CBC/SRC DTV Transition Status (closed) - Page 11 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #151 of 944 (permalink) Old 2010-08-20, 05:49 AM
Premium Supporter

Last week, I wrote here that I'd sent a missive to Radio-Canada on their flawed DTV transition.
Tonight, I sent off a letter to the English service (written from scratch by the way) to alert them to my concerns about their DTV transition plan, and to share with them some of my ideas.
Once again, I invite you to do the same. CBC/Radio-Canada will not know anyone cares about OTA television unless each and every one of us speaks up and tells them they need to take another look at their plan.
I'm sounding like a broken record on this point — but if we all value OTA television as much as I think we do, then it is a point worth making.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 944 (permalink) Old 2010-08-20, 12:00 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
While I agree that multicast services (use of sub channels) are a great option for small markets, London is not a small market. As BCF said, London is the 10th largest metropolitan region and nearby Kitchener is close behind at 11th. Combined they would jump to 7th largest (not really a valid comparison, but you get the point).

I do however think that shutting down the repeater could be a good thing. While it would be painful in the short term, if (and it is a big if) it resulted in London (or possibly London/Kitchener) getting their own CBC station, the pain might be worth it for the long term gain.

This is really a symptom of a bigger problem in Canada where there are no incentives for networks to convert their repeaters into stations when it to becomes viable. IMHO, we need to re-evaluate where the use of repeaters are appropriate. If you look at the small markets that have one or more successful local stations, they have fought tooth and nail to prevent the big networks from installing repeaters. This is necessary to keep programming options available and prevent unfair competition.
post #153 of 944 (permalink) Old 2010-08-20, 01:33 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

CBC's 1974 Accelerated Coverage Plan apparently being repudiated

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm023
isn't the CBC's mandate to be Free to All Canadians?
Technically under the Broadcasting Act the answer is no, but the CBC set it's own precedent with the 1974 CBC Accelerated Coverage Plan that was accepted by government, by which all locations across Canada with 500 or more people would get TV service in the appropriate language. The CBC even mentions that plan somewhat favourably in their earlier DTV transition documents, yet we're finding out now that they are walking away from such a national scope of free OTA broadcasting with the hope that people will simply pay the BDUs and thus get their CBC programming, which most probably will.

Here's a timeline of Canadian broadcasting:

OTA, Cable, and Satellite TV in Canada: the Historical View

post #154 of 944 (permalink) Old 2010-08-26, 06:36 PM
Veteran

Location: Toronto/Etobicoke - Bloor/Royal York/Queensway/Islington
Quote:
Originally Posted by micah View Post
Be sure to contact Angus McKinnon as well. He is the Senior Advisor, Media Relations and Issues Management of the CBC, and was left as the primary contact on this issue. His email can be found on their Release Plan.
There is also a CBC Ombudsman if you are not happy with the CBC's response to your concern. While it is usually about specific issues on a CBC program, the mandate of the ombudsman clearly includes:

Quote:
1. Audience complaints and comments

a.The Ombudsman acts as an appeal authority for complainants who are dissatisfied with responses from CBC program staff or management.

A-D DB4e & CS5, CM 4221 & 7778, TiVo Premiere & Roamio
post #155 of 944 (permalink) Old 2010-08-28, 12:54 PM

Census, Can be a tricking thing.

CBLN (CBC London) = London + Kitchener. Thats not true as the CBLN contours doesnt reach Kitchener. So really the amount people of CBLN gets is more like 600ooo. But if you change the CBC tower location. Theres no reason why Sarnia or Erie couldnt be reached from the London Tower.

Now, If you add Detroit population to CBET. Then CBET reaches far more people then London.

Also, about the smaller repeaters. CBLN doesnt have to upgrade other repeaters. However, One max tower should be able to support the CFPL CBC contours.

Read ya l8r,
Al

OTA: DB8 + Y5 2-6 + CM777. FTA: 30W + 72W + 87W + 97W
post #156 of 944 (permalink) Old 2010-08-30, 06:13 PM

CBC wants DTH Satellite providers to carry all

CBC's latest tactic: Get the satellite BDU's to carry all of their channels. Rather than deploy digital transmitters...
Quote:
Satellite television access to CBC/Radio-Canada:
It’s time to get it right
Are you a satellite subscriber deprived of your local CBC or Radio-Canada television station?

