OTA Station Status: Ottawa, Watertown NY, S. Colton NY - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 2843 (permalink) Old 2006-08-09, 05:38 PM

Marc posted in another thread that the testing of CBC-HD will start in September. It will take about 3 weeks.

See http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/for...3&postcount=85
for the announcement...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 2843 (permalink) Old 2006-08-14, 08:36 AM
gmd

WWTI-DT from Ottawa?

My receiver registered WWTI-DT (50-01) on channel 21 last night, but I didn't get to see the channel.

I think it wouldn't take much for the Watertown stations to be freely available to Ottawa, if they wanted/could.

Ottawa is the 4th DMA in Canada, while Watertown is like #178 or #182 depending on the year... Extra revenues from publicity would be welcomed, I would think.

What could help? Convince *one* of the channels (and let the other ones follow)?

-gmd
post #78 of 2843 (permalink) Old 2006-08-15, 11:25 PM

CBOT-DT and CBOFT-DT transmitters up!

I just did a scan to see if anything new showed up on my DTV receiver, and both channel 22 (CBOFT) and channel 25 (CBOT) have test patterns up! Counting the days until we have real HDTV programming being broadcast locally in Ottawa...

Dave

post #79 of 2843 (permalink) Old 2006-08-16, 12:15 PM
gmd

I guess gone are the days of getting WWNY (22).

I hope CBOFT-DT (22) does not affect the reception of WNPI-DT (23) and my chances of one day getting WWTI-DT (21).

You can be sure that I will check that out this afternoon!

-gmd
post #80 of 2843 (permalink) Old 2006-08-16, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd
I guess gone are the days of getting WWNY (22).
I think you mean WVNY, and yup, it sure looks that way. And wouldn't you know it, WVNY's DT channel is 13, so we won't be getting that for a long time either (until CJOH shuts down their analog transmitter at least).

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd
I hope CBOFT-DT (22) does not affect the reception of WNPI-DT (23) and my chances of one day getting WWTI-DT (21).
-gmd
WNPI-DT was coming in fine yesterday, wedged between the new CBOFT-DT and TVO (24). Somehow adjacent channel interference doesn't seem to be as big an issue with DTV. I'm going to bring a spectrum analyzer home one day soon and see how busy that part of the spectrum looks now. I'll post any interesting findings.

Dave
post #81 of 2843 (permalink) Old 2006-08-16, 02:35 PM

And then WCAX will be moving to 22, so you won't get it anymore either.
post #82 of 2843 (permalink) Old 2006-08-16, 02:37 PM

Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveM
I just did a scan to see if anything new showed up on my DTV receiver, and both channel 22 (CBOFT) and channel 25 (CBOT) have test patterns up! Counting the days until we have real HDTV programming being broadcast locally in Ottawa...

Dave
What can I say....

Finally Ottawa may finally reach the OTA digital world!
post #83 of 2843 (permalink) Old 2006-08-16, 04:38 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

In Vancouver CBC-HD had a 1-800 number on the screen during the 3 week test period. Is that showing up on Ottawa CBC-HD's test pattern?

Also, my French-speaking skills are very rusty, so I'm wondering if someone can update the French forum about SRC-HD in Ottawa?

post #84 of 2843 (permalink) Old 2006-08-16, 06:04 PM

Yes, the 1-800 number appears on both channels. The CBOT-DT (English) test card is a SMPTE test pattern with a white morphing cloud-thing and the CBC logo in the middle, "CBOT-DT Tranmitter Test" across the top, and the 1-800 phone number in the bottom right corner.

The SRC-DT test card is quite different. Red background with white text alternating French/English every few seconds that mentions Radio Canada High Definition Television French Service (CBOFT-DT) and that its broadcasting from Camp Fortune on UHF 22. Both have a 1 kHz tone as well.

I'll see what I can scrape together for the French forum.

Dave
post #85 of 2843 (permalink) Old 2006-08-16, 09:30 PM
gmd

This is bizarre, I see nothing on 22. The tuner does say "success"...

-gmd
post #86 of 2843 (permalink) Old 2006-08-17, 09:51 AM
OTA Forum Moderator

You're just not getting a "lock". If the signal strength seems high, you might have a multipathing issue.

post #87 of 2843 (permalink) Old 2006-08-17, 09:59 AM
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveM
Yes, the 1-800 number appears on both channels. The CBOT-DT (English) test card is a SMPTE test pattern with a white morphing cloud-thing and the CBC logo in the middle, "CBOT-DT Tranmitter Test" across the top, and the 1-800 phone number in the bottom right corner.
So they're using the same one as Vancouver for CBC-HD:

http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/for...5&postcount=10

Could someone please post a photo of the SRC-HD screen(s) and maybe some pics showing your tuner's strength and info screens for both CBC-HD and SRC-HD too?

post #88 of 2843 (permalink) Old 2006-08-17, 10:17 AM
gmd

On CBOT-DT, picture is identical to CBUT-DT's (same phone number?) and program information shows up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampeder
You're just not getting a "lock". If the signal strength seems high, you might have a multipathing issue.
Sometimes I get no signal whatsoever; other times, it reports success but no channel gets added to the list.

-gmd
post #89 of 2843 (permalink) Old 2006-08-17, 10:19 AM
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd
Sometimes I get no signal whatsoever; other times, it reports success but no channel gets added to the list.
What is your OTA gear like, and are there big trees or anything else between you and the transmitter? You've been waiting a long time for this, so let's get it debugged!

post #90 of 2843 (permalink) Old 2006-08-17, 11:23 AM
gmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampeder
What is your OTA gear like, and are there big trees or anything else between you and the transmitter? You've been waiting a long time for this, so let's get it debugged!
The tower is 14.56 miles away. Using GPS values in Google Maps, I can see that between my house (Blackburn Hamlet, higher) and the tower, there's a section of Montreal road (lower), Vanier (?), the Ottawa and Gatineau rivers, highways 50 and 5 and Gatineau Park.

CBOT-DT comes in at 65% (quality is 100%) if antenna is pointing at or away from tower; don't know what is it elsewhere on the dial.

(I can get WNPI and WCFE to be at 100%, 100% and 75% of the time, respectively)

I'm 15.29 miles from the Manotick tower.

-gmd

Tags
antenna , atsc , ota

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in