CBC/SRC DTV Transition Status (closed) - Page 31 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #451 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-08, 10:23 PM

Who is Martin Marcotte and what is his role? Also, does anyone have a contact for him?

Winegard HD 7084P pointed at Paris and a CM7777
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-09, 12:03 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Glad to see TVO is not leaving anyone in the dark like another "public" broadcaster is ....
Did you hear the speaker from CBC fumble when questioned about moving remaining analog to below 52 -69, rather than replace with digital transmitters?

Paraphrasing...Something to the affect of ....yeah depending on how far away the new channel is from existing, we may need to replace some antennas to do it and we think to ourselves "why are we investing in analog in the year 2011"?
post #453 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-09, 12:19 AM
Veteran

Quote:
they plan to roll out Mobile ATSC in Toronto and Montreal approximately one year after the transition date.
Someone shoulda asked if they'll fix the EPG / PSIP by then

post #454 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-09, 12:29 AM
Veteran

Thumbs down

I just love how the CBC is catering to politicians by making sure capital cities get converted while larger nearby markets are going dark. Then they say they would rather spend the money on IP services for areas like Toronto. I'll bet Ottawa won't be far behind. Meanwhile, 40% of English speaking and 20% of French speaking Canadians will be without OTA service and the CBC isn't even trying to roll out new services in those areas. Does the phrase "hypocritical sycophant" mean anything to CBC management? It should since it applies.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #455 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-09, 12:17 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom View Post
Someone shoulda asked if they'll fix the EPG / PSIP by then
According to Marc (on this forum) the CBC plans to have that fixed this August when they get their new automation server.
post #456 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-09, 12:30 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by argilo View Post
Transmitters broadcasting on 52-69 will stay on air, being relocated to a lower channel but remaining analog.
I thought Broadcasting Information Bulletin CRTC 2010-719 said that out of band transmitters in non-mandatory markets will not be permitted to remain analog.

Last edited by roger1818; 2011-03-09 at 12:36 PM. Reason: add emphasis to the word not.
post #457 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-09, 12:32 PM
Veteran

That's what argilo reported: the transmitters will continue to broadcast in analog, but on new channels, below channel 52.
post #458 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-09, 12:35 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvlurker View Post
That's what argilo reported: the transmitters will continue to broadcast in analog, but on new channels, below channel 52.
But that is not permitted. They must go digital or off air.
post #459 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-09, 12:50 PM
Veteran

It's become pretty obvious by now that management at the CBC doesn't care about CRTC regulations or directives. They are going to do what they want, despite the law of the land. I think most Canadians have hated the directions that the CBC had taken the last few years and, apart from Hockey Night In Canada, couldn't care less about it's programming. It's time the government tells the CBC to either listen to the CRTC and Industry Canada or find another source of public funding.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #460 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-09, 01:07 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
But that is not permitted. They must go digital or off air.
No, that is only the case in mandatory markets. Outside mandatory markets, all that is prohibited is broadcasting anything about channel 51. Broadcasting in analog below channel 52 is permitted.

Neither Cloyne nor Belleville are mandatory markets.
post #461 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-09, 03:42 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by argilo View Post
Hard cut in Windsor, Charlottetown, Regina, St. John's and Yellowknife for the English service.
Just to clarify, these stations will be flash cutting on what date/year?
post #462 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-09, 03:47 PM

I missed the SMPTE meeting, I'll have to watch the web version when it becomes available. I believe it is Aug 31 2011.

CBC English Radio, TV and web streaming: Retired
post #463 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-09, 04:57 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvlurker View Post
No, that is only the case in mandatory markets. Outside mandatory markets, all that is prohibited is broadcasting anything about channel 51. Broadcasting in analog below channel 52 is permitted.
My interpretation of Broadcasting Information Bulletin CRTC 2010-719 is in non-mandatory markets if they are already broadcasting below channel 52, they don't need to convert. If they are on 52 or above, they must convert to digital (below 52) even in non-mandatory markets.
post #464 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-09, 07:37 PM
Veteran

I would bet CBC English OTA London area has more users then Radio Canada French in Toronto where they seem to be able to afford a digital transmitter for far users.

Attic CM 4248 at Buffalo,M4 at Buffalo.VHF yagis at Toronto .
post #465 of 944 (permalink) Old 2011-03-09, 08:52 PM
BCF

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah View Post
I've written Ed Holder twice already. Standard response is

But maybe if a few more of us write more frequently, it will result in something -- I'll write again.
Hey Micah, I have also submitted comments on the CBC website (as complaints) regarding the CBC transmitter in London. I also sent an email to MP Ed Holder.

You might have overlooked my question in post #434 in this thread, but here it is again:
Quote:
Micah, you mentioned last summer (posting on page 11 on this thread), that a reporter at the London Free Press newspaper contacted you for information on the CBC's OTA digital conversion plan. Has the London Free Press followed up at all with you? I never saw an OTA digital conversion article published in the London Free Press. The article should have been published in the paper by now, stating that the CBC is dropping their OTA transmitter in London, Ontario, and will not convert to digital. About 500,000 people in the London & area will lose reception of CBC over-the-air broadcasting.
I expect to see something to be published in the London Free Press regarding the DTV conversion in London & area.... and I expect to see some negative comments regarding CBC's decision to drop OTA broadcasting in London.
Closed Thread

Tags
cbc , crtc , digital conversion , ota

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in