Satellite television (a.k.a. direct-to-home, or DTH) subscribers account for about one-third of total viewers across Canada. Many of these subscribers, however, don’t at present have access to their local CBC or Radio-Canada station.
This problem of accessibility is an issue that needs to be resolved. And there is hope. The situation exists because of an outdated regulatory policy. The CRTC will be reviewing that policy this fall, and it is now seeking input from the public until September 8.
If you are one of those satellite TV subscribers that doesn’t receive his/her local CBC/Radio-Canada station, now is your opportunity to have your voice heard.
The regulatory framework as it stands

Unlike cable companies, which can provide a distinct feed for each of the markets they cover, satellite providers beam down one signal that all Canadians from coast to coast must share.
Under the CRTC’s current policy framework, satellite service providers have only two obligations when it comes to carrying the signals of a given broadcaster. Unfortunately, carrying all local television stations is not one of them:
◦They are required to carry at least one TV station from each nationally-licensed television network and a minimum of 5 CBC and 5 Radio-Canada stations, including one from each time zone.
◦They must also carry at least as many English or French-language CBC and Radio-Canada stations as it distributes from any one private broadcasting group.
So what does that mean for Canadians?

The result of the CRTC’s rules is that today, Canada’s two major satellite television providers have chosen to leave out many CBC and Radio-Canada stations from their service. Bell TV carries only nine of 14 CBC stations and eight of 13 Radio-Canada stations, while Shaw Direct carries only 10 of 14 CBC stations and six of 13 of Radio-Canada stations.

Here’s how the “missing” stations break down:

CBC
Radio-Canada

Bell TV (5)
Fredericton/Saint John
Charlottetown
Windsor
Regina
Edmonton
Shaw Direct (4)
St. John’s
Fredericton/Saint John
Charlottetown
Windsor
Bell TV (5)
Rimouski
Chicoutimi (Saguenay)
Trois-Rivières
Toronto
Regina

Shaw Direct (7)
Rimouski
Chicoutimi (Saguenay)
Trois-Rivières
Quebec
Sherbrooke
Toronto
Regina

Recent policy changes aren’t enough

As of September 1, 2011, satellite TV providers will be obligated to carry at least one TV station per province (and only 2 stations from the 4 Atlantic provinces) owned by each major Canadian broadcasting ownership group. CBC and Radio-Canada are considered to be two distinct ownership groups.
While this is a step in the right direction, it will not guarantee citizens access to their local CBC or Radio-Canada station. That’s because CBC and Radio-Canada operate multiple stations in certain provinces.
The challenge is particularly acute in Quebec, where Radio-Canada operates six TV stations. Bell TV currently carries only three of those. Shaw Direct carries only one. But more than that, the current rules do not ensure a diversity of voices in that province: Shaw Direct, for example, carries five of the six TVA stations, and four of the five V (formerly TQS) stations.
That story is not limited to Quebec. Bell TV does not carry the CBC signal in four provincial capitals, like Edmonton, for example, a market that represents over 1 million Canadians.
What can you do?

If you’re a satellite subscriber who doesn’t receive his or her local CBC and/or Radio-Canada station, now is your chance to let the regulator know about your concerns. Add your voice to the issue.

Submit your comments to the CRTC before September 8th. Scroll down to Notice #2010-488 and click the button in the left column to access the comment submission form).
http://cbc.radio-canada.ca/distributionissues/

Roof-top mounted Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR

Last edited by stampeder; 2010-08-31 at 09:44 AM. Reason: url link added
post #157 of 944 (permalink) Old 2010-08-30, 06:35 PM
Premium Supporter

Even there, they've got it wrong.
All CBC/Radio-Canada main network services should be available UNENCRYPTED through a free-to-air satellite service. That way, ALL Canadians will have access to their national public broadcaster.
But the CRTC (and the subscription satellite providers) probably won't like that idea.
And because some 80% of Canadians live in or near major centres, CBC/Radio-Canada should properly roll out its terrestrial OTA services such that most Canadians will get CBC without the need for satellite or cable.
post #158 of 944 (permalink) Old 2010-08-31, 01:19 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by downbeat View Post
Even there, they've got it wrong.
All CBC/Radio-Canada main network services should be available UNENCRYPTED through a free-to-air satellite service. That way, ALL Canadians will have access to their national public broadcaster.
If CBC turned into a PBS-clone, that might be feasable. The problem with UNENCRYPTED satellite is that the signal cannot be controlled that tightly. Forget about carrying any regional NHL games, because people on different sides of the provincial border are supposed to be seeing different games. Forget about Wheel of Fortune, etc, because most Canadians live near the US border, and an unencrypted satellite transmission WILL spill over the border if a reasonable signal is beamed towards Vancouver or Winnipeg or Sault Ste Marie or Fort Frances or Toronto, etc., etc.

