OTA Station Status: SW Ontario, Lk. Erie, Lk. Huron - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 1435 (permalink) Old 2008-12-19, 12:36 PM

that won't be an issue, becuase WTVG-DT will be moving back to 13 after the conversion to digital television. however, i wish the FCC would stop licensing television stations on the same channel closer than 140 miles apart... toledo and detroit are only 64 or so...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1435 (permalink) Old 2008-12-29, 03:18 PM
JMC

Hi everyone, FYI WDIV 4.2 is now running "THIS TV". I'm watching some old Bert Reynolds movies.
post #63 of 1435 (permalink) Old 2008-12-30, 07:54 PM
BCF

For CBC HD OTA in London area, I received the following response when I emailed CBC in November 2008:
Quote:
We appreciate your interest in CBC Television.

CBC is currently broadcasting in over the air high definition in Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa and Vancouver. Beyond that, no further decisions have been made regarding further expansion as yet. Any further new transmitters would likely be placed in major centres of high population, but it's premature to speculate on possible locations for future transmitters at the moment, or on exactly when additional facilities might be installed.

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) has established a date of August 31, 2011 as the deadline to end analog TV transmission in Canada. HD digital expansion projects for CBC will not be put in place until after this deadline.

Further information on the transition to high definition digital television in Canada can be obtained through Industry Canada's Office of Consumer Affairs at <http://www.ic.gc.ca/epic/site/oca-bc.nsf/en/h_ca00000e.html>.

Thank you for writing to CBC.

Kim Belle
Communications Assistant
CBC Audience Relations

Last edited by stampeder; 2008-12-31 at 01:25 AM. Reason: quoting fixed

post #64 of 1435 (permalink) Old 2008-12-30, 08:54 PM

Quote:
The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) has established a date of August 31, 2011 as the deadline to end analog TV transmission in Canada. HD digital expansion projects for CBC will not be put in place until after this deadline.
Thats possibly the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Sadly, its quite unlikely we'll see any Canadian OTA available to the Windsor area at least in my lifetime.
post #65 of 1435 (permalink) Old 2008-12-31, 12:25 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Translation: we're not doing a damn thing until government tells us to.

It's unfortunate. CBC HD picture quality is stunning. Those living more than a 100 km from Toronto (or any other centre with CBC DTV) are really missing out.

Of course, the other Canadian networks have the same attitude so those same viewers are out of luck as well.
post #66 of 1435 (permalink) Old 2009-01-02, 12:53 AM

i wonder... will the ".2 Digital Network" be relegated to .3 on WDIV, or will "This TV" be shuffled in feburary to .3?
post #67 of 1435 (permalink) Old 2009-01-05, 01:45 PM

Well, at least the CBC is consistent.....

The reply received by BCF above is almost verbatim what I received a year ago, from the exact same CBC representative.

And yes, it seems hard to understand how the CBC can simply say no further digital transmitters will go up until after the analog ones go off the air.

I guess as usual, it's all about the money. Is it possible the CBC is just waiting until the government realises what will happen on 8/31/11, and decided to fund more digital transmitters?
post #68 of 1435 (permalink) Old 2009-01-09, 12:01 PM

Canadian stations

CHWI-TV broadcasts from the Stevenson transmitters, a few miles north-east of Wheatley. CIII-TV-22 (Global's repeater for chatham and leamington) also broadcasts from here, though it's bi-directional (aimed NE to Chahtam, and SW to Leamington, which explains why windsorites like me have crap reception on it). You should get an omnidirectional antenna if you can. you'll then pick up these stations (aranged by direction):

North/Northwest:
Note: most detroit stations broadcast from the Southfield transmitter farm, while the windsor-area stations broadcast from transmitters near McGregor. exceptions to this are CHWI-TV-60, which broadcasts from the Victoria Park Place apartment building in downtown windsor, TBN broadcasts from the renaissance center, while WPXD broadcasts from a transmitter between ann arbor and lansing)
2 WJBK (FOX Detroit)
4 WDIV (NBC Detroit)
7 WXYZ (ABC Detroit)
9 CBET (CBC Windsor)
20 WMYD (MyNetwork TV Detroit)
23 WUDT-CA (Univision Detroit)
31 WPXD (ION Ann Arbor)
32 CICO-TV-32 (TVO Windsor)
38 WADL (Ind. Mt. Clemens)
50 WKBD (The CW Detroit)
54 CBEFT (CBC French Windsor)
56 WTVS (PBS Detroit)
60 CHWI-TV-60 (A Windsor)
62 WWJ-TV (CBS Detroit)
66 W66BV (TBN Detroit)

