CBC/SRC DTV Transition Status (closed) - Page 34 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #496 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-19, 11:52 AM
Veteran

I just watched a CBC show on their internet service. Picture and sound quality were significantly worse that ATSC or even a good NTSC signal. Then there is the bandwidth issue. The government wants to be sure that internet data caps are eliminated before allowing the CBC to eliminate OTA.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #497 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-19, 12:34 PM
Veteran

Re: Re: "It is hard to huddle the family around the computer to watch the latest episode of ... "

I guess i was more meaning for people who wouldn't typically visit a place like this board. Like at grandma's house where she is using OTA for her TV. She wouldn't dream of hooking her laptop up to the TV. I even offered it to her once and said I would make it easy for her but she wasn't interested. She loves the new digital OTA ATSC picture on her 46" plasma however!

As other have pointed out web PQ sucks! AQ as well but most ppl can hear past the AQ side of things if PQ is ok.
post #498 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-19, 01:45 PM
BCF

Thumbs down Very poor explanation CBC for London CBLN

Thanks Micah for posting CBC's response for London. Just like Panamark, I'm also mad (and disappointed) that the CBC won't be converting the London CBLN transmitter to digital... this is very sad, as ALL other conventional broadcasters WILL be converting to OTA digital in the London area.

As far as statistics go, everyone knows that 90% of all statistics are inaccurate.

This is the first time I have ever seen "7%" of the population that use an OTA antenna to receive TV mentioned... I usually see the "10%" stat referenced. The problem is that the "7%" or "10%" statistic is for the TOTAL Canadian population who receive their tv signal OTA, which MIGHT be true. BUT, if the CBC had a CLUE, London is immediately surrounded by rural areas, and just as El Gran Chico mentioned, smaller cities and towns in the London area (including the Middlesex, Elgin, Oxford, Lambton counties), there are LOTS of homes who have antennas installed to receive a TV signal. All you have do is drive by on the roads to see the antennas.

St.Thomas, Port Stanley, Strathroy, Exeter, Woodstock, and all other towns and rural homes in the London and surrounding area will be impacted by CBC's decision to not convert the CBLN transmitter. Therefore, I have to agree with El Gran Chico, that for the CBLN London viewing area, OTA usage is MUCH HIGHER than "7%"..... London & area population is around 500000 people.

IMHO, the CBC "official" explanation for dropping London from converting to digital is very poor.

Interest for receiving OTA dtv will grow over time, as the ATSC digital signal is superior in PQ and AQ over analog NTSC, digital cable, and satellite.

As far as cost to convert.... since Whitehorse, Yellowknife, and Iqaluit are no longer mandatory markets, as defined by the CRTC, then, as a Londoner, I'm expecting and calling on the CBC to redirect part of the funds to convert the London CBLN analog transmitter to digital. The money would have already been budgeted by the CBC to convert the Whitehorse, Yellowknife, and Iqaluit transmitters to digital anyways. If the CBC won't be converting the Whitehorse, Yellowknife, Iqaluit, nor London transmitters, then where is the budgeted CBC DIGITAL CONVERSION funds going to??

Now, how can the taxpayers of London, St.Thomas, Port Stanley, Strathroy, Exeter, Woodstock, and all other towns and rural homes in the surrounding area drop their TAX DOLLARS from going to the CBC??

post #499 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-19, 02:47 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

CBC Management in Robo-thought Mode Regarding DTV

The latest response from CBC management to one of our members (micah) contains the ongoing claim about supposedly declining OTA viewer counts. To me this is symptomatic of a mandated PR group-think in that corporation - there is no way that individual spokespersons and executives of that network would all arrive at that same specious conclusion independently. To me it says that there is an intentional effort to "stay on message", as they say in the PR world, regardless of evidence to the contrary. Perhaps I'll make sure to add a paragraph to every communication I make with the CBC that includes a refutation of such claims, whether that happens to be the topic of my missive or not. I think it's time that we stay on message and help them to stop patronizing us with such nonsense.

post #500 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-19, 02:47 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

There's a natural tendency in this thread to discuss alternatives to OTA DTV for London CBC viewers but please stay focused purely on the OTA aspects of the CBC's transition plans nationwide in this thread. The Pros and Cons thread has a lot of great background on the various alternatives to OTA.