OTA brings you crystal-clear, uncompressed HDTV, no simsubbing, and the real SuperBowl commercials. You can't get all that on satellite... OR CABLE.
post #159 of 944 (permalink) Old 2010-08-31, 02:28 PM

Would it not be feasable to have a programmable [filter] chip in the satellite controller box that would filter 'out-of-zone' network stations, and only allow the [networks'] local channels to be viewed?

It seems to me this is an issue the local stations have been complaining about for years...having satellite viewers watching out-of-province stations they wouldn't normally get, thus the local stations miss out on advertising revenue etc.
post #160 of 944 (permalink) Old 2010-08-31, 02:31 PM
Veteran

Well the CRTC decided to allow out of market stations to air on BDUs as they please. If they refined the rules similar to how it is in the States, then it solves the issue. Just make DMAs to protect local TV and vola.
post #161 of 944 (permalink) Old 2010-08-31, 04:07 PM

London Free Press

Hello all,

A reporter at the London Free Press contacted me today for information on the CBC's current plan. If anyone else from the area would like to speak with him send me a private message and I'll pass your name and number along.

I'm not entirely sure what the angle of the article is (in theory it should be impartial ) but he was asking for an explanation in lamens terms of how things work now, what will happen at the transition, and why it matters.

Cheers!
post #162 of 944 (permalink) Old 2010-08-31, 04:12 PM

While I'm not happy with the CBC for leaving London and other regions "in the dark" post-DTV transition, one aspect of this issue deserves mention: The federal government hasn't committed any of the funds it will accept from the 700MHz auction--which should be in the billions. Even a fraction of that money would completely pay for the DTV transition. Yet not a penny will go to broadcasters.

Roof-top mounted Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
post #163 of 944 (permalink) Old 2010-08-31, 05:49 PM
BCF

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah View Post
Hello all,

A reporter at the London Free Press contacted me today for information on the CBC's current plan. If anyone else from the area would like to speak with him send me a private message and I'll pass your name and number along.

I'm not entirely sure what the angle of the article is (in theory it should be impartial ) but he was asking for an explanation in lamens terms of how things work now, what will happen at the transition, and why it matters.

Cheers!
Hi micah,

You can always refer the London Free Press Reporter to this site, and specifically this thread, regarding CBC's decision to essentially drop the City of London (which is the tenth largest city in Canada) in their DTV plans.

Perhaps some of our comments here may make it into the LFP news article?! It would help make the general population aware of what the CBC has decided.

I find it totally ridiculous that the CBC won't be upgrading London's OTA transmitter to DTV by August 31, 2010 (which is exactly 1 year from now, as of this posting!!). If there was a way, I would like to drop my tax dollars from going to the CBC, as the CBC is mainly funded by taxpayers.

Just London's OTA transmitter from the Byron tower (which is owned by TVO), currently services the City of London of about ~355000, plus surrounding area, which is a total of about 460000 people, according to Population and dwelling counts, for census metropolitan areas and census agglomerations, 2006 and 2001 censuses - 100% data on the Statistics Canada website.
post #164 of 944 (permalink) Old 2010-08-31, 06:31 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald_Boar View Post
CBLN (CBC London) = London + Kitchener. Thats not true as the CBLN contours doesnt reach Kitchener.
I never suggested that the current contours serve both metropolitan regions. Instead I suggested that a new station (with a transmitter in say Woodstock) could.
post #165 of 944 (permalink) Old 2010-08-31, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF View Post
You can always refer the London Free Press Reporter to this site, and specifically this thread, regarding CBC's decision to essentially drop the City of London (which is the tenth largest city in Canada) in their DTV plans.

Perhaps some of our comments here may make it into the LFP news article?! It would help make the general population aware of what the CBC has decided.
I'll be sure to point him here, but he found me on the forums, so I'm pretty sure he has already seen this thread. I think he wanted to talk to a real person, not my avatar on the forums. Anyway, if anyone is interested, let me know.
Closed Thread

Tags
cbc , crtc , digital conversion , ota

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in