TVOntario & TFO DTV Transition Status (closed) - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 771 (permalink) Old 2010-06-27, 11:30 AM

Quote:
I would have thought CBC owned the Byron tower and site, but might not because they got into TV later (1988 or so, when Blackburn dis-affiliated CFPL from CBC).
CBC doesn't own it.

http://cbctransmission.ca/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 771 (permalink) Old 2010-06-27, 05:48 PM

CJBK Radio in London had a piece on the Byron tower (about how it was the tallest tower in London) back in 2005 or 2006, and it was identified as being owned by TV Ontario. They even had a TVO engineer on the phone talking about the tower.

I believe TVOntario also owns several towers in Northern Ontario, not including their vast number of low-power repeaters.
post #78 of 771 (permalink) Old 2010-06-30, 04:52 PM
HWP

TVOntario Digital Transition OTA Inquiry Response

I decided to write an email to [email protected] to ask about when the Toronto digital switch-over might occur. Within minutes I received the following response:
Quote:
Thank you for writing to TVO. We’re very glad to hear that you and your family are such ardent fans of TVO and are pleased to address your question regarding off-air high definition broadcasting.

As a not-for-profit broadcaster that relies on provincial funding and public donations, our conversion to digital broadcasting is taking place in a series of phases that will allow us to meet the Canadian deadline while adhering to our budget. In 2007, the CRTC established August 31, 2011 as the cutover date for the transition from analog to digital conventional television in Canada; subsequently, the CRTC recognized that the costs associated with the digital transition could make it financially impractical for some stations located in smaller markets to convert. In March 2010, the CRTC released a policy document (CRTC 2010_167) establishing a baseline group of mandatory markets that must make the transition by August 31 2011.

TVO, along with other conventional broadcasters is planning for its transition to over-the-air digital broadcasting by the aforementioned date. We will be converting our transmission equipment in the mandatory markets outlined by the CRTC (those with populations greater than 300,000, the National Capital Region and communities with multiple originating stations) by the required date of August 31, 2011. The mandatory markets in Ontario include Toronto, Kitchener, London, Windsor, Ottawa and Thunder Bay. TVO’s plans for converting medium/full-power transmitters in the rest of the province are not yet solidified - as a relatively small player, we are also waiting to gain an understanding of how the rest of the industry will handle Ontario markets beyond the mandatory ones.

Working collaboratively with the industry and the CRTC, we will be providing viewers with comprehensive public education on how to access TVO’s off-air high definition signal once plans are finalized. You may be interested in knowing that the CRTC is currently working on plans for a possible subsidy to help defray the costs for over-the-air viewers to purchase digital receiving equipment. In addition, the CRTC is looking into how to make available a free cable and satellite package that would consist of all local and regional conventional over-the-air television signals. TVO, along with other over broadcasters, is following these developments closely.

We hope you find this information helpful and would like to assure you that when our digital conversion plan is completed, you will be able to enjoy our programs with continuing improvements in signal clarity, picture sharpness, and sound quality.

Regards,

Alex
Customer Relations
In a nutshell, it is going to happen in compliance with the deadline in 2011. So no new information but at least it's an update.

Last edited by stampeder; 2010-06-30 at 09:41 PM. Reason: quoting fixed

post #79 of 771 (permalink) Old 2010-06-30, 05:16 PM
Veteran

Note the Emphasis on HD

Interesting. I notice that TVO speaks clearly of high definition in their reply. That is very encouraging as I was afraid that they would take the simpler route of going digital but staying in standard definition. This is an option that many people don't yet understand. I suspect that many smaller market stations are going to adopt this approach in 2011 instead of converting to high definition. If they do then there will be a real digital divide in this country between the bigger and the smaller centres.
post #80 of 771 (permalink) Old 2010-06-30, 11:24 PM
Premium Supporter

That's too bad. TVO might be a small player but in this case it could have become a market leader by converting to digital OTA across Ontario. For example, Quebec's public broadcaster is planning to converting *all* its analog OTA transmitters to digital by August 2011 — even in small markets.
post #81 of 771 (permalink) Old 2010-06-30, 11:28 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Hey, there you go, Ontarians: call your MPP and demand to know why Quebec is doing a better job of converting its public broadcaster than Ontario is!

Seriously though, I'm impressed with Quebec's approach while Ontario and BC continue to muddy the water around the futures of TVO and Knowledge Network, respectively.

post #82 of 771 (permalink) Old 2010-07-01, 10:06 AM
Veteran

"CRTC is currently working on plans for a possible subsidy to help defray the costs for over-the-air viewers to purchase digital receiving equipment."

I didn't think this was confirmed yet? If so, they've got a little over a year left so they better get on with it.
post #83 of 771 (permalink) Old 2010-07-02, 09:54 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by downbeat View Post
For example, Quebec's public broadcaster is planning to converting *all* its analog OTA transmitters to digital by August 2011 — even in small markets.
Although true, not quite a valid comparison since Télé-Québec only has 12 stations and 5 repeaters. TVO on the other hand has 24 full power and 152 low-power transmitters.

