OTA Station Status: Ottawa, Watertown NY, S. Colton NY - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 2843 (permalink) Old 2006-07-20, 03:41 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
Using Roger's numbers and the lat/long in the URL (plus the lat/long of Canal/Bank St.) it is telling me you would have to have your antenna at about 450 ft above sea level to clear the hills to the south. I took into account the curvature of the earth and atmospheric refraction. That is not to say you will not get a signal at a lower elevation though. You just will not get a direct signal.
450 ft above sea level??? If you consider that Marc said that his house is 192 ft above sea level that means he would need an antenna that is 258 ft high (or about 230 ft if he put it on his roof). I am not sure if his neighours would appreciate the asthetics of such an antenna.

He will probably have a better chance of picking up WCFE-DT[38] from Plattsburgh when it goes full power. The tower is 737.0 m above average terrain and it is at an elevation of 3676 ft above sea level. In good weather I can pick up WCFE-TV[57] in Stittsville and I am even further away and don't have a very good antenna for deep fringe reception.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 2843 (permalink) Old 2006-07-20, 08:56 AM

I assumed when I mentioned the tower height you would immediately realize it is out of reach. I admire your determination though.

Plus my software is only a starting point. I don't know enough about specific 'ground effects' and multipath at those frequencies to say whether the numbers are realistic. I suspect they are close enough.
post #63 of 2843 (permalink) Old 2006-07-20, 09:15 AM
gmd

Quote:
He will probably have a better chance of picking up WCFE-DT[38] from Plattsburgh when it goes full power.
You mean it's not full power? (huh???)

BTW, HD w/5.1 sure looked nice yesterday. Can't wait for the transition to take place.

I hope together we figure it out and why you don't get it. These elevation maps sure look neat!

-gmd

post #64 of 2843 (permalink) Old 2006-07-20, 09:17 AM

WCFE 38 is at 100kW. It's not gonna have more power.
post #65 of 2843 (permalink) Old 2006-07-20, 03:48 PM

more kw needed

If WCFE is broadcasting at 100kw, how come WNPI is only at 40kw? That's if I'm readying the database charts well (I'm a newbie with all this, in case anyone noticed before.)

As for me it does not seem to matter, because I'm unable to get any of these two stations' analog or digital channel. Maybe if they broadcasted higher watts? I just do not know if that would make any difference since I'm so far north, in a deep valley near the Ottawa River. (191ft see level)
post #66 of 2843 (permalink) Old 2006-07-20, 10:57 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by yipikyer
WCFE 38 is at 100kW. It's not gonna have more power.
According to w9wi.com WCFE only has a "Construction Permit" to broadcast at 100kW and aren't yet licenced to actually broadcast. If you are receiving a signal, this information must be out of date.
post #67 of 2843 (permalink) Old 2006-07-20, 10:58 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
Plus my software is only a starting point.
Jake, May I ask what software you are using? It looks really cool.
post #68 of 2843 (permalink) Old 2006-07-21, 09:23 AM

The software is Global Mapper. You can get US and Canadian digital elevation maps freely from the respective government website. GM runs in trial mode so you can only load 4 layers at a time. I just started using it myself and discovered it has a Transmitter Line of Sight Tool. Basically, you enter the lat/long of the transmitter plus height of tower and it will generate a coverage map using the supplied DEMs.

I wanted to point out that many of the transmitters mentioned in this thread are directional so power is not going to help you if it directed to the south. Stampeder I recall a website that showed the various lobes for each transmitter. Do you remember it?
post #69 of 2843 (permalink) Old 2006-07-21, 11:03 AM
gmd

post #70 of 2843 (permalink) Old 2006-07-21, 02:05 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

FCC TV Query site: tv station database

The FCC uses that Tiger database tool for their own purposes too. I find it really slow.

Here's the official FCC way to get more specific station info, including contour maps:

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/audio/tvq.html

Hint: you don't need to fill in all the blanks. You can just put the call sign letters in. Entering WCFE led me to this map:

Note that the map does not give the absolute finite coverage area of the station. It gives a specific expected range at a specific strength (in this case 41dBu) so the actual range is much further. Basically any tv receiver within the circled area should get a clear and reliable signal assuming all is set up properly.

post #71 of 2843 (permalink) Old 2006-07-22, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxg123
Norwood, NY, sits at around 330ft. I just do not know how high the WNPI broadcasting tower goes.
WNPI's xmitter is not in Norwood, it is located in Colton, NY.

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...=TV164508.html
post #72 of 2843 (permalink) Old 2006-07-22, 07:36 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

But from Ottawa they'd be on almost the exact same azimuth, I believe.

post #73 of 2843 (permalink) Old 2006-07-27, 02:34 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Predictions on CBOT-DT (CBC-HD) Coverage Area?

In case you missed the great news:

http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/for...ad.php?t=45612

Based on where you are and your current reception of CBOT, any predictions on what reception of CBOT-DT will be like for your location?

post #74 of 2843 (permalink) Old 2006-07-27, 02:50 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampeder
Based on where you are and your current reception of CBOT, any predictions on what reception of CBOT-DT will be like for your location?
Probably CICO-TV-24 (TVO) is the best station to predict reception of either CBOT-DT or CBOFT-DT as they are close to the same frequency and are broadcast from the same tower.

Regardless, I suspect I won't have any troubles at all as both CBOT and TVO come in well, even with rabbit ears.
post #75 of 2843 (permalink) Old 2006-08-09, 03:32 PM

anyone have the exact date of when CBC-HD will be available OTA in Ottawa?

Tags
antenna , atsc , ota

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in