CBC/SRC DTV Transition Status (closed) - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 944 (permalink) Old 2010-08-07, 01:36 PM
Premium Supporter

So ... is the CBC deliberately misinterpreting or disobeying the CRTC's rules to get out of converting some of its stations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 944 (permalink) Old 2010-08-07, 02:05 PM
Premium Supporter

That CBC Q&A is starting to annoy me.

Here's another blatant misrepresentation of the facts:

Quote:
3. (Excerpt) Over 92% of Canadians access their television signal via cable or satellite. The plan to transition to over-the-air digital television in key markets will support the modernization of CBC/Radio-Canada's multi-platform delivery system and enable the Corporation to continue to provide Canadians with high-quality content through the most appropriate and efficient means.
While my parents fall under the 92% of Canadians who receive TV service from a BDU, I can't see them paying Bell for extra receivers for their second TV in the basement and the third TV in the guest bedroom. Those two get their service from OTA broadcasting.
On to other things:

Quote:
9. The average cost of installing a new DTV transmitter is $1 million, although the cost can vary greatly from site to site. Each DTV transmitter station requires a customized design, involving the balance of such factors as antenna design, height on the tower, transmitter power, etc.
Seems on the high side. Any thoughts from Digital Home readers who are more well-versed on the cost of such installations?

Quote:
(Emphasis mine) 11. Continuing to offer over-the-air television – digital or otherwise – is important as Canadians continue their transition towards connection to the digital economy. Ultimately, however, it is in the best interest of our industry and of our society to see all Canadian homes connected to high-speed internet, broadband satellite or cable, and other future broadband consumer services, where the future of our industry clearly lies.
That being said, CBC/Radio-Canada believes in its responsibility to be anchored in communities across the county(sic) and be readily accessible to as many Canadians as possible. That’s why we’re going to be offering over-the-air digital service in all of those locations where we originate local programming.
If the CBC really believed what it said here, it would have put on the list certain stations that don't originate programming but that are part of the communities CBC should be serving.
I keep going back to CBVE Quebec City and CBRFT Calgary as examples, but they illustrate brilliantly the trouble with CBC's purported vision. Both these stations are the only local broadcaster in their markets serving a relatively small but socially significant number of minority-language populations. There are a handful more of this kind of station in the CBC/Radio-Canada network that operate in mandatory conversion markets — and they should all be converted.
post #33 of 944 (permalink) Old 2010-08-07, 03:42 PM
Veteran

Location: Toronto/Etobicoke - Bloor/Royal York/Queensway/Islington
Talking From the CBC Q&A

Quote:
It is a function of available capital. We don’t have the money available to get all 27 transmitters up and
running by 2011. That meant making choices. The size of markets, the number of over-the-air viewers, the
need to balance our corporate capital plan over the next two years, and the state of our analogue
equipment all factored into our decision making process.
Hmmm. The CRTC set the deadline in May 2007, meaning the CBC (and others) had 4.25 years to prepare. Pretty much zero happened in the first 3.25 years, so blame it on that it's too expensive to do in one year?!?

Wow, what competent management they have...

A-D DB4e & CS5, CM 4221 & 7778, TiVo Premiere & Roamio

post #34 of 944 (permalink) Old 2010-08-07, 04:00 PM

Well you gotta admit though, so far they're leading in the Canadian DTV transition.....so I'll cut them a little slack. :P

That said, again the grey water is whether mandatory markets close to other mandatory markets need to be served by seperate transmitters where one can easily cover both, then shutting the repeater down? Wouldn't that still comply with the CRTC rules or whatnot?

(Again no offense intended to KW people who know their OTA best. I'm just saying it's a possibility. Time will tell.)
post #35 of 944 (permalink) Old 2010-08-07, 09:55 PM

Kitchener currently has a local CBC French and English repeater in analog, which will likely be mothballed.

My thinking is that the CBC will simply up the ERP on both French and English stations out of Toronto and represent these facilities as serving KW. Similar to what Global did in their plans for Midland and area and south to lake Erie.

I'm confident that we've seen the end of days for ubiquitous OTA coverage.

Roof-top mounted Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
post #36 of 944 (permalink) Old 2010-08-08, 02:39 AM

"CBC Won't Meet Digital Deadline"

It appears that CBC will remain analogue until Aug 31, 2012 in the following markets : Yellowknife, Regina, Winnipeg, Windsor, Saint John/Fredericton, Charlottetown, Halifax and St. John's.

Radio Canada will also be delayed in Vancouver, Edmonton, Regina and Winnipeg

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2...#ixzz0vzRTRpwr
post #37 of 944 (permalink) Old 2010-08-08, 09:37 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gran Chico View Post
Hmmm. The CRTC set the deadline in May 2007, meaning the CBC (and others) had 4.25 years to prepare. Pretty much zero happened in the first 3.25 years, so blame it on that it's too expensive to do in one year?!?

Wow, what competent management they have...
They knew it was coming long before that.

The Broadcasting Act states (CBC's mandate) that CBC programming should be made available throughout Canada by the most appropriate and efficient means and as resources become available for the purpose.

The CBC receives ~ $1B from taxpayers and another ~ $500M from other sources per year. That's for radio and TV and both languages, but that is still a lot of money.

Either management should be replaced, or the CBC is trying to make some sort of political statement/move here. Either way, they're leveraging the average Canadian to achieve their goals.

