OTA Station Status: Ottawa, Watertown NY, S. Colton NY - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 2844 (permalink) Old 2006-03-11, 06:17 PM
Veteran

Foxfan Utica and Syracuse are way too far away from Ottawa for reliable reception.

Attic CM 4248 at Buffalo,M4 at Buffalo.VHF yagis at Toronto .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 2844 (permalink) Old 2006-03-12, 09:43 PM

Damn. Then what are NBC and Fox waiting for to find new affiliate stations in Watertown?

I might need to move to Ottawa and I can't go without OTA. Just seeing the Global TV billboards is bad enough. I don't need to start enduring their simsubs again!
post #33 of 2844 (permalink) Old 2006-03-15, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfan
Damn. Then what are NBC and Fox waiting for to find new affiliate stations in Watertown?

I might need to move to Ottawa and I can't go without OTA. Just seeing the Global TV billboards is bad enough. I don't need to start enduring their simsubs again!

Fox has an affilate in Watertown, it is Low Power ch. 28. However it is carried on WWNY's CBS digital feed as a sub channel in SD only not HD. I think anyone would have a hard time pulling Watertown in from Ottawa, I am in Ogdensburg, NY and I have a large antenna and amp to get it. No NBC in Watertown and probably never. Cable in Northern NY either carries NBC from Syracuse or Plattsburg. OTA in St. Lawrence county for NBC comes from what the Ottawa stations carry.

post #34 of 2844 (permalink) Old 2006-03-15, 03:42 PM

I thought Watertown would be easy to receive in Ottawa. I was able to start pulling them in using rabbit ears in the car even 30 minutes east of Prescott (using a DC/AC car adapter to power my Samsung 151.

I knew there was a LP Fox affiliate in Watertown, but it is meaningless to me without going full-power HD.

I have a feeling Watertown 'might' get an NBC affiliate after the digital transition. The area currently receives NBC from Channel 5 (WPTZ) from Plattsburgh, but their digital transmitter will be in Vermont instead of NY, so thee signal will be lost west of the Adirondacks. Hopefully that will create demand for a full-power NBC station in Watertown.

If I end up moving to Ottawa I guess I'll have to go back to Starchoice...
post #35 of 2844 (permalink) Old 2006-04-01, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

I haven't seen it yet: what kind of programming is channel 67 (CDTV) running in Ottawa when it is up and running? Is it mostly HDTV show-off stuff, or are they actually running HDTV programming taken from elsewhere?
post #36 of 2844 (permalink) Old 2006-04-01, 05:06 PM

CDTV test channel in Ottawa

I've only ever seen the HDTV show-off stuff like a fly-over across Canada and some footage that looks like it's been borrowed from PBS. Since they're borrowing CITY's DTV channel, it would be nice if they switched over to CITY some time soon

I'm anxious to get something OTA other than the two PBS stations from upstate NY. Anyone heard an update about the transmitters that were rumoured to be headed to Ottawa this summer?

Dave
post #37 of 2844 (permalink) Old 2006-04-01, 07:34 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

CBOT-DT plans

Check the CBC HD thread here at DHC to see what the latest info is on CBOT-DT's go-live date. CBC-staffer Marc lets us know as he finds these things out.

post #38 of 2844 (permalink) Old 2006-06-09, 05:31 PM

Exclamation Ottawa/Watertown, NY: OTA Station Status/Changes/Updates

I'm in the same boat here is Stittsville. Even when I had a rotatable antenna, I got WVNY-22 much better and more regularily than WWTI-50. Besides distance, you have to take into account ERP (effective radiated power), transmitter antenna pattern, height of transmitter, and terrain in between you and the transmitter.

I'm in the process of getting SPLAT up and running on my PC. Anyone else played with this? It's a "Signal Propagation Loss And Terrain" analysis tool that takes all these into account. Haven't got it running yet, but the screen shots on the website look tantalizing.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd
Not usually. I get WVNY [22] 5 fimes more often and much clearer.