Another factor is a much larger percentage of those in Quebec (especially those who speak French) receive their TV OTA than in any other place in Canada, so keeping these transmitters on the air is significantly more politically important.
post #84 of 771 (permalink) Old 2010-07-02, 12:18 PM
Veteran

And Télé-Québec airs commercials. I'm not sure what the proportion of government funding is, relative to commercial revenues. That, coupled with the higer proportion of OTA viewers than elsewhere in the country, could be a factor.

Last edited by Cyclism; 2010-07-02 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed.
post #85 of 771 (permalink) Old 2010-07-02, 12:46 PM
Premium Supporter

That's fair. So let's trim back the numbers a bit. According to TVO's website:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVO
Ninety per cent of the Ontario market accesses TVO through cable and satellite, and 10% of households capture the TVO signal over-the-air. Our broadcast distribution includes 23 major transmitter sites and 150 low-power rebroadcast transmitter locations throughout Ontario.
So let's leave the low-power relays off the table.
That's 23 high- and medium-power OTA transmitters — a more manageable target anyway.
Wikipedia lists them as serving the following communities:
Belleville, Chatham, Cloyne, Hawkesbury, Huntsville, Kenora, Kingston, Kitchener, London, McArthur's Mills (Bancroft), North Bay, Ottawa, Owen Sound, Parry Sound, Pembroke, Penetanguishene, Peterborough, Sault Ste. Marie, Sudbury, Thunder Bay, Timmins, Toronto, Windsor.
post #86 of 771 (permalink) Old 2010-07-02, 01:30 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
That's 23 high- and medium-power OTA transmitters — a more manageable target anyway.
I am not so sure how manageable transitioning 23 transmitters in a little over a year is. I doubt if any Canadian broadcasters will have that many transmitters transitioned by the deadline (just a guess on my part). The problem is, if they go beyond the 6 mandatory markets in Ontario and don't do all of them, where do they draw the line on which other ones will be transitioned?

In some of these markets they might be able to work out a deal where they can share a transmitter with other stations. In others, they may need to do it alone.
post #87 of 771 (permalink) Old 2010-07-02, 03:19 PM
Premium Supporter

You're right, roger1818 — if only broadcasters (not just TVO) hadn't waited until the last moment to get it all done. (Even Télé-Québec, which appears to be super organized with its DTV plans, will need an extra two weeks past the deadline to move equipment around and complete its transition in 2011.)
At least we know the mandatory markets (Toronto/Hamilton/Barrie, London, Windsor, Kitchener, Thunder Bay) will have OTA access to TVO by deadline. That's five transmitters out of 23.
I'd argue that if TVO can swing it, it should convert all their transmitters in the Windsor-Ottawa corridor by the August 2011 transition deadline. So on top of the five listed above, you'd also have Belleville, Chatham, Kingston and Peterborough.
Unless I'm missing a transmitter or two, that's five mandatory and four optional markets. It would be a terrific start for TVO and provide OTA digital TV service to a majority of Ontarians.
post #88 of 771 (permalink) Old 2010-07-02, 03:54 PM
Veteran

Quote:
You're right, roger1818 — if only broadcasters (not just TVO) hadn't waited until the last moment to get it all done. (Even Télé-Québec, which appears to be super organized with its DTV plans, will need an extra two weeks past the deadline to move equipment around and complete its transition in 2011.)
At least we know the mandatory markets (Toronto/Hamilton/Barrie, London, Windsor, Kitchener, Thunder Bay) will have OTA access to TVO by deadline. That's five transmitters out of 23.
I'd argue that if TVO can swing it, it should convert all their transmitters in the Windsor-Ottawa corridor by the August 2011 transition deadline. So on top of the five listed above, you'd also have Belleville, Chatham, Kingston and Peterborough.
Unless I'm missing a transmitter or two, that's five mandatory and four optional markets. It would be a terrific start for TVO and provide OTA digital TV service to a majority of Ontarians.
Add Ottawa. I bet that's an easy one, as CBOFT-DT channel 22 pre-transition transmitter on TVO's Camp Fortune Antenna is bound to be frequency agile enough for channel 24. I'm sure CBC is planning on a new transmitter for CBOFT-DT on channel 9 post-transition, with its antenna at the top of the mast instead of the TVO antenna half-way up..
post #89 of 771 (permalink) Old 2010-07-02, 04:18 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Unless I'm missing a transmitter
You forgot Ottawa, so that is 6 mandatory markets in Ontario.

Quote:
it should convert all their transmitters in the Windsor-Ottawa corridor by the August 2011 transition deadline.
What is so special about the Windsor-Ottawa corridor? If you are going to go beyond the mandatory markets, it should be strictly based on population. Using that, Sudbury should be next in line.

Quote:
you'd also have Belleville, Chatham, Kingston and Peterborough
Though probably unpopular, some might argue that a Belleville doesn't really need its own transmitter as it is just over 60km from the from Peterborough transmitter and just over 70km from the Kingston transmitter. It is also the least populous of the group.
post #90 of 771 (permalink) Old 2010-07-02, 04:28 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvlurker View Post
I bet that's an easy one, as CBOFT-DT channel 22 pre-transition transmitter on TVO's Camp Fortune Antenna is bound to be frequency agile enough for channel 24.
Alternately, TVO might buy SunTV's transmitter if they do indeed go off-air in January. CBC might be able to re-use their transmitter elsewhere in the country.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in