Pathetic.
post #38 of 944 (permalink) Old 2010-08-08, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Well you gotta admit though, so far they're leading in the Canadian DTV transition.....so I'll cut them a little slack. :P
Well, that depends how you define leading. Rogers currently has the most digital transmitters (9) of any Canadian broadcaster, although three of those are repeaters.
post #39 of 944 (permalink) Old 2010-08-08, 11:58 PM

Well they're probably one of the few stations that have their PSIP right. Rogers just puts bull in theirs. It's about quality, not quantity.

That said, cutting them slack is not giving them a free pass. I'm actually disappointed at these latest developments.

But again I could just be biased, as I live in an area saturated with OTA already, so I won't have a problem post-2011, whereas I understand others will probably be quite frustrated.

Frankly it's the same issue with TVO. They're just using the lack of funds excuse again. CBC and TVO should have been the first ones to be live by now, at the very least in urban markets.
post #40 of 944 (permalink) Old 2010-08-09, 12:13 AM

Here's a frightening quote from the Q&A document:

Quote:
Under the current circumstances, communities not slated to have a digital transmitter up and running by August 2011 will indeed lose their signal until such time as a new transmitter is installed in their community. All transmitters will be installed by August 31, 2012.
So unless the CRTC grants them an exception, many cities will be without a CBC transmitter for up to a year. What kind of a plan is this? Will translators in mandatory markets (e.g. London) be going down too?

Another thing I noticed is that Saskatoon is missing from their list. Does CBKST not originate programming?
post #41 of 944 (permalink) Old 2010-08-09, 12:46 AM
Veteran

Location: Toronto/Etobicoke - Bloor/Royal York/Queensway/Islington
Sounds like a game of "chicken" is starting. If the CRTC turns down the CBC extension request (and I hope they do - no disrespect to those who live in these markets, I just don't want the CBC to get off the hook due to lack of planning), you can just see the finger pointing over CBC going dark in these cities.

I think if the request is granted, that will let the genie out of the bottle so to speak. Every other broadcaster will go for the same thing and the digital conversion will be dead for the foreseeable future. Aug. 31, 2011 will become the "vacate channels 52 to 69 date" and a new plan will be needed.

I don't hold the CRTC blameless in this either. They should have roadmapped the whole conversion and had EVERYONE's plan on the table a year ago and validated that they were doable technically and financially. This year and next should have been just about monitoring status and plan deviations for whatever reasons.

A-D DB4e & CS5, CM 4221 & 7778, TiVo Premiere & Roamio
post #42 of 944 (permalink) Old 2010-08-09, 01:59 AM
Premium Supporter

As much as I am a CBC fan, the CRTC should NOT let CBC off the hook for not meeting the deadline. Every other major broadcaster in the country — even those with financial difficulties — are going to make the deadline.
As people here and elsewhere have pointed out, the Corp. will have had about five years to get their transition plan in order and in the works.
All the humming and hawing at this point is shocking and inexcusable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by argilo
Another thing I noticed is that Saskatoon is missing from their list. Does CBKST not originate programming?
Indeed — you are partly correct. On paper, there is one CBC TV English station in Saskatchewan (CBKT Regina) but both Regina and Saskatoon contribute to production.
In any case, I'd add it to my list of errors and omissions.
post #43 of 944 (permalink) Old 2010-08-09, 03:02 AM

Some irony: When CRTC was deciding on the deadline, CBC recommended to the CRTC that the transition date be August 31, 2011.

They were also proposing to build 44 digital transmitters to serve 80% of the population. (Vs 27 currently planned).

Look on CBC's website under "Regulatory Submissions - 2006" under September 27, 2006.

---

I'm trying to figure out how CBC can seriously think that on top of permitting delayed implementation of the transition to digital in several mandatory markets, the CRTC would exempt CBC from having to convert to digital in 10 of 30 mandatory markets.

Quote:
Even after all 27 transmitters are active, only about 20 of the 30 markets the CRTC has designated as mandatory will be covered, said Steve Guiton, vice-president and chief regulatory officer for CBC/Radio-Canada. Some markets, such as big cities, require two transmitters to cover both English- and French-language services.

"We really couldn't afford to go any further and we cannot do less given the rules and regulations," Guiton said.

CRTC rules require broadcasters to either convert their over-the-air analog signals in markets designated as mandatory by the deadline, or cease airing them completely. CBC/Radio-Canada has also asked the CRTC for an exemption from converting in those extra 10 markets, Guiton said.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2...#ixzz0w5Si5MUP

Last edited by vcrite; 2010-08-09 at 03:27 AM.
post #44 of 944 (permalink) Old 2010-08-09, 11:39 AM

For me, the most annoying a scariest line is this one:
Quote:
Ultimately, however, it is in the best interest of our
industry and of our society to see all Canadian homes connected to high-speed internet, broadband
satellite or cable, and other future broadband consumer services, where the future of our industry clearly
lies.
I'm reading that a snub toward OTA users...and that they intend on some date, contrary to our belief's and views, in the future to pull the OTA plug...if they can hold off updating, and save some money until that "OTA death" date, then all the better to them. Shame, as personally, I'm seeing more and more poeple (including myself) erecting antennas, just because we are fed up with what the cable/sat providers are offering...and for how much.

Mayhem Creations-"The Art Of Emotional Creation"
sites.google.com/site/maycreates/Home -for viewing all my DIY projects
post #45 of 944 (permalink) Old 2010-08-09, 12:51 PM
Premium Supporter

The whole thing is a head-scratcher.
I can't wait for the CRTC intervention period to begin — assuming there is one! We should ALL be filing briefs to demand the CBC do the DTV transition properly.
They really have no excuse.
Closed Thread

Tags
cbc , crtc , digital conversion , ota

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in