Southwest:
11 WTOL (CBS Toledo)
13 WTVG (ABC Toledo)
24 WNWO (NBC Toledo)
28 WGBU (PBS Bowling Green)
30 WGTE (PBS Toeldo)
36 WUPW (FOX Toledo)
48 WMNT-CA (MyNetwork TV Toledo)

Southeast:
3 WKYC (NBC Cleveland)
5 WEWS (ABC Cleveland)
8 WJW-TV (FOX Cleveland)
19 WOIO (CBS Cleveland)
43 WUAB (MyNetwork TV Cleaveland)
55 WBNX (The CW Cleveland)
61 WHQS (Univision Cleveland)

East and Northeast:
16 CHWI-TV (A Wheatley/Stevenson)
22 CIII-TV-22 (Global Wheatley/Stevenson/Chatham)
34 CFTV-TV (Ind. Leamington)
42 CKCO-TV-3 (CTV Sarnia/Oil Springs)

Now, i know that some channels may be harder than others to pull in, and you may get additional analog and digital (sub)channels not listed here, as well as some channels just being unavailable from distance and not receivable at ALL (this probably applies to CKCO-TV-3 and WUDT-CA for you).

To chungdokwan: you should try aiming your antenna south to see what stations you can pick up from the southern shore of Lake Erie. you'll be pleasently surprised of all the options available to you along our shore of Lake Erie.
post #69 of 1435 (permalink) Old 2009-01-09, 12:07 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingtailedFox
You should get an omnidirectional antenna
Thanks for that excellent table!

With all the programming duplication over so many of those channels it is probably best to find the stations that have the best Picture Quality rather than try to get all of them all the time. For instance, if a Toledo CBS station shows up more to your liking than a Cleveland CBS or a Detroit one, aim at Toledo on that channel.

Omnidirectional antennas are unfortunately susceptible to interference from multipath and other origins, and their performance is a compromise. Either a powerful antenna on a rotor or multiple antennas would be a good thing.

post #70 of 1435 (permalink) Old 2009-01-10, 04:18 PM

SunTV does have the right to broadcast in Analog from London.

But in order to broadcast in analog, it would probably cost Quebecor $100ooo+ dollars in order to build a another transmitter.

CBC Broadcast from Toronto on channel 20 (180km). Omni2 broadcast from London on 20. Its unlikey that you will be able to pick up CBC from Toronto.

One more thing about the tables.
I was thinking about how vague tables are. And adding more columns for this regions inside the area. If we add columns for the counties (Essex, kent, Middlesex, etc.) This would give us more info what can be picked up in each area. (ie. in Essex county (windsor) it is highly unlikely that you will be able to Get ch 20 CJMT. Same is true with Middlesex (london) picking up ch 20 WDWB.).

Any options?
Alvaro

PS instead of countries you can use the first 2 digits of your Postal code N0#, N1#, etc.
post #71 of 1435 (permalink) Old 2009-01-10, 04:38 PM

Agreed, Toledo and Detroit channels are next to impossible to pick up here in London thus making the table a little bit confusing. Also I doubt we will ever see SUN TV in analogue here given the current financial situation and the 2011 deadline just over two years away.

Last edited by cm023; 2009-01-10 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Grammar
post #72 of 1435 (permalink) Old 2009-01-10, 04:52 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Thanks guys for the input. I'll try to make changes in the days ahead.

post #73 of 1435 (permalink) Old 2009-01-10, 07:15 PM

But guys, I believe SUN TV is only channel to have translators transmit digital-only in Canada. And analogue shut-off deadline is only about 2 years away, so it is just waste of money for having another analogue transmitter.
post #74 of 1435 (permalink) Old 2009-01-12, 12:29 PM

I agree it would be a waste of ca$h in order to build another analog channel. However in February there should be a fire sell of US analog equipment. And it may be not that expensive to build another analog transmitter.

So there is a small chance for ch 26 to make an appearance. <:
post #75 of 1435 (permalink) Old 2009-01-12, 02:04 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

From everything I've heard in the Canadian broadcasting industry there is no appetite to go analogue anymore. First, the companies are facing the recession just like everyone else so they do not want to risk capital expenditures, but secondly they are planning to just let their analogue transmitters die and then replace them with digital gear as needed.

We're drifing a bit off topic here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in