-gmd
post #39 of 2844 (permalink) Old 2006-06-09, 05:37 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveM
I'm in the process of getting SPLAT up and running on my PC. Anyone else played with this?
I read about it on Doug Lung's website, but haven't tried it yet. It looks terrific:

http://www.tvtechnology.com/features...02.02.05.shtml

post #40 of 2844 (permalink) Old 2006-06-09, 05:43 PM

Wwny Erp

Hi Roger, according to the FCC website, WWNY is still transmitting only 135 kW under the digital Special Temporary Authority, and they have a directional antenna with it's backside pointing at Ottawa. The ERP towards Ottawa is only around 30 kW right now which isn't a whole lot for that distance. On the other hand, WNPI-23DT transmits 40 kW omni and I get it clearly almost without exception (but it's a fair bit closer).

As far as I know, whenever I've been able to get WWNY-35DT, they've got CBS on 7-1 and FOX on 7-2.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818
I was just noticing this on WWNY's website and according to W9WI.com, WWNY-DT [35] is transmitting at 1000 kW (are they up to full power yet?) as compared to 316.0 kW for WWNY-TV [ 7]. Has anyone been able to pull this in from Ottawa? Are they always transmitting both CBS and FOX?
post #41 of 2844 (permalink) Old 2006-07-12, 10:09 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
CBOT-25DT isn't on air yet (http://www.cbc.ca/hdtv says fall 2006). Your best bet would probably be to pick up WNPI-23DT. Set your tuner for 23.1 (or analog 18) and start pointing your antenna just east of the Manotick tower and adjust the antenna until the signal strength is strongest.

What type of antenna do you have? How is it mounted? Are there any obvious obstructions (tall buildings or trees)? What analog US stations can you get?
post #42 of 2844 (permalink) Old 2006-07-12, 10:10 AM
gmd

Bonjour Marc,

you best bet is WNPI-DT on channel 23. Point your antenna in SSE direction.

As for getting CBC 25 (why would you want that?? ), you're ahead of the game. Plan was for early 2006, then Feb. 2006, April 2006, June 2006, and now on cbc.ca/hdtv:

Ottawa: 25 (coming fall 2006)

From this, I read that it won't be until mid-December that we'll see the Leafs loose in HD OTA.

-gmd
post #43 of 2844 (permalink) Old 2006-07-12, 10:13 AM
gmd

Hi Roger!

Quote:
Your best bet would probably be to pick up WNPI-23DT. Set your tuner for 23.1
sounds like we're in sync!

-gmd
post #44 of 2844 (permalink) Old 2006-07-12, 10:44 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Omni 1 & 2 OTA-DTV Soon???

When looking at the Listing of Ontario OTA Television Stations, all of the DT stations in Ottawa (in fact all of Ontario outside of Toronto/Hamilton) are listed with an elevation and power of 0 except CBOFT-22DT, CBOT-25DT, CFMT-27DT and CJMT-66DT. The first two are CBC (french and english) which I know are scheduled to be on air later this year, but the last two (Omni 1 and 2) I haven't heard anything about.

Does this mean that Omni 1 and 2 will be broadcasting in DTV in the not so distant future? Does anyone have any details?
post #45 of 2844 (permalink) Old 2006-07-12, 03:54 PM
WZ1

Quote:
When looking at the Listing of Ontario OTA Television Stations, all of the DT stations in Ottawa (in fact all of Ontario outside of Toronto/Hamilton) are listed with an elevation and power of 0 except CBOFT-22DT, CBOT-25DT, CFMT-27DT and CJMT-66DT. The first two are CBC (french and english) which I know are scheduled to be on air later this year, but the last two (Omni 1 and 2) I haven't heard anything about.

Does this mean that Omni 1 and 2 will be broadcasting in DTV in the not so distant future? Does anyone have any details?
Used to live in Ottawa..

Those OMNI channels are not even Digital here in Toronto.. so i highly doubt Ottawa.. last i heard OMNI will be digital in a year or so.

Tags
antenna , atsc , ota

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in