 800 watts... too bad. And Halifax will be losing SRC, along with Charlottetown, Saint John, and Fredericton.
post #518 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-23, 12:13 AM
Veteran

Location: Toronto/Etobicoke - Bloor/Royal York/Queensway/Islington
Even some provincial capitals will be without CBC digital OTA - Quebec City loses its retransmitter of CBC Montreal, Victoria is right at the edge on Vancouver's contour.

Anyone know the fate of privately-owned CBC/SRC affiliates? I think there's CKSA in Lloydminster, AB, CKPR in Thunder Bay, ON, CKRT in Riviere-du-Loup, QC, CJDG and CKRN in Rouyn-Noranda/Val-d'OR, QC in the mandatory markets. Are they all on their own to convert?

A-D DB4e & CS5, CM 4221 & 7778, TiVo Premiere & Roamio
post #519 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-23, 12:15 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gran Chico View Post
Are they all on their own to convert?
Yes, they are all on their own to put money into the conversion.
post #520 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-23, 04:07 AM
Premium Supporter

Affiliates

On affiliates — that is the sillest part of the whole situation.
As far as I know, EVERY affiliate of CBC Television — including the very smallest ones — is converting to DTV.
Lloydminster, Thunder Bay and entire networks of French affiliates in Quebec in 2011; Kingston and Peterborough in 2012, if memory serves. (Am I missing any?)
Between the CBC's unwillingness to convert its repeater stations and the CRTC's hard line on analog stations in mandatory markets going off the air this August, this entire situation is an utter train wreck.
NOT looking forward to losing CBRFT in August.
I'm sharpening my proverbial pencil for a new round of letter writing.

Last edited by downbeat; 2011-03-23 at 05:45 AM.
post #521 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-23, 04:11 AM
Premium Supporter

Question on CBC's distribution network

As has been mentioned previously, the lifespan of CBC/Radio-Canada's analog distribution network is coming to the end of its useful life in 2013.
I wonder if *that* is a major motivating factor behind CBC's insistence that it won't convert its repeater stations to DTV? i.e. They have no way of providing an HD signal to remote locations, apart from off-air pickup?
post #522 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-23, 04:18 AM
Veteran

Maybe it's to simple of an idea... BUT... Cant they just find some free transponder up in the sky, uplink a feed there, and then pull the signal in on its distribution network?
post #523 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-23, 07:57 AM

Would you happen to have a link to their PDF so I can see how they're going to go about making the change?

I expect CTV to start testing their DTV signal soon and have it fully operational in early summer. I'll post pictures of the install and screencaps of the signal when I can.
post #524 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-23, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downbeat View Post
As has been mentioned previously, the lifespan of CBC/Radio-Canada's analog distribution network is coming to the end of its useful life in 2013.
I wonder if *that* is a major motivating factor behind CBC's insistence that it won't convert its repeater stations to DTV? i.e. They have no way of providing an HD signal to remote locations, apart from off-air pickup?
Quite the opposite. During the SMPTE meeting earlier this month, the CBC transmission director stated that they need to put all of their stations on satellite in order to get to all of the BDU's. This will give them a capacity crunch since all stations will be in HD. An audience member asked why not just run a data line to the transmitter for STL and this was deemed a non-starter since the BDU's need the same signal and are so numerous and spread out.
post #525 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-23, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Maybe it's to simple of an idea... BUT... Cant they just find some free transponder up in the sky, uplink a feed there, and then pull the signal in on its distribution network?
They could even subscribe to Shaw Direct or Bell TV and plug the receiver into the transmitter if they had to.
Closed Thread

Tags
cbc , crtc , digital conversion , ota

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in