Also regarding petitions, PR, etc., please keep in mind this rule of the forum: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...2&postcount=12

post #501 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-19, 03:48 PM

Quote:
The money would have already been budgeted by the CBC to convert the Whitehorse, Yellowknife, and Iqaluit transmitters to digital anyways.
Actually, their plan was to convert the Yellowknife transmitter only.
post #502 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-19, 05:23 PM

London Population counts in '000 & DTV costs

CBLFT-9 RC London n/a
CBLN-TV CBC London n/a
CFMT-1 OM1 London 687 $500ooo
CFPL-TV A London n/a (But in the CKVR Barrie app has pop count of 1.4 million)
CHCH-2 CHCH Alvinston 757 $400ooo
CICO-18 TVO London (TVO) 689 $311ooo
CITS-2 CTS London 475 $n/a
CITY-2 City Woodstock 1340 $500ooo
CJMT-1 OM2 London 689 $500ooo
CKXT-? Sun London n/a
CIII-TV GTN Kitchener 5347 $300ooo
CKCO-TV CTV Kitchener 4000 $1000ooo

The population Count for London would be around 687ooo+.

Read ya l8r,
Al

OTA: DB8 + Y5 2-6 + CM777. FTA: 30W + 72W + 87W + 97W
post #503 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-22, 05:55 PM
Veteran

CBET (CBC Windsor) flash cutting to digital on Sept 01, 2011

Just got some positive word from CBET (CBC Windsor). Looks as if they have given up on trying to get a 1 year extension and will be flash cutting. An exert from their e-mail reads as follows.

Quote:
CBET will also convert to Digital transmission come September 1 2011
and
Quote:
The CBET will always be 9.
As things stands, it looks as if all the Windsor locals are going through with the transition without delay.
post #504 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-22, 06:48 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by argilo View Post
Actually, their plan was to convert the Yellowknife transmitter only.
Exactly! Whitehorse and Iqaluit were to be shut down. Now the CBC can keep them on air.

Also, I have yet to hear anything official to say the CBC will change their original plan to convert CFYK-TV Yellowknife, though I suspect it will now stay analog only.
post #505 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-22, 07:30 PM
Veteran

Location: Toronto/Etobicoke - Bloor/Royal York/Queensway/Islington
Isn't CFYK-TV Yellowknife an originating station? Perhaps CBC is too far down the road to turn back. We'll see I guess.

From CBC's DTV FAQ's:

Quote:
We will continue to broadcast in analogue for as long as we can, but we cannot continue to do so forever. The useful life of CBC/Radio-Canada’s satellite distribution backbone for analogue transmission is approaching.
I understand this is scheduled to be decommissioned in December 2013, so the transmitters in non-mandatory markets don't have much of a lifespan anyway.

A-D DB4e & CS5, CM 4221 & 7778, TiVo Premiere & Roamio
post #506 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-22, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alebowgm View Post
As things stands, it looks as if all the Windsor locals are going through with the transition without delay.
With the only exception being CBEFT?

[SIZE=1]AD 91XG (UHF) / Antennacraft Y10-7-13 (VHF) / CM7777 Preamp
post #507 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-22, 09:12 PM
Veteran

I didn't inquire about CBEFT, as I just assumed if CBET was converting CBEFT would also convert. With that said I will follow-up.
post #508 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-22, 09:23 PM

Thanks alebowgm.

? I read last year that SRC would shut down completely here and not bother to convert. I just assumed this was still the case. Out of core ch54 analog cannot remain anyway, so that must mean SRC OTA will be discontinued here.

[SIZE=1]AD 91XG (UHF) / Antennacraft Y10-7-13 (VHF) / CM7777 Preamp
post #509 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-22, 09:26 PM
Premium Supporter

CBEFT is not converting as per their policy of only converting originating stations. This is confirmed by the coverage map they posted online. Go take a look if you have a moment. The coverage gaps for CBC inside Quebec and SRC in the rest of Canada are mind-boggling.
http://cbc.radio-canada.ca/dtv/CoverageMaps.shtml
post #510 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-22, 09:35 PM
Veteran

Yep I guess you are right. It is in French but... http://cbc.radio-canada.ca/tvn/winds...o-canada.shtml

Looks as if you live in Leamington you may be able to get the Chatham analogue repeater but Windsor will be SOL.
Closed Thread

Tags
cbc , crtc , digital conversion , ota

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in